All saved passwords gone

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Octopuss

All saved passwords gone

Unread post by Octopuss » 2019-11-15, 08:22

I think this happens every few months, but I'm not sure at all.
Anyway, few days ago ALL my saved passwords were deleted from PM without any apparent reason.

Is this supposed to happen under some circumstances?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: All saved passwords gone

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-15, 08:41

If you've ever cleared history from preferences->privacy, and it was set to also delete saved passwords. Anyhow, use an open source password manager for redundancy, I can recommend Bitwarden, it supports Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and has browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox (which for obvious reasons won't work with Pale Moon, being Webextensions).

Could maybe be also if it got overwritten during sync with a different installation, though that shouldn't happen.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2019-11-15, 09:51

I didn't clean anything, nor am I using Sync. It just happened out of the blue (between sessions I presume, but I can't really tell because you don't notice immediatelly).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-15, 10:25

We're going to need a lot more information to go on other than "it randomly happens every few month, I think".
There must be a reason for this, but I'm afraid it might be something outside of the browser being involved. My own use of the browser (including several unstables) has never seen this happen in the last 10 years, nor has it been reported before like this to my knowledge.
moonbat wrote:
2019-11-15, 08:41
maybe be also if it got overwritten during sync
This doesn't happen unless you explicitly delete passwords on a synced computer, OR force a replacement reset in sync.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-15, 11:02

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-15, 10:25
This doesn't happen unless you explicitly delete passwords on a synced computer, OR force a replacement reset in sync.
Yeah, I meant the latter. It happened to someone else here within the last month as I recall - they had triggered a sync from a fresh install and it overwrote the existing sync data.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-15, 11:04

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-11-15, 11:02
Moonchild wrote:
Yeah, I meant the latter. It happened to someone else here within the last month as I recall - they had triggered a sync from a fresh install and it overwrote the existing sync data.
A fresh install won't overwrite the existing sync data!
What happened with that person was that they had a fresh install on a new computer, synced the data to it, then started deleting data on the old computer, and those deletions being more recent got synced across to the new one.

Marking this offtopic since Octopuss is not using sync. Just as an aside.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-11-15, 19:34

Just a speculation, but it could be that some security software doesn't like Pale Moon passwords file and deletes it as part of its scan which is triggered once in a while.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-11-15, 19:55

I have had the same happen once before and I had to restore the profile. I wasn't synching or doing anything strange.
I have, ever since, backed up the profile daily just in case it happened again - of course it hasn't happened since.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2019-11-15, 21:46

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-11-15, 08:41
Anyhow, use an open source password manager for redundancy, I can recommend Bitwarden,
I use KeePass.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2019-11-18, 20:04

Moonchild wrote:
We're going to need a lot more information to go on other than "it randomly happens every few month, I think".
There must be a reason for this, but I'm afraid it might be something outside of the browser being involved. My own use of the browser (including several unstables) has never seen this happen in the last 10 years, nor has it been reported before like this to my knowledge.
I know.
If I could provide more information I would, but unfortunately I cannot. I know it did happen to me in the past few years a few times, and always after a long time (like months I would say at least).
So, I know there probably isn't a solution since it doesn't seem to be happening to others, or not often enough for it to be a known problem (if it's PM-related, which I cannot judge given the lack of useful information).
:(

The only possible thing I can think of is after a very unfortunate appcrash which breaks more than just the session files, but to my uneducated head this doesn't make much sense either, because if a crash is serious enough, the entire profile usually seems to go down.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-18, 21:00

Yeah, I'm sorry I can't be of more help -- All I can suggest here is to keep very regular backups if this is known to happen on your system.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2019-11-22, 09:46

You mean the entire profile I presume.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-22, 11:02

Octopuss wrote:
2019-11-22, 09:46
You mean the entire profile I presume.
Yeah. Since it's all self contained in one directory, easy to run a batch job to compress it on a schedule (but only when Pale Moon isn't running).

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-22, 11:47

Octopuss wrote:
2019-11-22, 09:46
the entire profile I presume
Backing up the entire profile periodically is a REALLY good idea.
But be aware that there are tools for backing up only your passwords.
I use Password Backup Tool for that.

You might also want to check out FEBE, which AFAIU (I haven't used it) allows to back up everything or selectively as you choose.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-23, 07:33

If this is Windows, you can navigate to a shadow copy and get your passwords back. If Pale Moon is anything like Firefox, then there are two files that store the passwords. And they are, key4.db and logins.json. These two files will be in your Pale Moon profile located in the:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[your_profile_name].default
folder. Replace [your username] with your computer's username and your_profile_name with the profile name.

Just go to the control panel and under folder options and turn on show hidden files, folders and drives. Now go under C drive under users and go from there. Or to make life easier. Download and install Everything.exe and search for the two files key4.db and logins.json. If you right click the files in Everything.exe you can go to their locations. Then you can make a shortcut of your profile folder to the desktop. https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Now to the shadow copy part. Windows backs everything up whether you know it or not. You can use a program called shadow copy view and find an old, but recent shadow copy and find the old key4.db and logins.json files.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shadow_copy_view.html

Now I can't get the find to work. So what you do is find a recent shadow copy at the top and then at the bottom navigate to your Pale Moon profile where the key4.db and logins.json files are located at. Right click and chose Copy Selected Files To. And chose the desktop. Then copy those two files back to your profile folder. That should give your passwords back.
Last edited by John connor on 2019-11-23, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-23, 07:35

To backup your profile use this: https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-23, 09:49

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-11-23, 07:35
To backup your profile use this: https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml
Not required for anyone that isn't scared to use Windows Explorer.

C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\ contains the profile directory. All you have to do is copy the directory from here (multiple, if you've made multiple profiles) to a backup location while Pale Moon isn't running.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2020-02-01, 22:18

I have just done some cache clearing and whatnot, and SOME passwords are gone again. Bizzarrely, only some sites lost them.

Would it be possible to add a line in the clear history window to the relevant checkbox saying this thing will eliminate saved passwords? I have no idea which one it is, but one of them for sure.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-02-02, 01:33

Octopuss wrote:
2020-02-01, 22:18
cache clearing and whatnot
Have never known cache clearing to remove saved passwords.
What was the "whatnot"?

Did you use "Forget about this site" ? It removes every possible category of history (and is the only thing I can think of to explain your issue, particularly since it's just "SOME" passwords).

See this SUMO article: "Remove a single website from your history"

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2020-02-02, 04:29

Octopuss wrote:
2020-02-01, 22:18
... and SOME passwords are gone again. Bizzarrely, only some sites lost them.
Happened to me 2 or 3 years ago with a major update to PM 27 (??). I can't remember what it was exactly, but it had to do with my stone age FF profile copied to Pale Moon (which worked well for a long time) and some changes to the password related database files (signons.sqlite, key3.db...)
I first thought some few passwords were lost, but in the remains I found some logins with outdated passwords, which led me to the conclusion PM was perhaps not "losing some passwords" but (re-)loads some outdated FF database file (or an old backup, living in the profile folder).
I'm really not sure about the causes and solution, but if your problem has to do with this old profile or file confusion, with "lost passwords" in GD search you might find those older posts (only 3 pages). One trick was to just rename those files... I remember it worked for me first, but then I decided to clean install Pale Moon (and import old bookmarks, pws...). Never regretted the clean up.