Do you guys want regular(ish) unstable builds?

Board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.

Moderator: New Tobin Paradigm

Poll ended at 2019-12-07, 13:42

Yes
48%
No
52%
Your software sucks and I hate your face
No votes

Total votes: 21

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-01, 13:42

So.. Do you?
How far are you prepared to go? How much are you prepared to risk? How many people are you prepared to sacrifice for victory?
Are you willing to die friendless, alone, deserted by everyone? Because that's what may be required of you in the war that is to come.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Do you guys want regular(ish) unstable builds?

Post by athenian200 » 2019-12-01, 14:15

I voted yes, because it would be interesting to see upcoming features. However, if it turned out to be a lot of work for very little return on your part, then I'd be fine with not having it.

It just seems to me that we already have unstable branding and a version number system that lends itself well to unstable builds, so it's more like I don't see any reason not to do it, except maybe disk space if you wanted to archive several unstable builds. But I really think you would only need to have one unstable build up at a time, since the purpose is testing and you're only ever testing fairly recent code.
"The rising sun will eventually set / A newborn's life will fade. / From sun to moon, moon to sun... / Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

andy80
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Post by andy80 » 2019-12-02, 01:44

I voted yes, but I would have chosen "Whenever it is worth to have one" since I don't like half-baked releases just because the schedule says it is time to have one.
The only unstable project I use is Interlink and I think it makes sense to try/test new features in a build whenever it is worth to have one, i.e., when the features are considered stable enough to be tested.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2019-12-02, 07:34

I voted X because Y*

* Brought to you by the department of redundancy department
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss

Bilbo47
Moon lover
Moon lover

Post by Bilbo47 » 2019-12-03, 15:28

Would rather wait until there is actually one new thing that's ready for proper testing.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-07, 17:31

Welp, that was inconclusive. Thanks for voting!
How far are you prepared to go? How much are you prepared to risk? How many people are you prepared to sacrifice for victory?
Are you willing to die friendless, alone, deserted by everyone? Because that's what may be required of you in the war that is to come.