Pale Moon web browser will not execute / open

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Cerulean Blue

Pale Moon web browser will not execute / open

Unread post by Cerulean Blue » 2019-11-16, 15:15

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: Pale Moon web browser 28.7.2
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: I do not believe this to be a URL issue
Theme: web browser will not open
Installed extensions: default
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) default

Hello Pale Moon community! I am not a computer tech-savvy person, so forgive me if this question has been asked elsewhere already (If so, please direct me to the forum webpage where this has already been discussed)

Approximately 6 hours ago from this posting, my Windows 10 system did one of its infamous "unexpected" system re-boot updates.
After the update, I attempted to open the Pale Moon web browser as I normally would. The browser began to load normally, but then it froze and then crashed. Since then I have been unable to open the browser from any link or menu in the computer. I have tried a recommendation I read elsewhere on the internet that suggested that the OS might think that the browser is already "open/on", and that to close the browser I should check the Processes section of Windows Task Manager. There are/were a few Pale moon icons open under the background processes section of Windows 10. I was able to close all of them except one. Lastly, I have re-booted the computer a few times to see if that would help, but to no avail.

Thank you for your time, patience, and understanding.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon web browser will not execute / open

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-16, 16:33

Please try to reinstall the browser. Quite possible the Windows 10 update messed up your installation (it's been known to do weird things like completely uninstalling software, etc.)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Cerulean Blue

Unread post by Cerulean Blue » 2019-11-16, 17:17

I have re-installed the browser twice now, and have re-booted the p.c. both times as well. The browser is still unable to open.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-11-16, 18:23

I'll guess that the uninstall process has ignored your profile folder(s), and that your profile is toast.
So search and destroy.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-11-16, 18:59

I suggest to download and test if the portable builds do work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-16, 20:40

Sajadi wrote:
2019-11-16, 18:59
I suggest to download and test if the portable builds do work.
Shouldn't be necessary since it did work before...? I sincerely doubt Windows 10 suddenly became completely incompatible :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-11-16, 21:40

Cerulean Blue wrote:
2019-11-16, 17:17
I have re-installed the browser twice now, and have re-booted the p.c. both times as well. The browser is still unable to open.
Shot in the dark here.have you tried removing the palemoon cache and config as well as browser and then done a reinstall?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-16, 22:19

Just want to point out that he did say he was not a techie and probably would have no idea how to manually delete PM profiles or his cache/configuration files. More detailed instructions may help him more. I don't use Windows 10 and never will, so I can't help with that one.
Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-16, 20:40
Shouldn't be necessary since it did work before...? I sincerely doubt Windows 10 suddenly became completely incompatible :P
Windows 10 has problems remaining compatible with other Microsoft software at times. You're giving it too much credit, I fear. :D It does seem to break stuff quite often. Hopefully, that's not the case here.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-11-16, 22:39

Sessh wrote:
2019-11-16, 22:19
Just want to point out that he did say he was not a techie and probably would have no idea how to manually delete PM profiles or his cache/configuration files.
I'm more than happy to answer any follow up q.
History has taught me that giving step by step noob responses to q's is more likely to get me flamed for being patronizing. So I don't do it.
And search engines exist.
Sessh wrote:
2019-11-16, 22:19
Windows 10 has problems remaining compatible with other Microsoft software at times. You're giving it too much credit, I fear. :D It does seem to break stuff quite often. Hopefully, that's not the case here.
LOL

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-11-16, 22:49

Using security software? Try disabling it.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-11-17, 01:05

Check the "Properties" of the bookmark that you are using to open Pale Moon.

I had a similar problem and found that the bookmark no longer pointed to the EXE.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-17, 01:53

WilliamK wrote:
2019-11-17, 01:05
I had a similar problem and found that the bookmark no longer pointed to the EXE.
If that was the case it would report a missing EXE and not start at all as opposed to freezing on startup.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-11-17, 02:13

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-17, 01:53
If that was the case it would report a missing EXE and not start at all as opposed to freezing on startup.
No. The EXE wasn't missing. Somehow the bookmark was changed, possible by gnomes in the cupboard.