Poll: add a "duplicate tab" menu item?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.

Add a "Duplicate Tab" menu item?

Poll ended at 2020-02-16, 11:19

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 44

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Poll: add a "duplicate tab" menu item?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-09, 11:19

Since people have asked this repeatedly, but I don't particularly see the need for adding yet another entry to the right-click menu of tabs when there are already 3 other ways of duplicating a tab available (middle-click the reload button, Ctrl+click the reload button, and Ctrl+drag the tab), i'll make this a community vote now:
Should we add a right-click menu option to tabs to duplicate the tab?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Poll: add a "duplicate tab" menu item?

Unread post by therube » 2020-02-09, 13:20

Yes.
Not easily discoverable <sp>. I had no clue that functionality existed - with those shortcut keys.

The only shortcut I was aware of is Alt+ENTER, from the URL bar.
(Ctrl+ENTER in SeaMonkey.)

If you right-click a tab, & the context menu reads, "Duplicate Tab", well, there it is.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-02-09, 13:39

No extra clutter please. There's the excellent Tab Utilities Phoenix than can add the context-menu entry, and as mentioned you can already duplicate without an extension.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-02-10, 14:07

I'm ambivalent because I'm so used to CTRL+drag+drop.

Given the number of requests for the feature, I'd maybe say yes? Unless someone wants to make a Good First Extension (TM) that just adds that option to the menu.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-02-10, 15:16

The poll as of now is 71% No and 29% Yes...Looks like it's going to the No's And IMO as it should be; Really no reason to add additional
clutter to the menu when the same thing can be accomplished very easily by other means or an extension if a user is really that lazy.

Sounds a lot like unnecessary "Make work" for the PM crew to me, enabling user incompetence, and totally unnecessary/redundant IMO.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-10, 15:21

Isengrim wrote:
2020-02-10, 14:07
Unless someone wants to make a Good First Extension (TM) that just adds that option to the menu.
As it is some other extensions already have this as an option; but a simple "add this entry" extension for people who can't live without it should certainly work too.
So something for one of the people who voted "yes" to do :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2020-02-10, 16:08

Personally, I'm well aware of the different ways to duplicate tabs, so I don't suffer from it. I recently asked for the context menu entry to be displayed by default for the benefit of less knowledgeable users. Since the suggestion keeps coming back and that mainstream browsers have already implemented this feature, there's a need for it!

Regardless of the result of this poll, I want to thank you, Moonchild, for creating it. Let the community decide!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-10, 16:14

Aube Bleue wrote:
2020-02-10, 16:08
Since the suggestion keeps coming back and that mainstream browsers have already implemented this feature, there's a need for it!
Let's have the votes decide whether there's actually a need for it beyond those that raise their voices, shall we?
There's a good chance that people ask for it for no other reason than that the browser they came from (which we are not) has it.

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2020-02-10, 16:24

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-10, 16:14
Let's have the votes decide whether there's actually a need for it beyond those that raise their voices, shall we?
Sure. That's my opinion on the matter, not an absolute truth. ;) So let the community decide.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-10, 17:24

I.. personally don't care but don't ask for it for Borealis cause it ain't gonna happen. Likely not for Basilisk either bit that isn't ny affair.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-10, 20:23

Basilisk will not be having its front-end changed as a design decision; at least for maximum "legacy" firefox extension compat, but also because the target audience expects a static Firefox-y 52-ish front-end.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2020-02-10, 21:25

Kathuluforz wrote:
2020-02-10, 15:16
The poll as of now is 71% No and 29% Yes...Looks like it's going to the No's And IMO as it should be; Really no reason to add additional
clutter to the menu when the same thing can be accomplished very easily by other means or an extension if a user is really that lazy.

Sounds a lot like unnecessary "Make work" for the PM crew to me, enabling user incompetence, and totally unnecessary/redundant IMO.
Sorry but i don't think like you.
I don't use "middle-click the reload button, Ctrl+click the reload button, Ctrl+drag the tab..." , i dislike the shortcut keys.
So i installed an extension and i don't think that i'm lazy.
Adding additional clutter to the menu ? this is only 1 line "Duplicate Tab"...
"enabling user incompetence" :think:

I know that others browsers have already this feature so if some people don't wish to use shortcut keys or an extension, why not ?

I voted yes.

ps : the poll runs till 16 Feb 2020, we will see how it goes.
Last edited by Nightbird on 2020-02-10, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2020-02-10, 22:44

It's behavior that I use all the time, so I enable it with TMP.
If MC wasted his time implementing it, then I'd have to waste my time disabling it.

One person's "essential feature" is another person's "bloat".
I like a bare bones extensible PM; I see no reason for MC to spend his time doing stuff a user can do for themselves.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-10, 22:52

Nightbird wrote:
2020-02-10, 21:25
Adding additional clutter to the menu ? this is only 1 line "Duplicate Tab"...
And if everyone who comes up with anything they'd like for their personal workflow thinks like that, the context menu will soon scroll off the screen.

It has to be something that a significant amount of people would need or actually (objectively) improves the browser. In the case of something like this, that already has plenty of ways AND extensions to do it, that means we'd need a majority to justify adding it.
But I guess that's not how far people think who just want want want. What might be something for you isn't necessarily something for everyone. Those are the kinds of decisions we need to make here, and what we need to balance. You can fault me personally for that but that's kind of petty, don't you think? Do you want a democracy? Well in a democracy not everyone gets what they want. If it were up to me it'd be a solid "no" as already evidenced by the previous issues opened on GitHub for it. But no, I'm letting you all decide in a purely democratic way here. If you don't like the outcome, whatever it may turn out to be, then tough shit; the majority doesn't agree with you.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2020-02-10, 23:13

Voted "No", but... I would like that to action "duplicate tab" will be performed in the background tab.
Each time after the upgrade, I manually edit browser.js in omni.ja

Code: Select all

let where = whereToOpenLink(aEvent, false, true);
  if (where == "current") BrowserReload();
  else duplicateTabIn(gBrowser.selectedTab, "ontab");
//    duplicateTabIn(gBrowser.selectedTab, where);

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-11, 00:36

jars_ wrote:
2020-02-10, 23:13
I manually edit browser.js in omni.ja
:thumbdown: :x

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-11, 05:23

jars_ wrote:
2020-02-10, 23:13
Each time after the upgrade, I manually edit browser.js in omni.ja
So what you're saying is we need to change omnijar format to something 7zip, winrar, or zlib can't open but the browser can maybe with an integrity check? Or better yet bring back jar signing only for the application jars to improve security against malware looking to tamper with omnijar.

What a good feature request, thank you for suggesting it!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-11, 11:26

Off-topic:
Did application jars previously used to be signed?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-11, 11:52

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2020-02-11, 11:26
Off-topic:
Did application jars previously used to be signed?
Extensions used to regularly be author-signed with jar signing, before Mozilla broke it to enforce their extension signing that was "almost" jar signing but not quite.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-02-11, 13:51

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-11, 11:52
Off-topic:
their extension signing that was "almost" jar signing but not quite.
Off-topic:
Whoa, I didn't know they even broke compatibility with this.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX