WordPress editor broken

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Agent Orange

Re: WordPress editor broken

Unread post by Agent Orange » 2019-09-17, 20:59

For anyone stumbling across this thread:

I suppose discussion on this is to be consolidated over on Project Gutenberg's GitHub issues until we get it nailed down a bit further

https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17412
Off-topic:
ETA: :lol: of course this post would be the first one to not appear on page 1 of the thread.

sebigbos

Unread post by sebigbos » 2020-02-08, 12:59

I´m just a user. I have the same bug using mypal, which is an adaptation of the palemoon browser to xp.
I can use newest version of wordpress/gutenberg (5.3.2) and the to palemoon 28.5.2 corresponding version of mypal without the bug appearing. Since version 28.6.0 the bug appears

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2020-02-15, 05:47

Something of the 'remove unboxed object" broken this. That code stuff is too complex for me, i do not understand what it does. But i know that you have taken the idea from the firefox to improve performance. However firefox with this code change does not have the bug.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-15, 11:27

Fedor2 wrote:
2020-02-15, 05:47
i know that you have taken the idea from the firefox to improve performance.
No, unboxed objects were not in fact used -- all of this was disabled code and shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on code execution.
If you are certain this causes the issue then please help by trying to narrow it down to the exact code commit. It's always possible a mistake was made that causes some subtle issue, although strange that it didn't pop up at all until here in that case...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2020-02-22, 09:21

I was trying to narrow. Revert command failed then i did format patch and checkout command to commit before all unboxed code.
There is a patch as found about. 349-358 and after 482 i can compile and confirm that they not affect. Remained 359-383 fail to compile without each other, they are to compile all whole to work and they affects. Can you give a hint to separate them by manual edit. By the way some patches are the same at all 461-472 for example, i did not apply duplicates.

Code: Select all

0349-Unhook-Unboxed-Objects-option.patch
0351-remove-unboxed-code-chunk-wip1.patch
0352-Remove-initial-chunk-of-Unboxed-Objects-machinery-pa.patch
0355-Remove-Unboxed-Objects-in-ScalarReplacement.patch
0356-Remove-unboxed-objects-from-GC.patch
0357-Remove-unboxed-object-code-from-iteration.patch
0358-Remove-array-header.patch
0359-Remove-Unboxed-Objects-from-vm-Part-1-fix-deprot.patch
0360-Remove-unboxed-object-code-from-jit-Part-1.patch
0361-Remove-Unboxed-Objects-from-vm-Part-2.patch
0370-Remove-UnboxedArray-code-part-1.patch
0373-Remove-UnboxedArray-code-part-2.patch
0426-Fix-1091-deprot.patch
0446-Make-use-of-ArrayObjects-in-favor-of-generic-JS-obje.patch
0447-Remove-unused-LIR-temp-register-for-unboxed-arrays.patch
0448-Remove-unboxed-array-context-option-and-shell-flag.patch
0449-Remove-functors-for-array-natives.patch
0450-Convert-CopyBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements-to-calls-to-.patch
0451-Clean-up-and-rename-MoveBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements.patch
0452-Replace-SetOrExtendBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements-with-.patch
0458-Remove-and-clean-up-more-code.patch
0459-Update-comment.patch
0460-Remove-JSOP_SPREADCALLARRAY-and-just-use-JSOP_NEWARR.patch
0461-Remove-inline-CanonicalizeArrayLengthValue.patch
0462-Fix-typo-in-ArrayShiftMoveElements.patch
0463-Fix-a-typo-in-ArraySliceOrdinary.patch
0464-Revert-Remove-JSOP_SPREADCALLARRAY-and-just-use-JSOP.patch
0465-Fix-typo-in-ArrayShiftMoveElements.patch
0466-Convert-CopyBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements-to-something.patch
0467-Clean-up-and-rename-MoveBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements.patch
0468-Replace-SetOrExtendBoxedOrUnboxedDenseElements-with-.patch
0469-Remove-and-clean-up-more-code.patch
0470-Update-comment.patch
0471-Remove-JSOP_SPREADCALLARRAY-and-just-use-JSOP_NEWARR.patch
0472-Remove-inline-CanonicalizeArrayLengthValue.patch
0473-Tabs-Spaces-no-code-change.patch
0476-Call-a-more-generic-function-when-inlining-array-nat.patch
0478-Remove-Unboxed-Object-code-from-jit-Part-2.patch
0479-Fix-unified-deprot.patch
0480-Remove-Unboxed-Object-code-from-jit-Part-3.patch
0481-Remove-Unboxed-Object-code-from-jit-Part-4.patch
0482-Remove-Unboxed-Object-code-from-vm-Part-3.patch
0483-Remove-Unboxed-Objects-Option-Code.patch
0484-Remove-unboxed-object-tests.patch
0485-Remove-UnboxedObjects-ObjectGroup-addendum.patch
0488-Clean-up-MObjectState.patch
0489-Remove-anyNewScript.patch

