12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

KlarkKentThe3rd
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 363
Joined: 2018-04-20, 20:31

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-02-11, 23:46

Just checked on Waterfox and Safari. It works! (doesn't work)

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28139
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Moonchild » 2020-02-11, 23:47

Of course Waterfox doesn't work. Mozilla killed support for it a while ago, and Alex hasn't done anything to restore it.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 150
Joined: 2017-09-27, 06:50

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by hujan86 » 2020-02-12, 00:33

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-11, 23:47
Mozilla killed support for it a while ago
Explains why I can't connect to the forum via Fennec F-Droid
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber
SierraChart_100 wrote:Firefox started off good and gradually descended into absurdity.
Moonraker wrote:Palemoon is still the only fully customised browser available.
basicuser wrote:Pale Moon an oasis of sanity in a sea of stupid.
Image

roytam1
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 169
Joined: 2015-03-11, 07:01
Location: Hong Kong

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by roytam1 » 2020-02-12, 06:02

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-11, 23:19
roytam1 wrote:
2020-02-11, 23:18
and it looks fun in SSLlabs report now!
And your point being?
SSLLabs simulates lots of clients to see weather they can connect or not, as shown in report.

User avatar
moonbat
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2269
Joined: 2015-12-09, 15:45

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by moonbat » 2020-02-12, 06:47

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-11, 23:19
roytam1 wrote:
2020-02-11, 23:18
and it looks fun in SSLlabs report now!
And your point being?
All the Camellia ciphers are flagged as weak by this test :wtf:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Image
Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
Advanced URL Builder(fork)|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

User avatar
Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 263
Joined: 2015-08-24, 14:55
Location: Lemberg

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Al6bus » 2020-02-12, 08:52

my ipad with ios 10 (safari) @ doesn't work either :roll:
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for e10s(multiprocessing) or another alternative implementation :)

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28139
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Moonchild » 2020-02-12, 10:57

moonbat wrote:
2020-02-12, 06:47
All the Camellia ciphers are flagged as weak by this test :wtf:
It's because they have started flagging ALL block ciphers as "weak". This is because there have been a few attacks against block ciphers recently and they will remain subject to that class of attack even though jumping to the conclusion that all CBC ciphers are by definition weak is going a bit too far.

Unfortunately, OpenSSL on which nginx builds currently doesn't implement AEAD/GCM versions of the suites with Camellia (while it is part of RFC 6367). I've opened an issue on their GitHub to please consider it and they are amenable to do so if someone would file a PR for it (I personally can't, my knowledge of C as a language is much more limited than C++ and I am too busy otherwise with UXP to research what's needed for this PR).
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/11061

I've also opened a BZ bug against NSS to please consider adding AEAD/GCM suites with Camellia for future use. bug #1614758
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

Dustie_Rose
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 42
Joined: 2016-11-14, 15:34
Location: Texas U.S.

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Dustie_Rose » 2020-02-12, 16:16

Thankyou guys for this very much appreciated free lesson. I did not know about this one, something to brush up about. Happy hearts day to those who acknowledge the event.
~Dustie_Rose

User avatar
Kathuluforz
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 302
Joined: 2019-06-13, 13:42
Location: Montana

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Kathuluforz » 2020-02-12, 21:08

Personally I feel kind of satisfied, both at the fact that I chose the right browser, and the fact that the supposed "recommended" browsers;
Crum, FF,safari,opera etc cannot access this site today! :lol:
Off-topic:
I am almost tempted to play a joke; spam this thread on bitchute with a click bait title and see how many complain :twisted:
Pale Moon 28.14.2 (64) Win7 pro (64)

"People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think." ~ Aldous Huxley
'DON'T PANIC'

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 323
Joined: 2012-05-17, 19:06

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Admin » 2020-02-12, 21:21

Off-topic:
Kathuluforz wrote:
2020-02-12, 21:08
I am almost tempted to play a joke; spam this thread on bitchute with a click bait title and see how many complain :twisted:
Of course we can't stop you if you really want to go and do this, but we do ask you show a little restraint.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"
Image

User avatar
Kathuluforz
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 302
Joined: 2019-06-13, 13:42
Location: Montana

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Kathuluforz » 2020-02-12, 21:40

Oh sorry I should have been more specific... I was Almost tempted by a random thought, but I am equally aware of the possible repercussions to such a stunt so I would not, nor would I advise it. Just sounded funny to me.
Pale Moon 28.14.2 (64) Win7 pro (64)

"People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think." ~ Aldous Huxley
'DON'T PANIC'

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28139
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Moonchild » 2020-02-12, 22:14

You're fine :) -- It was obviously meant as general advice, but also that we can't (nor will try to) stop you or anyone else from doing anything if you insist, even if unwise.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
Kathuluforz
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 302
Joined: 2019-06-13, 13:42
Location: Montana

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Kathuluforz » 2020-02-13, 02:20

Still it is good advice, things like I thought of have a tendency to backfire in unexpected ways.
Maybe I should have included the /jk with the off topic part?
Anyways here's a better thought to make up for the last one:
Image
Pale Moon 28.14.2 (64) Win7 pro (64)

"People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think." ~ Aldous Huxley
'DON'T PANIC'

User avatar
Vultural
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 53
Joined: 2015-08-26, 16:32
Location: Cheung Chau

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Vultural » 2020-02-13, 02:42

Accessed the forum, using the XP computer and FF 43 just now.
Perhaps the 12th deadline has passed.
Or I misunderstood the Carmilla only alert.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28139
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Moonchild » 2020-02-13, 02:44

The deadline has passed.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 263
Joined: 2015-08-24, 14:55
Location: Lemberg

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Al6bus » 2020-02-13, 08:51

Al6bus wrote:
2020-02-12, 08:52
my ipad with ios 10 (safari) @ doesn't work either :roll:
it's working now :think:
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for e10s(multiprocessing) or another alternative implementation :)

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28139
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by Moonchild » 2020-02-13, 08:54

Al6bus wrote:
2020-02-13, 08:51
Al6bus wrote:
2020-02-12, 08:52
my ipad with ios 10 (safari) @ doesn't work either :roll:
it's working now :think:
. . . So is everyone now going to post here again that it works while it previously didn't on browsers that don't support the cipher? I hope not :)
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose
Image

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 8049
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: I'm.. over there.

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-13, 08:55

Seems all we have accomplished is expose the sheer amount of misinformation and confusion there is about security with a smidgen of abject hatred from outside sources. Just as well anyway. Maybe it will promote some deeper examination and learning for those whom are predisposed to that sort of thing. The rest? Well, we'll see.
Your computer has too much computer in it and not enough typewriter.
Image

User avatar
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2282
Joined: 2012-06-28, 01:20

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by ron_1 » 2020-02-13, 13:50

Dumb question: if Camellia is much better than AES, and I believe you guys that it is, why hasn't it gained more acceptance?

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 8049
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: I'm.. over there.

Re: 12 Feb: Camellia Appreciation Day!

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-13, 14:11

That is a question better asked in Off Topic.
Your computer has too much computer in it and not enough typewriter.
Image

Locked