Grocery Store Ads Stopped Displaying

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SG606

Grocery Store Ads Stopped Displaying

Unread post by SG606 » 2020-01-10, 00:25

About a month ago I lost the ability to view some of my grocery store ads. I don't think it was after the last update but I'm not certain. I installed Linux Mint 19.1 in a new machine last year and have kept Pale Moon updated through the repository. At Aldi I get nothing but a white page where the ad should display. Ingles displays normally in flyer view. At Publix when I click view weekly ad I also get a white screen but with a 1" wide vertical slice of the ad on the left. With Firefox Aldi and Ingles display normally but Publix is the same as Pale moon. Does anybody have any ideas why?

Pale moon also displays some website text improperly. Youtube comments have most of the bottom sentences sliced off across the bottom so the last sentence is hard to read just above where it says 'read more.' My Yahoo inbox mail in regular view is the same way.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/
https://www.ingles-markets.com/weekly-ads
https://weeklyad.publix.com/Publix/Brow ... geNumber=1

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Grocery Store Ads Stopped Displaying

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-01-10, 01:55

Does it happens in safe mode too?
If you don't know how to use safe mode, search the forum.
If it doesn't, please post troubleshooting informations. You can find out how to do it from the stickied threads.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2020-01-10, 13:45

I checked https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/ (I'm in Canada). On a regular user profile, I got a message...
Fusion92 Shopper Platform uses cookies to optimize your experience of the weekly ad. If you're experiencing issues with loading or viewing the ad in your browser please confirm that you've enabled cookies for this site in your browser or ad blocker.
I created a brand new test profile. I got a dialogue...
Select a Store
Enter a City, State, or Zip Code to see deals at a store near you.
...and it works (I selected Buffalo, New York). Looks like it doesn't like some setting you have.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-01-10, 17:52

Using Pale Moon v28.8.0(x64), under Win8.1, I don't see any issues at aldi.us, nor at publix.com.

However, the weekly ads at ingles-markets.com are blocked by EasyList, with the following rule:

Code: Select all

/newads/*
This whitelisting fixes it:

Code: Select all

@@/newads/*$image,domain=ingles-markets.com
If you want to report this problem to EasyList's issue tracker, you may do so here:
https://github.com/easylist/easylist/issues/

Are you using any other filters?

SG606

Unread post by SG606 » 2020-01-11, 01:24

I tried safe mode and nothing changed. I only have 4 extensions and disabled them all but nothing changed. Tried deleting cookies but nothing changed.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-01-11, 12:35

As a test, create a new clean Profile.
Make no changes.
Open your sites & see if they work.

At Aldi I get nothing but a white page where the ad should display.
Screenshot?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-01-11, 15:56

I've reported the EasyList issue here:
https://github.com/easylist/easylist/issues/4689/

SG606

Unread post by SG606 » 2020-01-12, 23:59

I created a new profile and by golly it worked! Problem ad sites display normally. Now to track down the problem in my main profile do I need to go through my about:config changes one at a time to see what messed it up? Thanks for the advice. I wasn't even aware a second profile could be created.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-01-13, 23:23

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2020-01-15, 05:59

With ABL disabled and cookies being accepted, I can't get https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/ to appear properly either. Using v28.8.1 32-bit on Win7.

I tried a different installation of PM and I get the same problem.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-01-15, 17:35

See if it works in a new profile.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-01-15, 19:26

Since this is still going...
If I turn off eMatrix from its popup, the site displays a bunch of menus where I can select fliers listing the various products and their prices.
Is this what you are expecting to see?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-01-15, 21:28

DoctorM wrote:
2020-01-15, 05:59
With ABL disabled and cookies being accepted, I can't get https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/ to appear properly either.
Did you accept all cookies or first-party only?
To display Aldi's weekly ad, I had to permit requests (scripts etc., and also cookies) from liquidus.net.

You might also doublecheck whether dom (local) storage is enabled, because the site requires that too.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2020-01-16, 05:48

Thanks. I checked my cookie manager (Cookie Masters) and it didn't show any request to set a 3rd party cookie.
So I went to liquidus.net DIRECTLY and set allow cookies.
Returned to https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/ and it worked perfectly.

For some reason liquidus cookies weren't being shown as being requested. Even after doing this fix and Aldi's site was working properly, my cookie manager STILL didn't show liqidus cookies were being used by Aldi.

I double checked by revoking liquidus's permissions and the site ads stopped working again.

Weird.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2020-08-06, 06:51

I've now found at least one other site where the same issue occurs.

It appears there can be 3rd party cookies that aren't listed in Cookie Masters as a Third Party Cookie that you can change permissions for. They're just completely invisible.
If by default you're blocking cookies, it breaks these sites.

In the case of Aldi, liquidus.net needs to set a cookie, but you wouldn't know it if someone didn't tell you and you didn't open a new tab, go to liquidus and accept cookies.

I don't know if other cookie managers have the same issue as this or not.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-06, 11:35

Accepting third-party cookies is necessary for many websites to function properly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2020-08-06, 22:07

I get that. It's just that occasionally 3rd party cookies are invisible to Cookie Masters, breaking the site unless you allow all 3rd party cookies... which pretty much defeats the purpose of a manager.

I'm trying to understand why some sites aren't listed as a Third Party Cookie attempting to be set.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-07, 06:44

Wouldn't that be a problem for Cookie Masters to solve? We can't do anything about extension code being buggy.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2020-08-07, 22:02

Maybe. I don't know which end the problem comes from.
Cookie Masters is a fork of Cookie Monster provided here on the Pale Moon site. Who is responsible for that to even ask?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-07, 22:24

DoctorM wrote:
2020-08-07, 22:02
Who is responsible for that to even ask?
That would be the individual who forked Cookie Masters from Cookie Monster: riiis.

You can raise the issue by posting on the Browser extensions board, he often responds.
(riiis does not provide any more direct form of contact).

Please be aware that this project/its developers do not have responsibility for the functioning of extensions hosted on APMO. Whether an extension works or not is solely the responsibility of the individual who developed or forked it and asked to have it hosted on the Add-ons Site.