Calendate

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

back0rifize

Calendate

Unread post by back0rifize » 2017-06-05, 23:51

I've ported my extension, Calendate, from Firefox to Pale Moon (and now development will be only under PM). What is it and what it can do:
  • it's a powerful datepicker/calendar;
  • it places current date at the toolbar, so you always can see, what date is now;
  • can store, edit and delete your events;
  • can remind you about any events for current date (with alarm notifications, icon changing and pop-up window, when the mouse pointer is over an icon);
  • can play sound for incoming events (OS-based or your own);
  • can change skins (for now, there are only two available skins, but in future I'll try to do a little bit more);
  • working with SQLite, it's very quick and not "hungry for memory";
  • you can manually defragment your database file (to prevent/repair any corruptions, if there are);
  • supporting many locales, but not all the possibles;
  • working under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (maybe, under Sun/Solaris too).
For the next update we're planning:
  • add a context menu for main window (coding now, almost done);
  • add a day's calculator (already done);
  • add an *.ogg supporting (coding now);
  • add an option for hiding/restoring current date in toolbar (not even close);
  • add some new locales (not even close);
  • add some new skins (not even close).
Pictures (old, but most of them still actual; traffic aware):
By the way, if somebody wants to participate in case of localization, my gratitude towards you will immense!

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Calendate

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2017-06-06, 03:54

That is great!

However, will it work properly? I posted some issues awhile back and no response. Same with others when I first started a search on the forum. So, let me ask you this: where should I report bugs at, either here on the forum or GitHub?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2017-06-06, 07:30

It works properly, all work was checked as many times, as it possible under many operation systems (WinXP, Win7 x86/x64, Mac OS 10.6.x, Ubuntu 12.x and higher and so on) ;) .

For bug report, you can post any issues/suggestions right here, in this thread.

Sorry, I have forgotten to describe some features:
  • double click at any date (current month only) in main window automatically opens an "Events editor" for creating any event that you need;
  • you can use hot keys in the "Events list": "Insert" (for creating a new event) and "Delete" (for deleting marked event).

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-10-09, 17:43

Topic unlocked by OP's request (it was locked due to inactivity).

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-10-09, 20:03

Seems better than when I tried it before.
"Ignition" in Create dialog should be "Category" or "Event Type" or something similar.
The List should show the date by default! (And it should have a better window title than "Observer".) It's not saving the date that is chosen, &/or not displaying it correctly in the list, and Date doesn't match Day/Mo, which makes it mostly not functional. Needs more work to be useful.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-10, 01:46

Lootyhoof, thanks a lot!

Michaell, let's understand the points:
  • "Ignition" in Create dialog should be "Category" or "Event Type" or something similar.
    Maybe, you're right. I'll think about it, you have my word.
  • The List should show the date by default!
    Why so modest? Next time use 10n exclamation marks, do me a favour. And don't forget to slam your fist on the table - be more convincing!
    What about your soul scream: events window has a column picker, so choose any column as you like (and drag any column as you like). Flexibility, alrighty? It's not a bug, it's nothing more than a question of personal perception.
  • It's not saving the date that is chosen, &/or not displaying it correctly in the list, and Date doesn't match Day/Mo, which makes it mostly not functional.
    Screenshots, please? OS, please? Browser version, please? Portable or installed, please? Step-by-step, please? Something to start digging, please? Thank you.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-10-10, 13:55

It's a Calendar/Event extension so of course date should be shown - anything else is just dumb. (I'll use punctuation however I choose, dude!!!)

I'm not going to do any screenshots or anything because it is too blatantly obvious and because this isn't important enough to me. There are other, better extensions for this anyway.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-10, 14:05

Michaell wrote:
2019-10-10, 13:55
I'm not going to do any screenshots or anything because it is too blatantly obvious and because this isn't important enough to me. There are other, better extensions for this anyway.
But important enough to gripe about it here without providing any further information, because hey, the developer owes you his work and should just read your mind to figure out what went wrong?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-10, 15:39

back0rifize wrote:
2019-10-10, 01:46
Screenshots, please?
I just now installed Calendate out of curiosity. Using Pale Moon 28.7.1, Win 7 x86.

It does seem that the date(s) displayed in the List are not accurate (and differently inaccurate, depending on whether it's the Date column, or the Day/Month/Year columns).
  • I created two events, both to recur monthly.
  • The first, "Gymn," was created to start Saturday, Oct 12.
  • The second, "Hiking," was created start Monday, Nov 04.
After creating them, this is what showed in the List, and in the calendars for Oct, Nov, Dec:
(There were no errors in the Error Console.)
List.
calendate-list.png
Oct.
october.png
Nov.
november.png
Dec.
december.png

