Unstable version installed seperately

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unstable version installed seperately

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-12-14, 09:10

I'd like to 'play' with the unstable version - and yes, I realise that using Portable is the obvious way - but install it. Is this possible in a way that doesn't pick up the Profile for the stable version already installed? Also, I don't want the stable version's Profile 'contaminated', of course.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Unstable version installed seperately

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-14, 09:25

Start the unstable with a batch file that has the path to a designated profile indicated.

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -profile [full path to profile]
e.g.
Create a folder "PM-Unstable-Profile" in your Documents folder in explorer, then start Pale moon with:

palemoon.exe -profile C:\Users\Giraffe\Documents\PM-Unstable-Profile
(change the path according to your Windows user name of course)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-14, 14:22

Or dump the unstable into the portable stub if on Windows.

That will let you test everything and be isolated save system integration via shellservice.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-14, 15:31

... Giraffe already said the portable was not desired.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-12-14, 16:58

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-14, 09:25
Start the unstable with a batch file that has the path to a designated profile indicated.

palemoon.exe -profile [full path to profile]
e.g.
Create a folder "PM-Unstable-Profile" in your Documents folder in explorer, then start Pale moon with:

palemoon.exe -profile C:\Users\Giraffe\Documents\PM-Unstable-Profile
(change the path according to your Windows user name of course)
OK, thank you. Could it go into C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\, same as most other apps? I'm used to finding things there.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-14, 20:04

You can put it wherever you want; I was just giving an example :)

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-12-25, 15:14

Update on this (not doing much today :D ):

PMS is Pale Moon Stable, default browser.
PMU is the installed Unstable version.

If PMU is running and PMS is started, then PMS looks like - and has the icon of - PMU. It also affects the 'Profile' of PMU.
PMU's 'Profile' is in C:\Users\Giraffe\AppData\Roaming\PaleMoon-Unstable-Profile\ but just in a folder labelled "Profile" - not the typical label for a profile.

If PMS is running and PMU is started, PMU looks like PMS and affects PMS' Profile by updating it to the time of starting.
PMS' Profile is in C:\Users\Giraffe\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\m3ncnzaw.default\.

PMU was installed using a batch file, as instructed:
D:\WebDownloads\palemoon-unstable-latest.win32.installer.exe -profile C:\Users\Giraffe\AppData\Roaming\PaleMoon-Unstable-Profile\

PMU's shortcut has:
"D:\Program Files\Pale Moon Unstable\palemoon.exe" -profile C:\Users\Giraffe\AppData\Roaming\PaleMoon-Unstable-Profile

I don't know if this is the cause of the 'crosstalk', but it's not what I intended to do! Obviously I've made at least one mistake somewhere.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-12-25, 20:23

Giraffe wrote:
2019-12-25, 15:14
If PMU is running and PMS is started, then PMS looks like - and has the icon of - PMU. It also affects the 'Profile' of PMU.
Likely one or the other version needs to be run with the -no-remote switch if they are run concurrently (same as if you were running two profiles of the same installation of Pale Moon concurrently).

AFAIK it's advised to not use -no-remote with a default profile. So try adding it to the PMU shortcut so it becomes this:

"D:\Program Files\Pale Moon Unstable\palemoon.exe" -no-remote -profile "C:\Users\Giraffe\AppData\Roaming\PaleMoon-Unstable-Profile"

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-12-26, 09:12

Thank you coffeebreak - that's got rid of both problems in one go.
Now I can start fettling PMU. I still don't why it has just a 'Profile' folder and not Profile/crypticname similar to PMS. It might be because I created the Profile folder before installing it and should have had just PaleMoon-Unstable.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-12-26, 10:34

Because that's how it works when you provide a "--profile" argument.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-01-17, 23:14

Not directly related, but probably best to ask without a new topic.

Is it preferable (for you) testing the unstable on a clean profile, or after upgrading a current profile?

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2020-01-18, 10:29

If this question is aimed at me, I wanted to start with a clean Profile then add mostly aids to ease of use - nothing that interferes with the browser's core functions.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-01-19, 10:12

Thanks, question was aimed at Moonchild but I guess both clean/non-clean profile testing can be useful.