PM and Duolingo.com almost totally freezes together with Linux on one specific animated site[html5 animation?]

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
name108

PM and Duolingo.com almost totally freezes together with Linux on one specific animated site[html5 animation?]

Unread post by name108 » 2019-10-10, 04:36

Hi

As in Subject name. When I go to this sub-side of duolingo https://www.duolingo.com/plus the whole browser almost freezes together with the system(the website animation drops to like 1fps and the system is much more slower also) and then I have to kill the browser by system monitor or some other way(the ctrl+w or X button doesn't work).

Does it also happens to you? Is it specific for Linux? My Linux is Linux Mint 19.2 and PM 28.7.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM and Duolingo.com almost totally freezes together with Linux on one specific animated site[html5 animation?]

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-10, 10:22

The way they animate the little elements on the background (individually animating DIVs) is very expensive and will cause high CPU load due to having to recompute and composite the page for each frame. This isn't Linux specific -- on my Windows system it will also pretty much eat up one processor core for it, and that's -with- hardware acceleration. You may want to write to duolingo and let them know their animation kills website usability.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

name108

Re: PM and Duolingo.com almost totally freezes together with Linux on one specific animated site[html5 animation?]

Unread post by name108 » 2019-10-10, 14:13

Thank you for the explanation.
I will write but I guess they will say I should change the browser, where it works normal(I tried only chromium and it was ok).
The CPU was almost the same, but the CPU "IOWait" was 60% more.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-15, 20:42

What kind of graphics card do you have? That site seems to work fine on my Solaris and Windows machines (maybe I'm not triggering the right animation, but interacting with that page is surprisingly smooth). It's worth noting that both machines have nVidia hardware acceleration, and that could be making a difference. If you're using software rendering or something like that, this might be REALLY slow/broken for you. I know because I've tried to struggle along with software rendering before, it really sucks.

If you are on Linux, make sure you're using the proprietary nVidia drivers and not those awful nouveau drivers that some distributions push by default... those don't work well and don't enable all features of the card.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

name108

Unread post by name108 » 2019-10-31, 09:19

athenian200 wrote:
2019-10-15, 20:42
What kind of graphics card do you have?
It's not my machine but yes I've checked that and it doesn't look good, meaning it's some Intel :thumbdown: pentium integrated card :thumbdown: :thumbdown: and I have even problems watching any videos full screen(media player, not in the browser).
However as I mentioned earlier, other browser doesn't have problem with that animations.

And also still, putting aside my case, I was wondering that maybe it would be important to somehow prevent such situations(to much overload in low-specs PC users up to the point that even the system isn't responsive) would be beneficial in general.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-31, 13:19

Well, to be honest, there are some performance issues with the software renderer. I'm aware of at least one such issue that Gecko-based browsers have historically, it involves subpixel rendering on X11. Is it possible you're using this with a display that doesn't have normal RGB subpixel rendering? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_ ... ng#PenTile If that were the case, the software renderer might be even slower than it usually is.

Sorry I'm asking so many weird, hardware-specific questions, it's just that I suspect there must be something about your hardware that's causing the software renderer to perform exceptionally poorly, worse than in other browsers even.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind