Picture in picture in Palemoon? Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Picture in picture in Palemoon?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-02-16, 19:40

Hello,

is this feature will be in Palemoon in the future? I am trying Firefox now after few years and Picture in picture is ingenious. I can working and watching videos at the same time.

Thank you in advance.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Picture in picture in Palemoon?

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-17, 00:14

From the sound of it (didn't check myself), it can probably be implemented as an extension that opens a window with the video in it.
Of course it will have to handle all kind of special cases for each website hosting the video...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-17, 02:16

Useless feature as it cannot display subtitles.

Before posting ANYTHING in this subforum - look for an extension that does the job. Firefox castrated the ability to make XUL extensions and are making up for it by bloating the browser core with extras like this that are better implemented as extensions for those who want them instead of being forced on everyone. For Youtube, there is 'Youtube Video Player Pop Out' on CAA.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-02-17, 11:27

moonbat: Did you tried Picture in Picture on Firefox? It works on every HTML5 player (not only on Youtube) . Of course that I tried find any extension, but I can't find anything. That's the reason, why I posted it here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-17, 11:39

Useless feature is useless. A message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Also, what is a "Palemoon"?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-02-17, 11:48

Use an external video player window if you really can't live without it.

1. Put youtube-dl.exe in C:\Windows (needs to be there). Update it every now and then.
2. Get MPC-HC
3. MPC-HC/Options/Advanced: set "UseYDL" to True and optionally resolution/quality settings below that.
4. CTRL-O, paste link, done. CTRL-A toggles "Always on top". Works with many websites.

Optionally, if you don't want to put youtube-dl.exe in C:\Windows:

Put it anywhere you like and create a youtube-dl.exe Symbolic Link in C:\Windows. I suggest the easy to use linkMaker. Make sure you know what you are doing, backup etc. I assume you are on Windows.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2020-02-17, 15:56

Off-topic:
SGvagon wrote:
2020-02-16, 19:40
I can working and watching videos at the same time.
Working and watching videos at the same time? Don't ever tell this to your employer. :shh:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-17, 16:00

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-02-17, 11:39

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-02-17, 20:40

Off-topic:
An amalgamation. :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-17, 20:47

ron_1 wrote:
2020-02-17, 20:40
Of what?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-17, 20:49

Off-topic:
2020-02-17, 20:47
ron_1 wrote:
2020-02-17, 20:40
Of what?
of fanboi-ism, historical Mozilla naming practices, Pale Moon and build system quirks?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-02-17, 23:23

So, the answer is no? If this feature is useless for you?

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-02-17, 23:28

back2themoon wrote:
2020-02-17, 11:48
Use an external video player window if you really can't live without it.

1. Put youtube-dl.exe in C:\Windows (needs to be there). Update it every now and then.
2. Get MPC-HC
3. MPC-HC/Options/Advanced: set "UseYDL" to True and optionally resolution/quality settings below that.
4. CTRL-O, paste link, done. CTRL-A toggles "Always on top". Works with many websites.

Optionally, if you don't want to put youtube-dl.exe in C:\Windows:

Put it anywhere you like and create a youtube-dl.exe Symbolic Link in C:\Windows. I suggest the easy to use linkMaker. Make sure you know what you are doing, backup etc. I assume you are on Windows.
I can live without it, I only asked if this or similar feature will be in Palemoon. Your solution is only for Youtube well? PiP (Picture in Picture) in Firefox works on almost all html5 players.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-17, 23:42

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-18, 02:08

SGvagon wrote:
2020-02-17, 11:27
moonbat: Did you tried Picture in Picture on Firefox? It works on every HTML5 player (not only on Youtube) . Of course that I tried find any extension, but I can't find anything. That's the reason, why I posted it here.
I have, and like I said, it cannot display subtitles. Hence useless.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-02-18, 08:41

SGvagon wrote:
2020-02-17, 23:28
Your solution is only for Youtube well? PiP (Picture in Picture) in Firefox works on almost all html5 players.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-18, 10:19

It doesn't look like the Chrome-made-Firefox gadget is technically feasible in Pale Moon. It relies exclusively on using a separate browser element in its own process window overlaid over the current page in an always-on-top fashion (meaning it will likely cause issues with window ordering of other applications as well). It's a pretty nasty hack relying on e10s to pull it off.

I suggest you use the offered MPC-HC solution or create an extension (if possible) to do something similar.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-18, 10:48

I already hate how a bunch of websites do this video overlay in the corner nonsense especially when you scroll.. I do NOT want to see this in the Unified XUL Platform. It is literally ridiculous especially considering the technical issues in doing such a thing.

So that is my 'no' vote as your friendly UXP Coordinator.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-18, 11:22

I've been trying to make an extension to do this for Youtube (and hopefully after that a few others like Dailymotion that allow embeds) in a separate top level window. Still stuck with calling the <browser> element through javascript.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-02-18, 22:06

2020-02-18, 10:48
I already hate how a bunch of websites do this video overlay in the corner nonsense especially when you scroll.. I do NOT want to see this in the Unified XUL Platform. It is literally ridiculous especially considering the technical issues in doing such a thing.

So that is my 'no' vote as your friendly UXP Coordinator.
For ex. on Facebook I like this feature. You can play long video or stream and then scroll down without losing it. If you don't want this overlay player, you can just pause the video before scrolling.