28.8.0 (build error --with-system-libevent)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
biopsin
Fanatic
Fanatic

28.8.0 (build error --with-system-libevent)

Unread post by biopsin » 2019-12-17, 10:56

Heya,
just what to report Pale Moon 28.8.0 fail if --with-system-libevent is set.
before line 148 a missing elif in ../ipc/chromium/moz.build

Code: Select all

elif not CONFIG['MOZ_SYSTEM_LIBEVENT']:
    LOCAL_INCLUDES += ['src/third_party/libevent/linux']
and also a missing indent (space) @ the line 142 infront SOURCES +=

Code: Select all

if os_solaris:
    SOURCES += [
Thank you again for all the hard work you have put into this !!
A token of my appreciation is on it's way :thumbup:
voidlinux_x64 glibc-2.38 / Palemoon_latest release (gcc-13.2.0) / GTK2

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: 28.8.0 (build error --with-system-libevent)

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-12-17, 18:45

Well, building with system libraries is not supported, so you shouldn't really do that.
Of course it's not wrong to report this bug, just know that if you are going to use a build compiled with system libraries, you will not receive any support in case of issues.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-12-17, 23:31

Well, this is embarrassing. I didn't notice that missing fourth space because it still builds fine and includes the sources for me even without it. It's uneven and looks wrong, though. All the humans finding my typos months after the fact is a little awkward. I must look like the sloppiest programmer alive. Oh, well...

As for that LOCAL_INCLUDES thing, that oversight is because I never bothered testing it with system libraries since it was my understanding that we would never need to use those. I definitely need to add that fourth space, but I'm not sure whether I need to fix building with system libraries or not.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-17, 23:36

Fix the indent error. As for the systemlib bit, put that in the category of if you care enough to then do it if not, then don't.

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2019-12-19, 18:20

Thanks biopsin!
I came here to find out what version of libevent was bundled because I couldn't build unbundled and came across this thread.

For anyone else using portage (Gentoo, Funtoo, Void...) here's the patch for your ebuild:
--- a/ipc/chromium/moz.build 2019-12-19 10:55:37.981447770 -0600
+++ b/ipc/chromium/moz.build 2019-12-19 10:58:33.281447322 -0600
@@ -143,9 +143,9 @@
'src/base/atomicops_internals_x86_gcc.cc',
'src/base/process_util_linux.cc',
'src/base/time_posix.cc',
-]
-
-LOCAL_INCLUDES += ['src/third_party/libevent/linux']
+ ]
+elif not CONFIG['MOZ_SYSTEM_LIBEVENT']:
+ LOCAL_INCLUDES += ['src/third_party/libevent/linux']

ost = CONFIG['OS_TEST']
if '86' not in ost and 'arm' not in ost and 'aarch64' != ost and 'mips' not in ost:
Not sure if "elif" is correct vs "if", but since I'm not running solaris, it doesn't matter to me.