The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-04, 11:38

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-10-04, 10:50
I was happy that you made it so that at first launch Interlink asks for a password unlike Thunderbird, but if I click cancel I can go right in and read emails. Maybe this should be fixed?
The "early" password prompt is to fix multiple prompts being popped up, it's not to lock the application, although we did discuss making it that way :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-04, 14:21

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-10-04, 10:50
I was happy that you made it so that at first launch Interlink asks for a password unlike Thunderbird, but if I click cancel I can go right in and read emails. Maybe this should be fixed?
Take a look at Master Password+ It's for Pale Moon only for now, but maybe you could change the application ID and try it with Interlink. It can be set to prevent access if the password is not entered, lock the browser after a time period, etc.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-04, 16:28

I dunno.. Do you want it to be able to close when you hit cancel? It will be a separate pref disabled by default. Of course, you have to understand that this is not a real security feature as anyone sitting at the console can just edit your prefs file and bypass it. It would have to be that way anyway cause you'd need a manual way to bypass it if something with the master password fucked up.

As Moonchild, indicated, early prompt for master password is just a hack to avoid race conditions.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-10-09, 18:56

Just wanted to say 'keep up the good work' to New Tobin Paradigm. I wish that I had found Interlink initially, rather than ClawsMail. ClawsMail is fine, but Interlink is vastly superior.

Additionally, Interlink's compatibility with Bamboo Feed Reader is awesome. Now I can easily check my RSS feeds whenever I am checking my e-mail! :thumbup:
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-09, 20:05

You can check RSS feeds without any extension. Also, applications aren't compatible with extensions.. Extensions are compatible with applications.
Off-topic:
I have so much contempt for the level of misconception in your post right now.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-09, 23:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-09, 20:05
Off-topic:
I have so much contempt for the level of misconception in your post right now.
He was complimenting you :roll:
Everyone starts off as a newbie at some point.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-10-10, 02:33

moonbat wrote:
2019-10-09, 23:34
Everyone starts off as a newbie at some point.
Indeed. I'm also not an extremely techie-type person, so I'm not always on point with my phrasing or descriptions of technical stuff.

In this case, though, I meant that, since the extension has been offered for a number of things (all of XUL or XUL-like base, probably), that I was glad that Interlink works with it too (or, as you said, 'it works with Interlink too'). Probably not the most accurate from a technical perspective, but I was just speaking colloquially there.

I didn't mean to irk anyone by my imprecise/inaccurate phrasing.
You can check RSS feeds without any extension.
How does one do this? I remember that screenshot of your setup that showed Pale Moon forums posts somehow. That would be neat to have.

No need to tell me if it would be too much trouble. It isn't a necessity.

---

Odd quirk that I noticed when using Bamboo Feed Reader from within Interlink (not sure if issue with Interlink, or issue with Bamboo Feed Reader)
Something else that is not a pressing concern, but is still an odd and slightly annoying... quirk (and it might not even have anything to do with Interlink itself) is that when I am looking through RSS feed stuff in Bamboo reader from within Interlink, am intending to download a podcast, and then click the podcast to play (because I can't simply save it from there as far as I can tell), and then right click the link that appears at the top

(usually, when the problem that I am going to describe doesn't happen, this happens when I do this:
Image)

sometimes, a long menu with umpty options appears (options which are not applicable to the audio file link that I am right clicking) which has a different "save" option (I can't remember exactly the phrasing that it uses) that does nothing when clicked.

I don't know what causes this, but if I clear all recent history in Interlink, then close and reopen Interlink, the problem goes away.

I don't know if this is Interlink-related or Bamboo Feed Reader-related.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-10-10, 06:08

Tharthan wrote:
2019-10-10, 02:33
You can check RSS feeds without any extension.
How does one do this?
1. Either manually: go to Menu/Edit/Account Settings/Add Account.../Blogs & News Account (and then configure its settings/subscriptions)

2. or via Pale Moon: when you land on a feed, press on the orange RSS icon in the address bar ("Subscribe to this page..."), select the appropriate RSS feed and in the "Subscribe to this feed using..." selector, choose Interlink.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-10, 06:11

Moonbat, I have delt with him directly. Please don't assume he is some poor newb who doesn't know any better.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-10, 06:17

Noticed a strange problem - when clicking 'new account' - it doesn't ask what type of account to add and straightaway assumes I want to add an NNTP account (I already have one configured). Seen this both from File->New account and clicking 'Add account' in the accounts settings window.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-10-10, 06:26

Have any of you tried using multiple accounts, for example, one gmail and one outlook?
I tried this the other day and it seems that Interlink select one setting for the outgoing server and apply it to both accounts? Can anyone try see if they can reproduce this? Try any two email accounts with different outgoing server settings
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-10-10, 06:30

fatboy wrote:
2019-10-10, 06:26
Have any of you tried using multiple accounts, for example, one gmail and one outlook?
I tried this the other day and it seems that Interlink select one setting for the outgoing server and apply it to both accounts? Can anyone try see if they can reproduce this? Try any two email accounts with different outgoing server settings
You have to create different outgoing servers for each account. In "Account Settings", you define which outgoing server is going to be used in your account's name section, the one above "Server Settings".

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-10-10, 06:34

back2themoon wrote:
2019-10-10, 06:30
You have to create different outgoing servers for each account. In "Account Settings", you define which outgoing server is going to be used in your account's name section, the one above "Server Settings".
I remember that I did and it kept on defaulting to one? I will try again and let you know. Have you managed doing this?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-10-10, 06:59

2019-10-10, 06:11
Moonbat, I have delt with him directly. Please don't assume he is some poor newb who doesn't know any better.
Off-topic:
FYI, folks: This is nothing more than a grudge on the sheriff's part. It is particularly rich for him to claim that he 'dealt with me directly' on this issue when he told me that Interlink assumes that 'one is not an idiot' (or something to that effect).

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-10-10, 07:35

fatboy wrote:
2019-10-10, 06:34
I remember that I did and it kept on defaulting to one? I will try again and let you know. Have you managed doing this?
Yes, I have and it works fine. When you create a new Mail account, it will auto-select the "Default" SMPT server which of course will be wrong. It doesn't magically detect the correct one and for some reason, there has to be a default one. You simply have to manually select the correct SMPT server (assuming you have first created it) for each new Mail account.

If you are saying that it switches back on a wrong SMPT server on its own, overriding your own setting, then that's something else which I've never seen happen. Try Safe Mode (Help/Restart with Add-ons disabled).

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2019-10-30, 20:46

In Interlink I tried to set tabs on tob with toggling "mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar" in about:config from false to true as it works in Thunderbird - but nothing changed. Is it possible to set tabs on top or get rid of the titlebar to save space on a small screen :?:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-30, 22:37

No. Try getting a larger screen, instead.

Additionally, Interlink is specifically designed to not include the bullshit Firefoxisms that Thunderbird has amassed over the past decade.

Don't like it, don't use it cause it ain't going back.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-10-30, 22:48

You could save some screen space by not using tabs. Costs less than a new screen...
tabs.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-30, 22:53

I think he needs a new screen, I think he needs several new screens.. If not, I do.

Give me more money so I can get more screens.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-30, 23:01

I had mentioned this earlier - the new account wizard isn't letting me choose the type of account and directly assumes I want to set up an NNTP server. I already have 2 mail and 2 newsgroup accounts configured.
Seen after the latest update as well.