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-11, 00:41

Michaell wrote:
It's a Calendar/Event extension so of course date should be shown - anything else is just dumb.
I've already said all what am I thinking about it.
Michaell wrote:
(I'll use punctuation however I choose, dude!!!)
Wow! With this post you've just remind me an "Exilia - Shout Louder" song :lol: . In Russia, we have a proverb: "Don't shout - you ain't at home! But if you're at home - don't yell anyway!" - something like this.
Let me answer to you in your way: if you want an adequate feedback, better start speaking with less hysteric and more constructive point, dude!!! This extension is a GNU GPL licensed, so it means that you can do with it whatever you want to do (change/delete code, change/delete localization, change/delete absolutely anything), dude!!! And remember the most important thing in your life: in this world, nobody owes you anything... DUDE!!!
Michaell wrote:
I'm not going to do any screenshots or anything because it is too blatantly obvious and because this isn't important enough to me.
I've already imagine the situation:
- Hey, you, doc, I have some decease!
- Alright, so what are the symptoms do you have?
- Piss off, medical scum! There are better doctors than you anyway! (*background_sound_of_a_door_slam.mp3)

Generally speaking: if you've found some bug and you dislike it, it's in your interests to give to the dev as much useful information, as it ever possible. Take a look at coffeebreak's post: that is a well-starting report, without any shouts, anger or claims. And in that case I shall do biz with pleasure. Or even my own bug reports: Glitch in prev/next buttons in the "datepicker" component, Problem with current date displaying in PM v27.2.0 (x64) - at least, there is some info to dev to start digging.
Michaell wrote:
There are other, better extensions for this anyway.
U R welcome to use them all, I shall not cry, I promise.
moonbat wrote:
2019-10-10, 14:05
Michaell wrote:
But important enough to gripe about it here without providing any further information, because hey, the developer owes you his work and should just read your mind to figure out what went wrong?
God bless you, moonbat :thumbup: !

Thank you, coffeebreak! Would you be so kind to follow the next steps:
  • open "about:config";
  • find a "general.useragent.locale" string;
  • post a value of this string;
  • check, if the value of "general.useragent.locale" string is differ from your native OS locale, and if so - let me know;
  • open a console (Tools -> Web Developer -> Browser Console; or just press Ctrl+Shift+J);
  • clear the console (press a button with a Trash bin image);
  • open a scratchpad (Tools -> Web Developer -> Scratchpad; or just press Shift+F4);
  • paste this code into the scratchpad:

Code: Select all

var grabDateField = new Date();
    var grabMonth = ('0' + (grabDateField.getMonth() + 1)).slice(-2);
    var grabDate = ('0' + grabDateField.getDate()).slice(-2);
    var grabSet = grabDateField.getFullYear() + '-' + grabMonth + '-' + grabDate;
    console.log(grabSet);
    alert(grabSet);

• run it (press Run button or press Ctrl+R);
  • take a pic of an alert and post it here;
  • take a pic of a console log and post it here;
  • if date will be differ from real current date - let me know this too, please.
Thank you!
Last edited by back0rifize on 2019-10-11, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-11, 00:49

I only have one word for this guy.. EX-TER-MIN-ATE

And if this was my project and this guy pulled this crap on me that is exactly what would happen at once. I am so sorry people are like this now, dude.

While I don't personally use this extension I do know many do and have done for years so thank you for doing it at any rate even if morons like this popup now and again.

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-11, 01:48

New Tobin Paradigm, thank you for your support and understanding :thumbup: !

Usually, in all cases like this, I follow another Russian proverb: don't ever argue with a dumb-ass, otherwise you will sink to his level, and he will crush you with his experience. But, this "dude" wanna talk hard, so let it be.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-11, 02:03

I must call that shit out though, it is like a compulsion of mine :P

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-10-11, 02:54

Off-topic:
back0rifize wrote:
Usually, in all cases like this, I follow another Russian proverb: don't ever argue with a dumb-ass, otherwise you will sink to his level, and he will crush you with his experience
I like this saying. I'm gonna remember it. I'm sure it won't be too long before I'll have to use it.

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-11, 03:02

Honestly, I dunno: in this thread, there is a locked topic, called "Help, my addons aren't working" - is it so hard to read it and write a post, according to those recommendations? Neh...

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-11, 10:12

back0rifize wrote:
2019-10-11, 00:41
  • open "about:config";
  • find a "general.useragent.locale" string;
  • post a value of this string;
    • check, if the value of "general.useragent.locale" string is differ from your native OS locale, and if so - let me know;
    • open a console (Tools -> Web Developer -> Browser Console; or just press Ctrl+Shift+J);
    • clear the console (press a button with a Trash bin image);
    • open a scratchpad (Tools -> Web Developer -> Scratchpad; or just press Shift+F4);
    • paste this code into the scratchpad:

var grabDateField = new Date();
      var grabMonth = ('0' + (grabDateField.getMonth() + 1)).slice(-2);
      var grabDate = ('0' + grabDateField.getDate()).slice(-2);
      var grabSet = grabDateField.getFullYear() + '-' + grabMonth + '-' + grabDate;
      console.log(grabSet);
      alert(grabSet);

• run it (press Run button or press Ctrl+R);
    • take a pic of an alert and post it here;
    • take a pic of a console log and post it here;
    • if date will be differ from real current date - let me know this too, please.
    Thank you!

