Load extensions to Palemoon.com with bugfixes included

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

djmbs

Load extensions to Palemoon.com with bugfixes included

Unread post by djmbs » 2019-10-10, 11:01

Hello, everybody!

Sometimes I ran across an extension that doesn't work very well on Palemoon but there are instructions on this very forum on how to modify it manually to make it work properly. I'm not really savvy with this kind of thing and it sometimes takes me a couple of hours to find the right extension + instructions and to apply an extremely basic fix.

So, why won't we load already properly fixed extensions to https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ to save the time for other dummies like me?

Here are two examples (I'm pretty sure other forum members would be able to find more):

FoxyProxy with Socks5 authentication support: viewtopic.php?t=20886
(a fix offered by y JustOff works perfectly both for Standard and Basic version)

Redirector extension adjusted for Palemoon by ketmar and Lew Rockwell Fan: viewtopic.php?t=20509

Moderator note: Edited extensions removed.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: Load extensions to Palemoon.com with bugfixes included

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-10-10, 15:31

Anyone is able to do so, via the panel: https://addons.palemoon.org/panel/

Extensions must be forked first. Anyone is able to do this, licence permitting.

djmbs

Unread post by djmbs » 2019-10-10, 23:23

Thank you!

I'm afraid I have more questions though.

As far as I understand forked extensions should contain comments in code regarding the changes.
What else does one need to do to fork an extension?

Should the extension name be totally different or does one only need to add some words at the end pointing to the nature of the fix ?
Should the extension version number change?

What should one put into the "pretty url slug" Phoebus is asking for?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-11, 00:41

You are WAY off. Search the forum.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-11, 01:09

djmbs wrote:
2019-10-10, 23:23
Thank you!

I'm afraid I have more questions though.

As far as I understand forked extensions should contain comments in code regarding the changes.
What else does one need to do to fork an extension?

Should the extension name be totally different or does one only need to add some words at the end pointing to the nature of the fix ?
Name can be anything you want. Fix information goes into the description section on the Phoebus panel.
Should the extension version number change?
Pale Moon is a different product from Firefox, so you're effectively bringing a new extension here when adding for the first time, so 1.0 would make sense.
What is important is that you change the application ID in install.rdf since again this is a new application for PM, and use PM's id in the target Application field. All this is detailed in the sticky posts in the browser extensions subforum.
What should one put into the "pretty url slug" Phoebus is asking for?
That's the short url name that you want for the extension url - i.e. what should show up in addons.palemoon.org/addons/<extension name>
Since it's part of an URL, it can't obviously have spaces. For example - addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-pdf-viewer/ - here the slug is moon-pdf-viewer.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX