Passwords from Firefox or Chrome Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Coastie

Passwords from Firefox or Chrome

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-22, 21:36

I have just started using Pale Moon and Waterfox because Firefox Quantum stopped playing Facebook videos. After watching Chris Were's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjYchhi2Ek there are lots of other reasons to use Pale Moon. I think Pale Moon will be my primary browser and Water Fox will be the back up. Looks like there will be no need for Fire Fox or Chrome except for Google Calendar.

Got all my bookmarks from Fire Fox 70 but having do my passwords one at a time as I need them. Not sure if Password Backup Tool https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/password-backup-tool/ works on Linux or is safe. I can live with doing passwords one at a time. Is there a simpler and safe way to do it?

MX Linux 18.3
ASUS: M32
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-6700
HDD: 2 TB
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: Integrated Radeon HD Graphics

Left Mac OS X to Linux in January 2014

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Passwords from Firefox or Chrome

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-22, 23:07

What do you mean by 'safe'? If you're worried that the extension is going to send all your passwords to an evil hacker, then that's not the case. Extensions are reviewed by humans before submission here, not automated and subject to manipulation the way they are with Mozilla Addons.
The tool supports importing from Chrome on Windows only - for Firefox it should work fine on Linux. And Google Calendar works fine on Pale Moon, not sure why you would need Chrome for that.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Coastie

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-22, 23:46

Not worried about "evil hacker." :lol: I was not sure about the warning on the page for the Password Back Up Tool.

I installed the Google Calendar Chrome App for my desktop because the Thunderbird Lighting calendar started causing problems (duplicate events, etc.) and I want the calendar on my Android tablet to sync with the calendar on my desktop PC to sync. I think if I uninstall Chrome browser, the desktop Google Calendar App won't work. I haven't found another way to sync the calendars. I think it is the Google Calendar Chrome web page running on my desktop. That may not be a good idea. :?

Thanks, I give the Password Back Up Tool a try. :thumbup:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-23, 00:07

The warning is standard, if you export your passwords you should be careful about securing the exported file. Best is to use a separate password management tool. I use Bitwarden, it's open source and provides desktop/mobile apps as well as browser extensions (not for Pale Moon, alas). The password database is itself strongly encrypted before storing on their server for syncing.
You could give Interlink a try, it is a Thunderbird fork built using the Unified XUL Platform underpinning Palemoon and has Lightning built in. I've been using it with my Google Calendar and it works great.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Coastie

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-23, 20:33

Either Password Back Up Tool is not working or I can't find correct file in either Firefox or Waterfox. Oh well, I was content to just add passwords one at a time as needed. Unfortunately, Pale Moon is not offering to save or saving passwords. I tried it on two e-mail accounts and YouTube(Google) with no luck. Preferences are set Remember Passwords fill in logins, and no exceptions. :tired:

Help will be appreciated.

Coastie

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-24, 15:37

:( I have uninstalled Pale Moon and reinstalled it. It let me save the first login I tried and still had one from when I replaced the login file in Pale Moon with the one from Waterfox. There must be an easier way to transfer my passwords. Fire Fox said I had over 200!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-10-24, 16:28

Coastie wrote:
2019-10-23, 20:33
Either Password Back Up Tool is not working or I can't find correct file in either Firefox or Waterfox.
In order to import passwords from Waterfox you need to install PBT in both Pale Moon and Waterfox, and then export from the source and import into the target. For Firefox (58+) you can use PBT to import data directly from "logins.json" located in the Firefox profile folder.
Coastie wrote:
2019-10-24, 15:37
I replaced the login file in Pale Moon with the one from Waterfox.
You better not do it that way.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-24, 17:12

You can't manually transfer passwords via profile manipulation from newer versions of Firefox to a UXP Application.. 52 and older sure that can work though unsupported and you choose to give up support upon profile manipulation.

Coastie

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-24, 17:55

JustOff wrote:
2019-10-24, 16:28
In order to import passwords from Waterfox you need to install PBT in both Pale Moon and Waterfox, and then export from the source and import into the target. For Firefox (58+) you can use PBT to import data directly from "logins.json" located in the Firefox profile folder.
That worked! :thumbup: :thumbup: I did not try the way using Fire Fox. It's too harded to find logins.json. :oops:
JustOff wrote:
2019-10-24, 16:28
Coastie wrote:
2019-10-24, 15:37
I replaced the login file in Pale Moon with the one from Waterfox.
You better not do it that way.
Thank goodness it did not mess any thing up!

Looks like Pale Moon will be my primary browser and I won't need a secondary browser. :clap: :clap:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-10-24, 18:05

Coastie wrote:
2019-10-24, 17:55
I did not try the way using Fire Fox. It's too harded to find logins.json.
Firefox profile folder can be found using the menu "Help" -> "Troubleshooting Information" (or just by opening "about:support").

Coastie

Unread post by Coastie » 2019-10-24, 18:15

I tried that but it was still confusing. :oops: I liked your other method using Password Back Up Tool better. :lol: