Pale Moon's version number

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Someone Else

Pale Moon's version number

Unread post by Someone Else » 2020-02-13, 14:33

I am just wondering, back when Pale Moon switched to its own Goanna engine, why was the version number not reset
to something more logical and sensible? As it is now Pale Moon's current version number seems misleading.
There have not been 28 individual major releases of the browser from 1.0 to 28.0.
The only reason the version number is in the 20s now, is because up until a certain point it used to follow the Firefox codebase and version numbering.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon's version number

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-13, 14:44

Extension Compatibility
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-13, 15:33

This is the same reason that Basilisk and Interlink retain their respective 52.9 version numbers even if it isn't widely displayed.

Someone Else

Unread post by Someone Else » 2020-02-13, 15:39

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-13, 14:44
Extension Compatibility
So what would have happened if the Pale Moon version number had been reset to for example 2.0 and gone up from there
after the transition to the Goanna engine? All extensions would have been broken and would have had to be rewritten?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-13, 16:05

Correct. Indeed there will be a new rash of incompatible extensions on release of the new milestone, Pale Moon 29. Because from the extension's standpoint it is going to think it is Firefox 29. This will cause conditional code paths to fail because of missing Australis components and dependent code. Simply put, Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again. It was true in 2015 will be true at Pale Moon 29.

Firefox extensions need to be properly forked and made into Pale Moon extensions. That is all there is to it. It's been a long time coming, five years in fact so snap to it.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-02-13, 18:43

29 is some sort of magical version number after which all hell will break loose?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-13, 18:53

Think. Use your memory. What happened at Firefox 29?

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-02-14, 17:58

I have no idea, I haven't used Firefox for who knows how many years (and I barely ever go here anymore so I'm out of the development-related loop).

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-02-14, 18:35

IIRC FF 29 is when they introduced the Australis UI. So any non-PM-specific extensions that tried to retain compatibility with both UI styles in the same version might break if they think PM 29 is now FF 29.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-02-15, 14:52

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-02-13, 15:33
This is the same reason that Basilisk and Interlink retain their respective 52.9 version numbers even if it isn't widely displayed.
Did Thunderbird not have significant application code changes after Australis?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-15, 21:12

Do some research. I am not gonna hand you every answer on a silver platter that can be found on this very forum.