Positive PR, finally! (Add more if you find them)

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Positive PR, finally! (Add more if you find them)

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-02, 04:18

I am sick of seeing people diss PM online with the old chestnut of it being 'outdated', so was pleasantly surprised to find that GHacks has posted about a new version being released, and they don't have the typical condescension or 'iT's aN oUTdAtEd fOrK' attitude. Of course the comments there...
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Positive PR, finally! (Add more if you find them)

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-02, 08:34

Nothing new, really. For a while now Ghacks has been putting out articles for PM releases and the comments have always been toxic. Martin started moderating comments more carefully when some of the commentors resorted to referring to Pale Moon users as "autistic" among other slurs.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18527
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-08-02, 10:41

I read the article last month when Martin released it, as I read all the articles martin writes about PM. He has always been fair and informative about the browser. At that time there were only two comments and I never got around to going back to read further comments in order to get a laugh from the FF Fanboys. @Isengrim, you are correct, I do believe that Martin has started moderating the comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2019-08-02, 10:58

On a positive note, Pale Moon has recently been added to SpywareBlaster.
Stay away from crowds.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-08-02, 15:27

basicuser wrote:
2019-08-02, 10:58
As recently as 5-7 years ago, maybe longer :D

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2019-08-02, 22:23

satrow wrote:
2019-08-02, 15:27
basicuser wrote:
2019-08-02, 10:58
As recently as 5-7 years ago, maybe longer :D
Off-topic:
Well you got me there. :)
Stay away from crowds.

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2019-11-05, 00:02

At the risk of touting old news but good news, again, Restore Privacy has listed Pale Moon as one of eight secure browsers. The list is part of an article noting various privacy means and methods.

https://restoreprivacy.com/privacy-tools/
Stay away from crowds.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-05, 00:50

basicuser wrote:
2019-11-05, 00:02
At the risk of touting old news but good news, again, Restore Privacy has listed Pale Moon as one of eight secure browsers. The list is part of an article noting various privacy means and methods.

https://restoreprivacy.com/privacy-tools/
Still have to add that bit about it being 'dated' :roll:
Because keyboard and mouse users don't exist in their world.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by basicuser » 2019-11-05, 03:12

[/quote]Still have to add that bit about it being 'dated' :roll:
Because keyboard and mouse users don't exist in their world.
[/quote]

Gee whizz, good news is good news, the page is dated August 13, 2019 which ain't tooo old. I find the site a good place for a plain-English overview of web security for noobs like me.

Cheers
Stay away from crowds.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-05, 03:50

It just feels like a backhanded inclusion as I belive I said at the time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-05, 06:14

basicuser wrote:
2019-11-05, 03:12
he page is dated August 13, 2019 which ain't tooo old.
It wasn't about the date of the article, but how Pale Moon is called "dated", because they simply always have to have some jab at it just because the UI look&feel is different than the latest trends/fads.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-11-05, 10:11

Well i notice brave and iridium listed but as these are chromium based then there is no real privacy as these connect to google upon launch.

But of course if google scripts are not being blocked on websites then there is exposure right there.I don't think you can totally evade surveillance in this regard.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-05, 12:02

Moonchild wrote:
2019-11-05, 06:14
It wasn't about the date of the article, but how Pale Moon is called "dated", because they simply always have to have some jab at it just because the UI look&feel is different than the latest trends/fads.
Where 'latest trend/fad' = 'I have room temperature IQ and will thus have an instant brainfart if there is anything other than gigantic icons optimized for poking at a mobile screen with my sausage roll fingers while staring at it like a shit-chucking ape'.

Sorry, had to get that out. I am a fanatic for well designed UI and I utterly hate the new fashion of dummifying everything for touchscreen use only and calling it 'modern' or 'progress'.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-11-05, 16:34

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-05, 12:02
Where 'latest trend/fad' = 'I have room temperature IQ and will thus have an instant brainfart if there is anything other than gigantic icons optimized for poking at a mobile screen with my sausage roll fingers while staring at it like a shit-chucking ape'.
Off-topic:
Earlier this afternoon I watched a video of a person taking 5 whole minutes to complete the 30 seconds long tutorial of a platformer videogame.
The tutorial was literally "move left and right, duck with down, jump with this key and if you dash after jumping you can cross greater distances", but it was apparently too hard.
Now imagine if these people were in charge of making reviews on games or software or whatever. Pretty scary, isn't it.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-05, 20:29

I was a member of a forum called computerforum.com and they gave me shit for my browser of choice. The people there were constant idiots, I tell you.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-11-05, 22:22

These articles mean nothing and people writing them know shit. These people have low IQ and most probably didn't get proper education. Seemingly less mediocre among the more so.
Off-topic:
I don't use Pale Moon because it is more "private" but because it obeys its master and not some big corporation with "evil" intentions. It just does what is told, no more no less.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-05, 23:05

adesh wrote:
2019-11-05, 22:22
Off-topic:
I don't use Pale Moon because it is more "private" but because it obeys its master and not some big corporation with "evil" intentions. It just does what is told, no more no less.
Off-topic:
It has long become the norm for every damn piece of software to phone home with tracking and analytics or to be dependent on some server component, so Pale Moon is a throwback to a more innocent era, when the software you downloaded was yours to use however you want and it didn't report on your activities for 'enhancing user experience'.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2019-11-06, 01:21

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-11-05, 20:29
they gave me shit for my browser of choice.
One of many many many reasons I left a social media site called GTribe. Sad.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-06, 06:36

adesh wrote:
2019-11-05, 22:22
These articles mean nothing and people writing them know shit. These people have low IQ and most probably didn't get proper education. Seemingly less mediocre among the more so.
I think it's not about IQ or general education, so coming at it from that angle is a bit harsh, but the problem is most people don't know how to do proper research before writing their articles. This is why most articles out there today are just copied/reworded versions of other articles instead of actual new articles. Anyone with academic/scientific background knows you have to do your own research and verify what you found to write anything to present to the public to inform them, because guess what, you need to do this if you even want to think about writing a thesis.

But in this day and age "anyone with a computer can write and publish" or so they think, and end up just amplifying what has already been written instead of actually writing anything. If they don't know how to go through the paces to research subjects then a short course in journalism practices might be a good idea since that will present this kind of researching in easy to digest ways. Thankfully some people actually do some research (and usually end up with more positive articles about Pale Moon as a result) but they still need to do more of it or verify with the people they write about that what they are about to say to millions of people is correct, otherwise it's just "aping hearsay". You might call it "sensationalism versus actual news".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-11-06, 08:37

Lot of that going around these days. True journalism died many years ago.

Thomas Jefferson once said: "The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. He who reads nothing will still learn the great facts, and the details are all false."

In this day and age it's more like: The man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads Wikipedia. :D

Speaking of Wikipedia. I have the whole thing on Blu-ray M-Disc. I update it every so often and it's my wish to have those discs set inside my coffin.