ebay photos problem Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
arzach

ebay photos problem

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-11, 03:31

Item photos on ebay are no longer clickable for me (PM 28.7.2 on fully updated PCLOS). In the past this was an occassional annoyance and reloading the page usually rectified the situation but now it happens 100% of the time and does not go away no matter how many times I reload the page.

Any suggestions?

arzach

Update: ebay photos problem

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-11, 15:04

Renaming '.moonchild productions' in the Home directory and restarting PM makes the problem go away. Of course my bookmarks (and probably other settings) are lost by doing that. The only add on I have is adblock latitude. Disabling it yielded no resolution. Removing it and rebooting yielded no resolution.

Clearly the problem lies somewhere down in '.moonchild productions' but I don't know how to ferret it out. Any suggestions?

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: ebay photos problem

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-11, 22:01

What is PCLOS?
I opened several item pages on ebay with PM 28.7.2 x32 on Xubuntu and Puppy Linux and found no problems with hovering, clicking and opening item photos.
As you mentioned "renaming" the .moonchild productions folder which contains the browser profile(s), perhaps you messed something up there, by starting the browser with that folder renamed.

Did you try the recommended steps like starting Pale Moon in Safe Mode or creating a clean new profile?
A tutorial to do so is here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8240

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-11, 22:48

PM rebuilds that directory if it's not present. It did that and worked correctly, though my bookmarks and other settings were lost. When I removed the newly-built directory and restored the original .moonchild productions directory the behavior returned. There is an issue with some setting in .moonchild productions which I am trying to identify.

arzach

Update: ebay photos problem

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-11, 23:47

The problem appears to be ebay.
It refuses to allow mouse-over of clickable on auction images unless I have cookies turned on.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-11-12, 09:15

[Sorry, Xubuntu updates took a looong time...] - To your previous post:
So this rebuild Pale Moon profile seems to be a new one then. I don't know what and how important the "other" settings in your old profile are, but if the old passwords and bookmarks are your main concern, you could reload your old profile by re-renaming that old .moonchild productions folder again, in Pale Moon open the bookmarks manager and export your bookmarks to json or html files for later import into the new created Pale Moon profile. For passwords I can recommend to install the Password Exporter add on (to find on PM addons page) save your passwords with it to import them into the new created profile later.
For other custom settings like in about:config you would have to re-configure them in the new profile of course.

ps: reading your last post, it may be your cookie settings are too restricted for ebay (as they like to record everything you click on to a history)

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-13, 03:22

Thanks. I moved my bookmarks w/o problem.

Ebay appears to have recently begun requiring cookies to view images. This actually has a positive aspect to it as I've been wanting to wean myself from ebay anyway!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-13, 09:49

I really don't understand this all or nothing attitude with regard to cookies. Sites have used cookies for decades, literally, for essential functionality. They aren't evil. The browser offers a pretty fine-grained approach to cookie storage (you can decide per domain whether to allow them) so on the sites you actually want to use, you can just allow them. Same as disabling adblockers on sites you trust.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-13, 10:48

For the most part, you want cookies from sites that you have to login to, they can be used to save site preferences, and blocking them on some sites can interfere with the login process.
I use a whitelist, only sites requiring a login are allowed to set them.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-11-14, 03:21

Actually for the most part I *don't* want cookies. I turn them on when necessary and I whitelist sites I absolutely need to use (e.g. email at work). Ebay already knows too much about me and I don't see anything good coming from them having an easy time maintaining that profile.

Now that I know where the problem lies I can easily work around it when I need to...the key phrase being "when I need to".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-14, 11:43

Whatever works for you :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-11-15, 00:58

Off-topic:
loxodont wrote:
What is PCLOS?
A Linux OS; PCLinuxOS.

loxodont
Astronaut