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-22, 10:32

I don't know how you patched your stuff. Please note that this work was landed in two PRs, #1137 and #1142, and the first was a redo after issues, merged back into the work branch to rebase from there to land the rest in the second PR.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2020-02-22, 13:55

First i did git checkout Pale_Moon-release then git format-patch HEAD~100 what was enough to cover from version 28.5, next checkout to commit before 0349-Unhook-Unboxed-Objects-option, did build and confirmed that workpress works normally. Next i was applying a patch and compiling one by one, and check wordpress, which works normally too. But on particular patch app failed to compile and i had to apply all following patches to get working app and confirmed that wordpress is broken. That is lots of code, i ask and look to find right part of the code that affects, what things of those can be sensetive for the wordpress editor, can it be vm or jit or array. I try to get what is JSOP_SPREADCALLARRAY too. But i dont understand either why format patch command gives duplicate patches.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-22, 13:59

I don't know what you expect from us.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-22, 14:22

I've pretty much ruled out jit as being the problem -- disabling jit still displays the issue on current -release.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-23, 11:36

It's possible that I made a mistake in removing unboxed arrays/objects code (since it wasn't extensively peer-reviewed and a lot of work volume) so I'm reverting that code on a branch now to see if it solves the issue. If it does, then I'll have to re-do it more carefully when I have the time. Perhaps someone else can look over the code changes and spot any mistake made.
Without knowing exactly what wordpress is trying to do in the editor, though, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

EDIT: And of course when I'm ready to test it, the wordpress demo site is down... Damn you, Murphy!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-23, 15:11

Tracking in Issue #1460 (UXP)
Using a different demo site with the three PRs backed out (with necessary changes for code differences) I've been able to confirm this is, in fact, a rarely triggered browser bug.

sebigbos

Unread post by sebigbos » 2020-03-26, 09:39

it becomes ugly. Since yesterday palemoon doesn´t show any more the links to "code editor" and "visual editor" and the Gutenberg editor only shows the html-code, no blocks anymore. This happens with the newest version of palemoon but also with version 28.5.2 which doesn´t show the "press enter deletes half of the block"-bug.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-26, 10:14

Since you just say "since yesterday" without mentioning a version, please check what version you have and if it's not 28.9.0.2, update first.

sebigbos

Unread post by sebigbos » 2020-03-26, 11:58

sorry, I wrote "newest version" but it is still 28.8.4. I use the xp compatible adaption provided by feodor2, mypal, and yet I didn´t get the newest update.

Since yesterday I said, because I didn´t change anything, no wordpress or plugin update, no change in the configuration or version of mypal/palemoon and wuuup: no visual editor anymore, in none of my 3 installations. I´m surprised.

using a pretty old firefox esr, the latest, I think it´s 54 something, there is no problem at all.

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2020-03-26, 12:13

sebigbos wrote:
2020-03-26, 11:58
sorry, I wrote "newest version" but it is still 28.8.4. I use the xp compatible adaption provided by feodor2, mypal, and yet I didn´t get the newest update.
Wait for Mypal 28.9.0.2.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-26, 12:14

sebigbos wrote:
2020-03-26, 11:58
I use the xp compatible adaption provided by feodor2, mypal, and yet I didn´t get the newest update.
Please don't ask us for support for unrelated derivatives. Ask the people creating them.