Please tell me how to open the source code in the tab.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pixy_jp

Unread post by pixy_jp » 2019-11-09, 07:48

When you open the source code, it will open in a new window.
I want to display it as a tab instead of a window.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Please tell me how to open the source code in the tab.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-09, 07:59

It's not designed to be displayed in a tab since it is not a browser document. The source viewer is its own thing, with its own functionality and own menu.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-09, 10:43

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-09, 07:59
It's not designed to be displayed in a tab since it is not a browser document. The source viewer is its own thing, with its own functionality and own menu.
Off-topic:
Obviously s/he's used to Chrome-land (and by extension, post Australis Firefox land) where every desktop UI convention is shat upon by having everything displayed in tabs instead of sane UI elements like dialog boxes for configuration, and separate windows and sidebars.
The irony is that if you're looking at source, it's easier to alt-tab between it and the page you're looking at rather than if it was in a tab. Especially if you have several of them open.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-11-09, 10:49

Open a tab, and in the address bar go to view-source: followed by the URL of the page you want to see the source of, e.g.

Code: Select all

view-source:https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/View_source

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-09, 11:22

SpockFan02 wrote:
2019-11-09, 10:49
view-source:
In the process you'll lose the menu of the source view window, so you will no longer have access to handy features like "go to line" or the "wrap long lines" and "syntax highlighting" toggles.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-11-09, 11:36

However, if you don't really care about the extra features mentioned above, there is an extension that automatically opens the source code in the tab.