nhl.com not working (continuation from mlb.com thread)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: nhl.com not working (continuation from mlb.com thread)

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-01, 17:49

So, if I load the site in Tor in the small window it opens in, I get the mobile menu. If I maximize the window, it immediately changes to the "All Caps" style menu. No wonder I never saw it before.

If I minimize Pale Moon to a smaller window, I do get the hamburger menu icon and the rest of the banner displays properly, but it's not functional if I click on the hamburger icon and the rest of the page still doesn't load properly.

Edit: Actually, the page works fine in minimized mode if I shrink the window to get the mobile menu. I had to tweak something, but the page does work fine so long as PM is not full screen. If I make it full screen, it goes back to being broken. So, it does seem that the desktop version of the site is the issue here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-01, 18:20

K. Gonna stop this here and now, anything viewed in or viewed over The Pedophile Tor Network or Pedophile Tor Browser is NOT a valid comparative or diagnostic source for determining a damn thing.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-01, 19:14

It's just a data point to me. It led to more tinkering and wouldn't have thought to minimize PM to try to get the mobile version if not for that since I always browse in maximized windows otherwise. So, yes, it did help me to determine something. Makes sense now why there were a couple others in the thread who the site worked fine for in PM.

Besides, I hope you're not insinuating that I am in any way a pedophile just for having the browser installed. It does come in handy on occasion though certainly not for those purposes.

4td8s
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 4td8s » 2019-11-14, 00:09

blame the admin or owner of the NHL.com web site, Sessh
that site only is viewed properly when using Firefox, Chromium-based browsers like Google Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, MS Edge, etc.

Doing tests on my end shows that this problem is not limited to Palemoon alone. Other browsers like Seamonkey and unofficial K-meleon Goanna also have trouble rendering/showing the NHL.com site (along with PM) as I have tested this myself recently on a Win10 LTSC computer.

example of Palemoon attempting to view the NHL.com site on my computer:
palemoon-2872-nhl-website-notdisplayedcorrectly.png

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-14, 00:19

Well, yeah I understand their admins messed it up, but they completely ignored my emails and so it's up to us to fix it. I did find a mozregression range and pushlog, so the answers are buried somewhere in the pushlog.

First good build: 2018-09-13 v64.0a1 (g)
Last bad build: 2018-09-12 v64.0a1 (b)

pushlog: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... d5ec3860ed

Unfortunately, I don't possess the knowledge to be able to pick out the likely suspects from that list or I would have done it myself long ago, so it's down to whenever Moonchild and staff get around to it since this isn't a critical issue.

It might be helpful to know that other browsers are having the same issue though I don't know how. Finding the fix to mlb.com was helped due to Waterfox having the same issue and solving it which made it easier to nail down via cross referencing. I don't know anything about those other browsers, though. Besides, I don't think those admins feel they messed anything up since the site works fine in the browsers they claim to support. All the other browsers can go pound sand or figure it out themselves. It's not fair, but seems that's how it's going to be. I'm sure it will get fixed in PM eventually.

Yeah that pic looks similar to what I see, but it's only the desktop version of the site that is fucked. If you shrink PM's window down far enough, it switches to the mobile version of the site which loads fine. It's just the desktop version that isn't displaying properly.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-11-14, 10:57

There is a mention of this
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399605

here:
https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/1066

Perhaps this is the fix which makes the page work?

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-11-14, 11:43

4td8s wrote:
2019-11-14, 00:09
Other browsers like Seamonkey and unofficial K-meleon Goanna also have trouble rendering/showing the NHL.com site ...
Please keep in mind that SeaMonkey and K-Meleon Goanna are not valid arguments.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-14, 11:44

gepus wrote:
2019-11-14, 11:43
4td8s wrote:
2019-11-14, 00:09
Other browsers like Seamonkey and unofficial K-meleon Goanna also have trouble rendering/showing the NHL.com site ...
Please keep in mind that SeaMonkey and K-Meleon Goanna are not valid arguments.
Discarding small-market browsers out-of-hand is also not a valid argument.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-11-14, 12:00

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-11-01, 18:20
K. Gonna stop this here and now, anything viewed in or viewed over The Pedophile Tor Network or Pedophile Tor Browser is NOT a valid comparative or diagnostic source for determining a damn thing.
Something that doesn't work with "The Pedophile Tor Network" won't work neither without it.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-11-14, 12:02

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-14, 11:44
Discarding small-market browsers out-of-hand is also not a valid argument.
I'm afraid you missed the point.
SeaMonkey based on Firefox ESR 52 and K-Meleon Goanna based on - go figure...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-14, 13:45

Yup, you're saying that anything nonChrome should be discarded.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-11-14, 14:04

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-14, 13:45
Yup, you're saying that anything nonChrome should be discarded.
Wonder if my English is so bad that you can't understand it.

I'm speaking of old code that isn't or can't be maintained with latest patches.

BTW, why don't you offer support for Pale Moon 27? Because it's nonChrome?

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-12-13, 00:31

I'm just bumping this up so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle and/or forgotten about. I'm not having any issues at all with any addons after the upgrade to 28.8.0 and mlb.com works great, so now all that's left is getting nhl.com working right again. Any chance of it getting worked out in the next version or two? I hope it's not considered annoying to bump threads like this or anything. It's only intended as a polite reminder. :)

Just for convenience:

First good build: 2018-09-13 v64.0a1 (g)
Last bad build: 2018-09-12 v64.0a1 (b)

pushlog: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... d5ec3860ed

Off-topic:
Also, I just started using Discord to submit queries regarding an unrelated program. There was someone complaining about a delay when typing there (thread has since been closed), but I experience no delay or issues at all using Discord's app in Pale Moon. Perhaps something else was going on with his setup.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2020-01-15, 21:24

So, I'm still trying to help to narrow this down a bit more to maybe help a little more. I loaded the same site in Slimjet (chromium) and I noticed that the same errors seen in Pale Moon (mbox error, 403 errors) are also present in Slimjet, but the site loads fine there and not in Pale Moon. I see two obvious lines that appear in Pale Moon's console that don't in Slimjet's console:
Using //@ to indicate sourceMappingURL pragmas is deprecated. Use //# instead

Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead.
Here are screenshots. I don't know if this will help at all, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Slimjet console with nhl.com loaded properly.
Slimjet console with nhl.com loaded properly.
Pale Moon console with nhl.com not loading properly.
Pale Moon console with nhl.com not loading properly.
Hope that helps, but probably not. :)

hawkeye116477
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hawkeye116477 » 2020-02-13, 08:58

Probably that won't make much difference, but I can narrow pushlog a little
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... d5ec3860ed

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2020-02-14, 16:35

hawkeye116477 wrote:
2020-02-13, 08:58
Probably that won't make much difference, but I can narrow pushlog a little
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... d5ec3860ed
That's nice of you, maybe it will help the devs find a solution. I would have done it myself by now if I could have. Whenever you have time and thanks for offering to help. :)