Totally New to Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
g00seIII

Totally New to Pale Moon

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-09, 18:45

I'm totally new to Pale Moon, but am attempting to use it, but, am having problems.
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here, I read them, and did look for information, this forum seemed like the best source.
I'm using Pale Moon on Linux Mint 18.3; everything has gone fine until I got to importing bookmarks, and my file was too big, so had to just copy and paste
my most important folders, no big problem.
Secondly, I'm used to using LastPass, which I think I've read on here, is not that secure, but I'm at a loss at installing another password program, or do I even need to, with one already being integral to the browser.
I really like Pale Moon, but I'm on a slow learning curve here :) .
Thanks for any comments or advice, if there's a newbies section, sorry if I missed it.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Totally New to Pale Moon

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-11-09, 21:57

Welcome!

How did you try to import bookmarks and what kind of big file is that? You also mentioned folder copy/paste. Is that still about bookmarks import? If you tried to copy/paste files from Firefox, it doesn't work like that and you could run into trouble. PM and FF are different browsers and you cannot copy/paste files between them like this.

LastPass is not compatible with Pale Moon. You should complain to LP about that. An old (now insecure) version of LP might still work on PM. Don't use it.

You can use Pale Moon's own password manager (some info here). In this case, using a Master Password is recommended. The Master Password+ extension adds some helpful features to Pale Moon's password manager.

Alternatively, I can only recommend KeePass 2 at the moment. If you want easy auto-fill in websites, avoid installing KeePass browser extensions (either incompatible, complicated or insecure). Learn and configure its internal Auto-Type feature. It's worth it.

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-15, 00:26

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how you would copy and paste folders from Firefox, but my main bookmarks are right here on Pale Moon.
The file I tried to import was over the size limit for a html file, or so it stated when I initially tried it.
Just tried it and they did import. Quite a few dups, but no problem with that.
I'll try to use the password program integral to this browser.
Thanks again for the help.

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-15, 00:44

I have a huge snafu going that I'm not understanding.
On the sigh in page, I used my gmail account, and it tells me there's no account by that name, yet I can sign right into gmail.
I used my ISP address to subscribe, is this supposed to be my login. I never even use gmail, was just using this as it's convenient.
My PayPal account was under on of my ISP mail accounts, so I had to use that to login.
Should I just start over completely and used my subscription e-mail as my login ?
This seems overly confusing, or I'm making it that way.
Thank you.

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-15, 00:46

Is there any way to edit a message on here ? If so, I'm missing it.
Thanks.

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-15, 00:51

And if I sign up for a new account, how will it be associated with my subscription ? None of the e-mails I'm trying are working; should I use the e-mail I subscribed with to create a new account. Sorry for the number of posts.
Thank you.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-11-15, 01:02

g00seIII wrote:
Is there any way to edit a message on here ?
There is, but there's a time limit, I believe.
g00seIII wrote:
And if I sign up for a new account, . . .
Can you please inform us what you're talking about? Are you talking about the Pale Moon Start Page (start.me)?

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-19, 22:17

Trying to log in on the start page for Pale Moon. 'Not accepting the account I used for a subscription; do I just need to sign up again ? And using the same e-mail that I used subscribe ?
I tried editing right after posting, tried looking around on page, didn't see anything that would let me edit.
Thank you, sorry I'm getting off to a bad start here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-19, 22:21

The Pale Moon start page (on start.me) is not operated by us.
Any account you have there will be completely independent from other services that are available, so if you attempted to log in there with credentials used on this forum, then that won't work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-19, 22:27

No, this has nothing to do with the forum. I have a log in here, obviously. And I guess I just made a mistake, because I signed up for an account using the e-mail I used to subscribe, and it's asking me if I want to upgrade, which I've done already.
Plus, I go to my profile and see a password change screen, and I didn't set a password when I just signed up; it asked for an e-mail address, then name, language.....
Thank you.

g00seIII

Unread post by g00seIII » 2019-11-19, 22:33

OK, have a password now (used the forgot password feature), so I'll just explore.
Thanks for the help.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-19, 22:34

If you're having an issue getting into your account on the start.me portal, please contact their support department -- we can't really do anything to help you with that, sorry!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-11-29, 00:03

The OP could, of course, be referring to the log-in credentials required for the 'Sync' feature, I suppose? AFAIK, it's the only feature common to all the major browser platforms that actually requires a 'sign-in' of ANY sort, if you want to utilise it.

I'm quite willing to be corrected if I'm wrong here, but it's the only thing I can think the OP is talking about.... As you say, start.me is nothing to do with you (in fact, I don't think Google or Mozilla have owt to do with it, either).

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D