Zotero with PM 24.0.2 (x64) problem seeing MS Word 2010

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
terrytoe

Zotero with PM 24.0.2 (x64) problem seeing MS Word 2010

Unread post by terrytoe » 2013-10-06, 22:51

Hi guys,

I've looked around the forum here and over at Zotero.org but have yet to find anything to remedy the problem, any help greatly appreciated.

The issue is explained in the link to the Zotero forum below which gives detail on what I've tried so far. Basically the problem involves the plug-in that allows Zotero for Firefox to communicate with Word (2010 in this case). Zotero (browser version) works perfectly in Pale Moon 24.0.2 except it won't communicate with Word, which is a major pain. :(

I've just made the move from Endnote back to Zotero. Frustratingly, it all works fine in Firefox, but I don't want to go back to Firefox as I've been a convert to Pale Moon for some time now. I would really love to get this sorted as it seems to be a minor communication issue. I'd really appreciate it anyone has anything useful to add, I've been trying to sort this all day today and no joy so far. :crazy:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/32 ... ent_168340

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Zotero with PM 24.0.2 (x64) problem seeing MS Word 2010

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-07, 06:19

You have to realize that if you are using a specific architecture of application, communication between applications can only work properly at a binary level (i.e.: direct communication) if all applications involved have the same architecture. You can't call functions in a 32-bit DLL from a 64-bit EXE, for example.
Word will be 32-bit. So even if your browser and your plugin are 64-bit, the communication still won't work because the 32-bit application that you are trying to communicate with is running in a different environment (the 32-on-64 Windows-on-windows environment).

Firefox is 32-bit, the zotero plugin will run 32-bit in it, and it will as a result be able to communicate with 32-bit Word. Your solution is: Switch to Pale Moon x86 if communication with word is essential for your workflow. (I don't think Microsoft has a 64-bit version of Office available).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

terrytoe

Re: Zotero with PM 24.0.2 (x64) problem seeing MS Word 2010

Unread post by terrytoe » 2013-10-07, 12:05

OK. That makes sense. Having read about the potential for problems of this kind with a 64 bit browser this is the first time I've encountered an issue so I've at least learned something new today!

I was so excited about transferring my references and getting everything organised within the browser I hadn't even thought of the potential for problems communicating with Word. Thanks for the response. I'll get the x86 version of Pale Moon and go from there.

Also, it turns out that there is a 64 bit version of Word 2010, although as you've outlined, installing this would then lead to further similar communication problems with other 32 bit applications.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word- ... 69476.aspx

Many thanks for your help and all the work you've put into Pale Moon. :thumbup:

Terry