Portable version does not remember last download folder

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mmx64

Portable version does not remember last download folder

Unread post by mmx64 » 2012-01-22, 08:50

I run the portable version and I was a bit annoyed by the fact that it always reset the last download folder to the default "internal" folder. I managed to fix it by replacing

Code: Select all

;(download directory)
browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"
with

;(download directory)
browser.download.lastDir=\\"
in the "Palemoon-Portable.ini" file.

You may want to add this to the portable download page among the other "ini-tips".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Portable version does not remember last download folder

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-22, 09:08

Thanks, but setting the download dir to a path in the Pale Moon Portable folder on start-up is by design. It is to prevent, when you actually use it on a stick, that a download dir is remembered between sessions that may be on different computers. Getting an invalid path will make Windows automatically select its "default path" which is usually somewhere in the "My Documents" folder on the hard drive of the PC the stick is used in - that is not desired behavior.

If you install it on your hard disk, then it would be better to simply remove the statement by placing a semicolon in front of it:

;(download directory)
    ;browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"
This way it will act like the desktop version and remember the last used one.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

NathanJ79

Unread post by NathanJ79 » 2012-02-18, 04:35

Moonchild wrote:If you install it on your hard disk, then it would be better to simply remove the statement by placing a semicolon in front of it:

;(download directory)
    ;browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"
This way it will act like the desktop version and remember the last used one.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

I installed Pale Moon Portable on a hard disk, but it was a portable hard disk. I only use it on one other computer, for the most part, but I use it with the PortableApps platform, so I like Pale Moon Portable to start in \Documents on the drive. I don't mean to tell you how to bundle your software as it's fine how it is, but perhaps copying the Firefox Portable release would be fairly easy. Then maybe you could get listed in their app directory (I'm not entirely sure how that works) and PortableApps users could get updates automatically (the platform searches for updates every time it starts as long as it hasn't done so in the last 24 hours, I believe).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-18, 08:10

I'm sorry, but the PortableApps way of supplying portable applications is one I decided against because it relies on a third-party framework.
This means that the browser would not be stand-alone and be tied in with "portableapps.com" that I am not affiliated with, and rely on their updates and development of their framework.

Pale Moon Portable should remain completely standalone.

In addition, the current way of working is much easier to maintain, and I don't see a reason to do double work packaging Pale Moon for the "Apps" platform specifically.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite