sometimes when scrolling with mouse palemoon goes to previos page

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
pr0fessor

sometimes when scrolling with mouse palemoon goes to previos page

Unread post by pr0fessor » 2019-10-26, 12:46

sometimes when scrolling down/up with mouse wheel, palemoon goes to previous page (maybe this is in relationship with right mouse click which brings menu with back at top).
this stupid bug is inherited from firefox and is from years and is not only in linux, in windows too.
can't find any workaround, neither in palemoon, neither in firefox...
this is no mouse problem, because is only in firefox based browsers, not in chrome, and i have 2 computers at work which have the same bug, and notebook + computer in home...
sorry for my poor english

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: sometimes when scrolling with mouse palemoon goes to previos page

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-26, 21:47

This happens if you press Shift and scroll. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2019-10-28, 11:46

I had a problem with identical symptoms: in the Pale Moon browser (and possibly other Mozilla-based programs), the scroll wheel was causing the browser to navigate through history. I have a longer write-up on my blog, but here's the gist of it:
You can try masking certain inputs from the mouse, which are sending bogus inputs to the browser. Use "xev" utility to view what signals the machine gets when using the scroll wheel. Upon scrolling up, my mouse was sending button 4, 8, and 9. I had to mask the buttons 8 and 9 and then scrolling went back to normal!

Code: Select all

xinput set-button-map "$( xinput | awk -F'[=]' '/ouse/{print $2}' | awk '{print $1}' | head -n1 )" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 0

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-28, 12:00

You sure it isn't just the middlemouse preferences that traditional Unix users from the 90s like?