Certain websites, such as Investigation Discovery, always have choppy video Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Certain websites, such as Investigation Discovery, always have choppy video

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-12-04, 20:27

Whether full screen or not, watching video for Investigation Discovery programmes always seems to result in choppy video now. The audio always plays fine, but the video itself freezes on a frame (not freezing the browser, but it just gets stuck) after a few seconds, ten seconds, or thirty seconds. And the problem doesn't go away even if the video returns to normal afterwards, because not long after returning to normal, it goes back to being stuck on a frame again.

It makes it very difficult to watch these programmes. It wasn't like this a year or two ago. This problem only seems to have come about a year ago.

Attached is a copy of the error log.
Attachments
error log.png
Last edited by Tharthan on 2019-12-04, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Certain websites, such as Investigation Discovery, always have choppy video

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-04, 20:49

Try using a computer that isn't 10 years old, then we will talk again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-04, 22:27

Just tested it through my VPN since it's region locked otherwise; definitely not a problem with the browser. Played S1E1 of "Charlotte" without any hiccups.
It's delivered through MSE-DASH as you'd expect for this kind of TV streaming; adaptive bitrate not a problem even with my terrible latency having to hop through California. Soooo... it's very likely either your PC (if it's a decade old then yeah...) or network congestion your end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2019-12-04, 23:06

1) update your video card drivers, if available

2) update your video card to a current model

3) the real answer though has been rehashed hundreds of times already, so I won't beat that dead horse here

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-05, 00:00

He has an old ass all-in-one it isn't something he can upgrade.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-12-05, 02:29

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-04, 22:27
It's delivered through MSE-DASH as you'd expect for this kind of TV streaming; adaptive bitrate not a problem even with my terrible latency having to hop through California. Soooo... it's very likely either your PC (if it's a decade old then yeah...) or network congestion your end.
I see. Thanks for checking that out.

I guess that I'll probably need to buy a laptop with some form of GNU/Linux already on it, and then overwrite that with my preferred distribution and use that for Internet access (and, thus, streaming). For a bit now, I have figured that I would have to do that eventually anyway, like it or not, and I've said so previously (if not here, then elsewhere). I didn't want to have to do that, but no use complaining about it at this point.

What confuses me about this, though, is that I don't have this problem with video play on some other websites, the most obvious example being YouTube. Is the way that this particular website handles video different in some way from other common websites?
Trapper852 wrote:
2019-12-04, 23:06
1) update your video card drivers, if available

2) update your video card to a current model
My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, for what that's worth.

I'm not sure why that would matter so much in this instance since it worked with this just a year ago, but perhaps the card is just dying. I don't know. I'm not a techie-type. I don't even know what the life span for a graphics card is.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-12-05, 03:17

If you upgrade the video on a pre-PCI-E 3.0 PC, whatever you do, definitely don't try to use a Radeon RX series! I dunno about the GeForce GTX 16xx and GeForce RTX.
But, a GeForce GTX 970 should do the trick.

I also dunno about the GT 1030, because they possibly only support PCI-E 3!

A GeForce GTX 960 would do the job. For AMD, a pre-RX should be fine, but you may be required to go pre-R9 as well. ->If you at least get a used desktop, if you at least get rid of that AIO!

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-12-05, 05:08

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-12-05, 03:17
because they possibly only support PCI-E 3!
Off-topic:
This is completely wrong and has nothing to do with PCI-E (99% of the time), you can even run these on PCI-E 2 or lower on some motherboards, the main issue would be that newer graphic cards don't come with BIOS loadables and only be able to load using UEFI (without or with compatibility mode), last BIOS supported cards are Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (anything forward is not guaranteed and probably will result in black screen), AMD (RX 2XX and forward (Vega?)) depending of the card

In any case ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 is slower that any last 9 years of Intel integrated graphics and provides support of Directx 10.1, OpenGL 2.0 and acceleration of full bitstream decoding of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, as well as iDCT level acceleration of MPEG2 video streams. (this integrated gpu was adequate for it's time period of 2009 as intel graphics were still integrated to the motherboard at this time and weren't more performant)
If the video couldn't get accelerated due to resolution or other factors then it may get choppy due to insufficient CPU power.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-12-05, 12:45

Lurker_01 wrote:
2019-12-05, 05:08
last BIOS supported cards are Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (anything forward is not guaranteed and probably will result in black screen), AMD (RX 2XX and forward (Vega?)) depending of the card

Off-topic:
I have a socket 1366 motherboard and I'm good at least up to GeForce GTX 970, if not the 980 as well.
The XFX Radeon RX 580, causes the CMOS to get screwed up, makes it act like I have a bad CR2032 battery or a bad CR2032 battery connection! Causes the strange bug, where the BIOS, after the PSU was unplugged, to prompt you to re-enter the date, time and reload the defaults. Also all settings are lost! Is this a bug related to BIOS ROM shadowing?

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-12-05, 15:54

Lurker_01 wrote:
If the video couldn't get accelerated due to resolution or other factors then it may get choppy due to insufficient CPU power.
So this issue could be indicative of my computer is starting to go? If so, that's vital information. This is the only computer that I have, so if it is liable to suddenly go kaput, that is something that I need to be aware of.
Lurker_01 wrote:
Off-topic:
the main issue would be that newer graphic cards don't come with BIOS loadables and only be able to load using UEFI (without or with compatibility mode), last BIOS supported cards are Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (anything forward is not guaranteed and probably will result in black screen), AMD (RX 2XX and forward (Vega?)) depending of the card
Off-topic:
BIOS support is definitely important here, as that's what my PC uses.
Lurker_01 wrote:
Off-topic:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 is slower that any last 9 years of Intel integrated graphics and provides support of Directx 10.1, OpenGL 2.0 and acceleration of full bitstream decoding of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, as well as iDCT level acceleration of MPEG2 video streams.
Off-topic:
So if I were to change my graphics card, I might experience incompatibility with other things afterwards?

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2019-12-05, 19:12

Plays quite well (5-15% cpu) on my 8 years laptop, i5-2520m (2c@4t 2.5 Ghz, hd3000 intel int. video, the same class video card as yours @ dx 10.1) with win 7 sp1.
I guess u use windows 10 which isn't ur old hardware friend. Try win 7 instead ;)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-12-05, 19:13

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-12-05, 12:45
Off-topic:
The XFX Radeon RX 580, causes the CMOS to get screwed up, makes it act like I have a bad CR2032 battery
Off-topic:
Sorry i cant answer that as i don't have experience of that kind of thing, i know that one of my old LGA775 motherboard just started to never register the battery, i even changed it, so as long i wouldn't unplug it or had the power go down, it would remember things.
Tharthan wrote:
2019-12-05, 15:54
So this issue could be indicative of my computer is starting to go? If so, that's vital information. This is the only computer that I have, so if it is liable to suddenly go kaput, that is something that I need to be aware of.
No, what i just said that for example you wouldn't be able to accelerate H.265(HEVC) or H.264 4K video and in this case the video would get processed by the CPU and assuming this is an old machine with an old processor it probably doesn't have enough CPU power to do that and this will result in dropped frames. (not saying this is exactly what happens on this website)
Pale Moon already struggles with old Intel integrated graphics that are newer that your current one due to driver bugs and not supported features.
Tharthan wrote:
2019-12-05, 15:54
Off-topic:
So if I were to change my graphics card, I might experience incompatibility with other things afterwards?
Off-topic:
No, all newer graphic cards have more support for newer formats and still support the old ones, is just that if you buy the latest most expensive thing it will almost certain not work with the old hardware.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-12-06, 01:07

Off-topic:
I've been a gamer for years, and the first sign that my video card is about to croak is corruption of the display with horizontal lines, or crashing on loading certain games. Last time it happened I replaced my ASUS Nvidia 560 Ti with a Zotac 1050 Ti. The older card had lasted a good 6 years of regular gaming everyday, maybe if you only use video it lasts longer since those are less resource intensive.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-12-08, 16:08

Al6bus wrote:
2019-12-05, 19:12
I guess u use windows 10 which isn't ur old hardware friend. Try win 7 instead ;)
Off-topic:
Huh?

I use Windows 7. I've never had Windows 10, and never will.