Do you guys want regular(ish) unstable builds?

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69

Poll ended at 2019-12-07, 13:42

Yes
48%
No
52%
Your software sucks and I hate your face
No votes

Total votes: 21

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-01, 13:42

So.. Do you?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Do you guys want regular(ish) unstable builds?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-12-01, 14:15

I voted yes, because it would be interesting to see upcoming features. However, if it turned out to be a lot of work for very little return on your part, then I'd be fine with not having it.

It just seems to me that we already have unstable branding and a version number system that lends itself well to unstable builds, so it's more like I don't see any reason not to do it, except maybe disk space if you wanted to archive several unstable builds. But I really think you would only need to have one unstable build up at a time, since the purpose is testing and you're only ever testing fairly recent code.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andy80
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by andy80 » 2019-12-02, 01:44

I voted yes, but I would have chosen "Whenever it is worth to have one" since I don't like half-baked releases just because the schedule says it is time to have one.
The only unstable project I use is Interlink and I think it makes sense to try/test new features in a build whenever it is worth to have one, i.e., when the features are considered stable enough to be tested.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-02, 07:34

I voted X because Y*

* Brought to you by the department of redundancy department
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2019-12-03, 15:28

Would rather wait until there is actually one new thing that's ready for proper testing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-07, 17:31

Welp, that was inconclusive. Thanks for voting!