Anyone else getting this? Is it DRM?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Anyone else getting this? Is it DRM?

Unread post by cartel » 2019-11-19, 23:07

Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9e4mQ3xots

W7 x64
ImageImage

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Anyone else getting this? Is it DRM?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-11-19, 23:15

I got a message saying the content was rated TV-14 and that logging in was necessary. Can't test any further as I don't have any Google account.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-19, 23:26

The video is geographically restricted as well. Not available for me.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-19, 23:28

Geographically blocked for me as well though I'm using a VPN. I found another video of this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UZNr6AsU4

.. but it is out of sync by about a second and has spanish (I think?) subtitles. If you downloaded it and you use VLC, you can adjust the sync in VLC to line it up properly. Just proposing an alternative.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-11-19, 23:44

The first message mentioned by the OP, means most likely a problem with the browser codec settings. IIRC, usually because H.264 isn't enabled.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-11-20, 00:00

I think its DRM, which can go to hell.
Not a big deal
ImageImage

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-11-20, 00:53

I've never heard of Youtube having any DRM content, so that would be a new one to me.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-20, 06:11

cartel wrote:
2019-11-20, 00:00
I think its DRM
Yes, it's DRM.
In Firefox with DRM off, YouTube throws up an infobar that says it has to be enabled for that video.

ron_1 wrote:
2019-11-20, 00:53
I've never heard of Youtube having any DRM content, so that would be a new one to me.
It's required for "free to play" videos in the "YouTube Movies" channel. (see here and following posts)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-20, 07:25

Makes sense that they would start using Widevine for their movie rentals.. Given MSE's audio and video splitting isn't any kind of barrier against downloads to the point of it being one touch now especially with the right extension or web service. That and Google spent a lot of money not only buying Widevine but also to push EME and crush Adobe Primetime so they could monopolize it on every level.

Browser (Google Chrome), Standard (pushed by Google), service (YouTube is owned by Google), technology (Widevine is owned by Google), you.. You are also owned by Google or will be shortly.

Still, I blame the users of all or any of those plus all the intellectual property thieves who were in those Youtube downloader threads. You ALL did this and are ALL responsible. Even my self. I also share in the responsibility.

The real question is.. What are ANY of us gonna do about it? Hmm?

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-11-20, 09:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-11-20, 07:25
The real question is.. What are ANY of us gonna do about it? Hmm?
No Google account and no Chrome or any of its forks here (not even for testing).

I know that my stance is unacceptable for the overwhelming majority but then they get what they are asking for...

Most people are complaining about Google's dictatorship but in the meantime are strengthening it by using their products.
Aren't we human a strange species? :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-20, 10:00

gepus wrote:
2019-11-20, 09:54
Most people are complaining about Google's dictatorship but in the meantime are strengthening it by using their products.
Indeed you all are and before you ask, yes, but only because of a minor technicality.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-20, 10:54

gepus wrote:
Complaining about something is easy and takes no real effort. Making a change however requires people to actually do something and put in effort, which isn't a "fire and forget" action. Humans love one-shot solutions to anything. Complaining is that, making a change is not.

And there you have it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-20, 12:29

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-20, 10:54
Complaining about something is easy and takes no real effort. Making a change however requires people to actually do something and put in effort, which isn't a "fire and forget" action. Humans love one-shot solutions to anything. Complaining is that, making a change is not.
In this case however, mass change is what is needed, and that seems unlikely. The small bunch of privacy conscious power users may stop using Google but the rest remain willfully unaware of the problem, or in a few cases, outright say they don't care if Google or other companies track them online. So a tiny fraction of people moving away won't really make a difference to them.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-20, 14:18

And thus the complaining will continue but nothing will happen, because of what I already said :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-11-20, 14:56

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-20, 12:29
The small bunch of privacy conscious power users may stop using Google but the rest remain willfully unaware of the problem
No, the problem is that even privacy conscious users also will not leave Google. They will also give the same excuse that you are giving. People are reasonable and find a way to justify their choices instead of making a change which is better for everyone (and not selfish).

Sorry Moonchild, I mostly repeated you but with different words. Had to say it!

gepus wrote:
No Google account and no Chrome or any of its forks here (not even for testing).
Same here bro!
My life is totally Google free, have been for last few years since I grew up. Yes, that means a few difficulties here and there, but I am content and enjoy my freedom.

johnb
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by johnb » 2019-11-21, 06:30

Plays just fine with IE11.
Does not play with PM or Basilisk-- even with HTML5 addon.
What's up with that? Thx.

PS. got goog acct with protonmail & vpn. fyi

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-21, 06:42

johnb wrote:
2019-11-21, 06:30
What's up with that?
The video requires DRM. See earlier post.

(A bunch of off-topic posts come after that one, making it easy to overlook. But then, that's why it matters to read entire threads rather than just the last bit.)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-11-21, 13:42

johnb wrote:
2019-11-21, 06:30
Plays just fine with IE11.
Does not play with PM or Basilisk-- even with HTML5 addon.
What's up with that? Thx.
I believe I heard somewhere (could be wrong) that IE11 uses PlayReady DRM instead of Widevine on many sites. It's possible that IE is still popular enough on older Windows installations for Google to support PlayReady DRM, especially since IE is on the way out. What I do know is that, whether they just don't require DRM or use Microsoft's, several sites that otherwise require Widevine will work in IE without it. I've been taking advantage of that and using IE to avoid Widevine in a last-ditch effort that won't be possible for a lot longer. After that stops working, I'll just have to avoid DRM entirely like everyone else who is actually bothered by things like this.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-11-21, 15:59

athenian200 wrote:
2019-11-21, 13:42
I heard somewhere (could be wrong) that IE11 uses PlayReady DRM instead of Widevine on many sites. It's possible that IE is still popular enough on older Windows installations for Google to support PlayReady DRM, especially since IE is on the way out. What I do know is that, whether they just don't require DRM or use Microsoft's, several sites that otherwise require Widevine will work in IE without it.
Ah. Is it possible to turn DRM on/off in IE11?
If so, someone who has it installed (I don't) could check, at least partially, by trying the video with DRM off.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-11-21, 18:22

I just hope it don't spread to UGC, as the DRM considered a weapon to ban PaleMoon. :thumbdown:
Off-topic:
Of course, if it was from "big-TV-content", I would have expected DRM, as if it were Netflix.....