The value of general.useragent.locale is the same as my native OS locale.
    general.useragent.locale.png
    After running scratchpad, the alert and browser console both showed the real current date (Oct 11, 2019):
    Alert.
    2019-10-11-calendate-alert.png

Browser console.
    2019-10-11-calendate-browser-console.png
    But I noticed that the date displayed in the status bar is still yesterday's:
    Status bar.
    2019-10-11-calendate-statusbar1.png
    Edit: Just got an alert for the first event (which was supposed to start Oct 12).

athenian200
    Contributing developer
    Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-11, 21:18

This looks really nice! I was thinking of forking ReminderFox because I use that and it's been discontinued, but I think I might give this extension a try first since it has a Pale Moon version available.
    "The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-12, 01:10

Thank you, coffeebreak! I have an interesting thing happened: I've tried to emulate this situation on my VBox, and seems to me it's alright. I mean, I've got no bugs at all :wtf: ...
    May I ask you to do:
    • repeat all previous steps, but now execute this code:

var date = new Date();
      var month = ('0' + (date.getMonth() + 1)).slice(-2);
      var day = ('0' + date.getDate()).slice(-2);
      var set = date.getFullYear() + '-' + month + '-' + day;
      date.setTime(Date.parse(set));
      var actual = date.toLocaleDateString();
      console.log(actual);
      alert(actual);
    This code sets date from universal format to your local date format. And do the pic, of course. I understand, that you don't need all this "headache", but I have noone to ask to. Thank you very much!
    coffeebreak wrote: Edit: Just got an alert for the first event (which was supposed to start Oct 12).
    Hm-m-m, interesting thing I've remember now: it was a 6 months pasts since I've been e-mailed from one German man, and he told me, that in Firefox ESR 52.7.3 (64bit), Calendate shows wrong day of the week (he had a Saturday 2019/05/18, but Calendate shows SUNDAY). Seems to me, it may be a Pale Moon bug, not mine ('cuz, AFAIK, Pale Moon is based right on Firefox ESR releases). Anyway, coffeebreak, execute the code above and give me result, please. If you don't mind, of course :roll: .

Thank you, athenian200! My extension is less complicated and not as powerful as ReminderFox is, but if you'll find Calendate useful enough, I'll be really glad :) . In future, I plan to add timers, but not in the near future, unfortunately (all my free time is spending for UE4 now).

ron_1, U R welcome; I have ma-a-any proverbs of my native folk :D .
    Last edited by back0rifize on 2019-10-12, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
    Moon Magic practitioner
    Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-12, 04:34

back0rifize wrote:
    2019-10-12, 01:10
    • repeat all previous steps, but now execute this code:

var date = new Date();
      var month = ('0' + (date.getMonth() + 1)).slice(-2);
      var day = ('0' + date.getDate()).slice(-2);
      var set = date.getFullYear() + '-' + month + '-' + day;
      date.setTime(Date.parse(set));
      var actual = date.toLocaleDateString();
      console.log(actual);
      alert(actual);
    This code sets date from universal format to your local date format. And do the pic, of course.
    I executed the 2nd code while it was still Oct 11, 2019: both the alert and browser console showed Oct 10 (so, one day earlier):
    Alert-Oct 11.
    2019-10-11-calendate-alert2.png
    Browser console-Oct 11.
    2019-10-11-calendate-browser-console2.png
    Executed it again after midnight, so the real current date was now Oct 12: the alert and browser console now showed Oct 11 (still one day earlier):
    Alert-Oct 12.
    2019-10-12-calendate-alert.png
    Browser console-Oct 12.
    2019-10-12-calendate-browser-console.png
    And on Oct 12, the status bar now displays 10/11/2019:
    Status bar-Oct.12.
    2019-10-12-calendate-statusbar.png

back0rifize

Unread post by back0rifize » 2019-10-12, 08:29

coffeebreak wrote: I executed the 2nd code while it was still Oct 11, 2019: both the alert and browser console showed Oct 10 (so, one day earlier):
    Executed it again after midnight, so the real current date was now Oct 12: the alert and browser console now showed Oct 11 (still one day earlier):
    And on Oct 12, the status bar now displays 10/11/2019:
    That is what I was thinking about! Looks like it's an in-browser's toLocaleDateString(); method bug. Besides, the German man showed me almost the same problem (his date gone forward, not back as in your case). Thank you, coffeebreak, a lot! Now I need to show this info to Moonchild, and I hope we shall (or he will) find a solution. Now, I have two more appeals to you:
    • tell me, please, do you use a x86 or x64 Pale Moon?
    • go to Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> Calendate Options -> Services -> Database backup -> Export - you'll get a "calendate.sqlite" file on your desktop; take this file and send it to me (or just attach it right in this topic)?
    Thank you, as usual :thumbup: !
    Last edited by back0rifize on 2019-10-12, 08:40, edited 3 times in total.