Pale Moon will not play some videos

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Pale Moon will not play some videos

Unread post by infti » 2019-11-15, 15:44

Pale Moon will not play some videos. The video I cannot play requires a log in.It is on Vimeo, which otherwise seems to work with Pale Moon. The url is

https://ocean.chronicleproject.com/less ... ee-oct-29/

This plays on Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.

Can somebody provide help with this?

Thanks.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon will not play some videos

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-15, 17:19

The Ocean login wants 50 USD. Can you give a link to the vimeo video(s)?

infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by infti » 2019-11-15, 19:03

I suspect that the reason it won't play on Pale Moon is that Pale Moon is unable to deal with this kind of video -- namely one that requires a log in.

However, as I said, the other browsers, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox, don't have this issue.

Maybe this is something that can be fixed on a future release of Pale Moon.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-15, 19:15

Usually Vimeo videos play fine for me, logged in or not...

Update: Haven't been on vimeo for some time and just checked some random videos. Some played well, others didn't, loaded endlessly, played sound sometimes, but with black screen, no matter which compat. mode or media settings I used. (Same with older Basilisk)

infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by infti » 2019-11-15, 20:42

This is not a random video. It is a specific kind of video, namely one that is part of a proprietary site and requires a log in to that site.

That said, it would be desirable for Pale Moon to be able to play ALL Vimeos.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-11-16, 17:34

infti wrote:
2019-11-15, 20:42
That said, it would be desirable for Pale Moon to be able to play ALL Vimeos.
How about posting errors if available when you click the video - check developer tool parts "web console" and "error console" - and if there are errors, post them inside here, so somebody with knowledge can perhaps take a look.

Without more information nothing can be done for sure.

Also, i have seen that videos require to be able to be played back "MSE settings" in the Pale Moon options - section content. Without this enabled, many videos do not play in general, tried with several on the Vimeo page.

infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by infti » 2019-11-16, 22:37

Sajadi wrote:

"How about posting errors if available when you click the video - check developer tool parts "web console" and "error console" - and if there are errors, post them inside here, so somebody with knowledge can perhaps take a look.

Without more information nothing can be done for sure.

Also, i have seen that videos require to be able to be played back "MSE settings" in the Pale Moon options - section content. Without this enabled, many videos do not play in general, tried with several on the Vimeo page."

My response: I don't know what posting errors, developer tool parts "web console" and "error console" mean. I don't know what "MSE settings" in the Pale Moon options are and I don't have (or at least, can't find) Pale Moon options

If developers of Pale Moon want to look into the problem, they can use the example I have provided or similar examples, or otherwise explore the issue. In this instance, I can use IE or another browser for this, and that is what I will continue to do for the time being.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-11-17, 00:05

infti wrote:
2019-11-16, 22:37
I don't know what posting errors, developer tool parts "web console" and "error console" mean. I don't know what "MSE settings" in the Pale Moon options are and I don't have (or at least, can't find) Pale Moon options
In this case nobody can help you if you are not posting more information.

MSE settings you find in the Pale Moon options-menu as said under the sub-menu content. Ensure that all checkboxes are activated.

The devtool features "web console" and "error console" you find under Menu point web-developer. Open each of them, load the video, check for errors, copy-paste them into here.

If you do this, perhaps someone can help you, otherwise not likely. 2 Simple tasks even people with less experience are managing to do :wave:

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-11-17, 22:47

infti wrote:
2019-11-16, 22:37
I don't know what posting errors, developer tool parts "web console" and "error console" mean. I don't know what "MSE settings" in the Pale Moon options are and I don't have (or at least, can't find) Pale Moon options
If you click on the Pale Moon main button (in the top left corner of your browser) you will see a menu where you can find both Preferences (Options) and Web Developer tools.

