Will Flash player be supported after 2020? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Aleksi

Will Flash player be supported after 2020?

Unread post by Aleksi » 2019-10-30, 08:34

That would be great so i can enjoy my flash games longer :)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Will Flash player be supported after 2020?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-30, 08:58

I don't think we're planning to drop support for NPAPI plugins any time soon, but there's a chance Adobe will take Flash player downloads offline after 2020. So if you have a Flash player, it won't stop working, but it might be hard to obtain Flash Player in the future.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Aleksi

Unread post by Aleksi » 2019-10-30, 09:24

Thank you! :)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-10-30, 10:08

Some people are still using v11.2 on some gamesites,I use half a dozen sites for my 5 year old son and don't intend to stop using flash except if the gamesites quit using it of course.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-30, 10:51

except if the gamesites quit using it of course.
That's the bigger worry..if they do that then having it won't matter anyway. At this point I don't think there is any other popular NPAPI plugin left. Flash and Java were the 2 main plugins in use, now the Java plugin also won't be supported beyond version 9.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-30, 10:55

There are literally 10s of thousands of creative projects using Flash, that can't easily and won't be rewritten to anything else. There will always be a need for it if you want to continue to be able to view/play these Flash games/movies/interactive pieces of art/novels/etc.

NPAPI is a very mature, solid plugin system and there is no intention whatsoever to drop this in UXP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-30, 11:07

Moonchild wrote:
2019-10-30, 10:55
There are literally 10s of thousands of creative projects using Flash, that can't easily and won't be rewritten to anything else. There will always be a need for it if you want to continue to be able to view/play these Flash games/movies/interactive pieces of art/novels/etc.
The concern more is whether these Flash game sites will continue to stay up after that date, given that the majority browsers in the market will instantly truncate their audience.

I feel bad that all these initial technologies the old Mozilla developed are robust as they are (XUL/XPCOM/NPAPI/XPI installer) and live on under UXP, but there's no hope for any large scale new development using them other than a few extensions that we have here. With plugin development especially, since the biggest ones Flash/Java are ceasing further development.
Unless Pale Moon grows in usage enough for big companies and developers of popular extensions to again take notice.
Off-topic:
Back in the day, I used to open Flash/Shockwave games/animations in IE, look up the name of the embedded object and save it from the browser cache. Desktop media players can play Flash files, so I'd be able to play the game offline without having to go to the site each time. Of course this was only for self contained games that didn't need any network access to function.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-30, 11:22

We can't predict the future.

The sites might fold, or we might see a surge in our usership, or maybe the websites find other ways to present the flash content to their audience (although any such system is very likely going to be a lot less performant).
What Adobe should do is open-source Flash if they no longer want to maintain it, since its internal structures have been largely unknown and having to work from reverse-engineering of the SWF format for alternatives has been preventing proper alternative development. But it's very unlikely they will.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2019-10-30, 14:35

There is BlueMaxima's Flashpoint, the webgame preservation project (28 000 games in v6.3):
http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-10-30, 18:17

letmeindude wrote:
2019-10-30, 14:35
There is BlueMaxima's Flashpoint, the webgame preservation project (28 000 games in v6.3):
http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/
Nice looking project and i admire the effort taken but unfortunately the linux version seems a bit of a pain and im not prepared to install wine at all,

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-30, 18:20

Linux DOES have flash and atm it is just as up to date as other operating systems.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-10-30, 19:39

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-30, 18:20
Linux DOES have flash and atm it is just as up to date as other operating systems.
Thanks im aware of that as i have benn using flash on linux for years.My concern is if the googlemeister cracks his whip and puts an end to flash gamesites etc.
I run flash in pale moon disabled "until" i use my specific sites.I don't see the harm in this even with a out of date flash player unless of course some of the gamesites go to the darkside etc.

Pale moon 29.4.1

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2019-11-03, 07:30

Code: Select all

Nice looking project and i admire the effort taken but unfortunately the linux version seems a bit of a pain and im not prepared to install wine at all,
You DO NOT need Wine, Flash is natively supported on Linux, see https://get.adobe.com/en/flashplayer/

Some distributions have packages, e.g. Ubuntu.
This is the easiest way to install it.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-11-04, 05:47

http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/faq/ wrote:Q: What operating systems do you support?
A: Windows 7 and up, as thoroughly updated as possible.
https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/datahub/Linux_Support wrote:Linux support in Flashpoint is currently experimental due to a lack of maintainers.