Built pipelight, how to install?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Built pipelight, how to install?

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-10, 01:28

So I built pipelight from source and after some trial and error, it has generated libpipelight.so. How do I add the plugin to my Pale Moon installation, since it's not enough to copy it to /usr/lib/palemoon?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Built pipelight, how to install?

Unread post by adesh » 2019-11-10, 11:20

Create a directory named plugins in your installation and put it there.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-10, 13:59

But if that's the case shouldn't there already be one for the Flash plugin? Tried it just now and it didn't work, i.e. nothing new shown in about:plugins, just the existing Flash. Pale Moon is installed (via package) to /usr/lib/palemoon.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-11-10, 17:12

Try using:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/plugins

Or something similar to that, replacing $HOME/plugins with whatever directory you installed the plugin into. I've never been able to get plugins working in a portable install of PM on Unix without using that trick. Probably there's a more elegant way, but that way should work. The only time I've ever not had to do that is if it was installed by distribution's package that designated a plugin directory for all browsers that use NPAPI.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-10, 17:15

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-10, 13:59
But if that's the case shouldn't there already be one for the Flash plugin?
Not necessarily. The browser looks in several places for plugins, not just one.
Also it should have worked putting it in /plugins under the application folder (but you have to restart the browser).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-11, 02:08

athenian200 wrote:
2019-11-10, 17:12
Try using:
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/plugins
Didn't work :(
Set it to the default plugin location, i.e. /usr/lib/palemoon/plugins
Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-10, 17:15
The browser looks in several places for plugins, not just one.
Also it should have worked putting it in /plugins under the application folder (but you have to restart the browser).
This didn't work either. I'm using the package built version of PM which is in /usr/lib/palemoon, so I've put my plugins/ directory under that. Is there any other place to put it?
I also checked that the library was correctly built i.e. 32 vs 64-bit-

Code: Select all

libpipelight.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=7c6b606a6306230ccaa32446e390a4784b158fba, not stripped

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-11-11, 06:01

Well, if that didn't work, I think the plugin you built must be incompatible or missing something it requires to work. It's notoriously difficult to troubleshoot this kind of issue.

Could you test whether other plugins work when you put them in those directories? The MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH thing is basically guaranteed to pick it up if it's going to work at all, but when it fails sometimes it just refuses to load it and doesn't explain why. I've also found that sometimes after the first load failure of a plugin, it won't try to load it again when I restart.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-11, 06:34

I only have Flash which is installed as a system package in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin. I moved it from there to the folder I had created, and it got picked up and was shown in about:plugins after restarting. So looks like a problem with the way pipelight was built.

Is there a way to log plugin discovery/initialization? Browser console only seems to show javascript errors from loading chrome components.