As Sajadi has kindly pointed out, you should open the Content tab in the Preferences window to check your MSE settings. To take advantage of the Web Console and Error Console, enable them in the submenu of the Web Developer tools.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-18, 21:48

In the meantime I tested some more videos on Vimeo, with different MSE settings and also with FF52 with Hardware Acceleration enabled/disabled, all cookies unblocked and accepted, and 8 of 10 videos did not play.
Vimeo says it supports FF44+ and recommends switching to newer big browsers, but on a quick DDG websearch I could easily find many playback problems with the big browsers, too. It's often the same stuck-on-first-frame problem. Videos load (visible in the load bar or in the eternal ring), but then don't play. I guess it's rather Vimeos problem to fix that.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-11-19, 01:51

loxodont wrote:
2019-11-18, 21:48
In the meantime I tested some more videos on Vimeo, with different MSE settings and also with FF52 with Hardware Acceleration enabled/disabled, all cookies unblocked and accepted, and 8 of 10 videos did not play.
I have just watched a dozen videos on Vimeo without any problem. Can you give the links to the videos that didn’t play?

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-19, 14:42

I only bookmarked a few which do not work for me in PM (...and FF52) but it seems to be everything now under staff picks.
I guess it doesn't make much sense to check them all, if a dozen videos play fine for you, but anyway:
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/370491571
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/371469703
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/368867301
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/368204376
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/372646942
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/373035834
https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/369696354
The last one started to play sound, but without the video(=black).

As I said I tried different MSE settings, HW Accel. off, uBo disabled, all cookies allowed...
If I wait some minutes I sometimes get these vimeo error overlays:
"Player error - The player is having trouble. We’ll have it back up and running as soon as possible."

"Error - Unhandled video privacy"

In PM webconsole some of these:
XML Parsing Error: no root element found
Line Number 1, Column 1:
Even when I close vimeo, the Status Bar shows a load hang to that server.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-19, 15:23

All those videos work just fine for me. ABL is enabled, otherwise default settings of the browser.

Tried with a brand new portable, all at default: everything still plays.

Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be a problem in the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-11-19, 16:28

@ loxodont

All of the videos you listed as links play for me as well.

And I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.7.2 with the default settings running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Xfce. The only extensions I'm using are NoSquint and uBlock Origin and both are enabled.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-11-19, 16:39

Hello, loxodont!

Last time I checked videos from different sections: staff picks, music, mature content, etc. As I have said, no problem. The same situation is with the videos from your links, I tried all of them and they all played fine.

I do not have special general.useragent.override for Vimeo.
User Agent Mode is set to Firefox Compatibility.
Hardware acceleration is ticked off (active when available).

MSE settings
Cookies

uBo is activated with the following settings for Vimeo

Pale Moon 28.7.2 x64 / Windows 8.1

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-19, 17:07

thx @ Konrad for posting your settings & all others

hm, the strange thing is it happens in all 3 browsers, maybe some other settings are borked by provider change, new router, firewall rules...
I'll have another look on the settings and portable apps

thx so far

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2019-11-19, 23:59

All the those videos are working for me too; zero issues with ubo and eMatrix enabled.
Perhaps should look at your system video hardware specs and drivers; is it an old system? if not then check your drivers up to date, the only thing I can think of atm might be causing the issue since you say is global for all your browsers.
Oh and check your antivirus if you use one in case its blocking it.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-20, 16:24

Yes, it's an old system... with even downgraded nvidia 9800 drivers (because latest were pumped with bloat and no improvements for my card) Everything else worked fine with that, on vimeo too.
I did disable AV and Firewall, soft reset the router, checked settings... no luck. Surprisingly all vimeo stuff played fine when I installed portableapps FF 70.0?.1 and also on my old xubuntu 16.x notebook (with Pale Moon 28.7.2-32, even in 1080p, but a bit laggy)
However FF 70 is not my thing. I guess it's something in my Win7 network config changed by the new router that came with bloat and provider auto-configuration.

Sorry for pirating this thread :) *goes troubleshooting again*

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-11-21, 18:33

A couple of videos, played OK there. Additionally, I rarely have trouble at Vimeo, their system doesn't give me major issues with jumping to different sections of videos like YouTube does. They seem to often be faster than YouTube, likely because Vimeo is based in New York.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-22, 00:35

I still don't know what it is. Some videos play very well without any problems in Pale Moon (32 bit), but most of those I randomly clicked under vimeo "Staff Picks", "Recent" load eternally and don't start. Perhaps my connection speed is too slow for those supposably heavy traffic videos. I tested a lot of options now, like Safe Mode, new profile, recommended config tweaks, turning AV and firewall completely off and more... and I don't spent more time on that. On websearch I found many results about these vimeo playback problems, with every browser, so it's like that.

However, thx for help & advice posts