search engines

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
Kane_the_black
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

search engines

Unread post by Kane_the_black » 2019-10-17, 20:09

I noticed your suggestions for using DDG. Have you ever wondered to cooperate also with Ecosia? I am asking because on the one hand I would love to be able to help you, on the other hand I like this search engine which additionally cares for trees. And for me using two search engines at once is sometimes ... troublesome :) Regards

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: search engines

Unread post by Mæstro » 2019-10-17, 21:05

Much of Pale Moon's funding comes from an advertising agreement with DuckDuckGo; Moonchild's Patreon is unfortunately not funded enough that the project can sustain itself without advertising funds. Because Ecosia diverts its advertising revenue to plant trees, it would not be possible to form such a similar agreement with Ecosia. That being said, Pale Moon does include Ecosia Search (beside DDG, Wikipedia, Twitter, Yahoo and Bing) as a pre-installed search engine, and you can easily change that to be your default search engine, if you wish, and support Pale Moon directly.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Kane_the_black
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kane_the_black » 2019-10-18, 09:22

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2019-10-17, 21:05
it would not be possible to form such a similar agreement with Ecosia.
I hope that all users of your browser will support you in your work, at least in this way. I created this post because I noticed something on the blog Waterfox: "Waterfox has now partnered with Ecosia as a way to raise funds. When using Ecosia, revenue generated from ads helps plant trees and contributes to Waterfox upkeep costs! If you’d like to help support Waterfox while also doing some good in the world, please help us out by using it!" ........Which shows that it is not so impossible. I realize that this idea may be uninteresting for you. After all, it's just my idea and you are the owners. I believe that this post and your opinion so strongly accented will draw the attention of all users that exactly in this way they can perfectly support your efforts. Personally, every time I choose DDG, I will have the feeling of supporting you in your hard and wonderful work that you do for all of us. best regards :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-18, 10:12

As an aside, if we get a few more people on the Patreon we can kill any remaining ads on the Pale Moon websites. So close now!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-10-18, 12:32

Off-topic:
Just out of curiousity how difficult would it be for the pale moon team to create their own search engine or is that beyond the realm of possibility.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-18, 13:58

Moonraker wrote:
2019-10-18, 12:32
Off-topic:
Just out of curiousity how difficult would it be for the pale moon team to create their own search engine or is that beyond the realm of possibility.
You have the PM team confused with Mozilla ;)
They're the ones with both the cash to burn and the ADHD required to spread themselves thinly across a dozen unrelated projects while letting their core browser turn into an absolute mess.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-18, 18:14

Speaking to that, almost everything Mozilla has done for the past 10 years has failed. Almost everything we have done within the same time period has succeeded.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-18, 19:17

Although Ecosia seems to be in a position now to share revenue with Waterfox, we won't change our relation with them. I added the search engine without any request for something reciprocal, because they are already doing a good thing; not just for Open Source, but for the planet. No need to chip away from that effort.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite