Sites with continuous content URLs.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
commander

Sites with continuous content URLs.

Unread post by commander » 2020-01-28, 05:18

Hi,

I occasionally come across sites that magically show more content when you get the bottom of one of their URLs. Some work great for a while but then seem to stall out and stop working and give a "I'm busy" mouse pointer.

I suspect that this is a javascript "feature" or some sort of dynamic URL generator "feature" at work. PM seems to react similarly to these URLS. I'm not sure if it's a PM bug or a server bug.

Any/all hints/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

George...

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Sites with continuous content URLs.

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-28, 05:48

commander wrote:
2020-01-28, 05:18
sites that magically show more content when you get the bottom of one of their URLs
And it will remain a mystery without any examples provided. You took the trouble to create an account to post - you couldn't mention the sites having such a problem? Such a common trait with new posters here - no mention of whatever site they're facing problems on.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-28, 13:58

As a general remark:
This "load on demand" is not a "JavaScript feature", it is a web design choice (although it will require JS to work). it depends greatly on how it was implemented and how it was tested by the webmasters how well this will work in any given browser. We've seen plenty of these setups that are simply broken, or cause excessive memory use due to the page design grinding things to a halt, or other issues like rendering problems when getting "deep" into such pages because it becomes too resource-intensive to render an ever-growing amount of data in a single page (pages are documents, not data streams).
There is usually very little we can do about this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

commander

Unread post by commander » 2020-01-29, 08:08

Moonchild,

Thank you for your response, it's just what I was looking for.

Best regards,

George...