XDG Activation

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
xykreinov

XDG Activation

Unread post by xykreinov » 2019-09-21, 15:21

For the 28.7.0 update, one of the highlighted changes is native xdg file picker support. Yet, when I attempt a download, it is still gtk. I am currently using KDE Plasma 5.16.5, for reference.
I looked all throughout the settings and could not find anything for changing the default file picker. Am I missing something?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: XDG Activation

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-09-21, 18:15

xykreinov wrote:
2019-09-21, 15:21
For the 28.7.0 update, one of the highlighted changes is native xdg file picker support. Yet, when I attempt a download, it is still gtk.
See further details here ...

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/999

... specifically the last two posts for that issue.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-21, 19:15

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-21, 19:52

To summarize, you will need several things:
  • xdg-desktop-portal-kde package
  • GTK+ 3.20 or higher
  • Environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
  • widget.allow-gtk-native-file-chooser in about:config is set to true
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

xykreinov

Unread post by xykreinov » 2019-09-22, 16:28

Isengrim wrote:
2019-09-21, 19:52
To summarize, you will need several things:
  • xdg-desktop-portal-kde package
  • GTK+ 3.20 or higher
  • Environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
  • widget.allow-gtk-native-file-chooser in about:config is set to true
Hmmm, I have assured all of this. Yet, I do not have any luck. Does the user agent mode setting matter? I'm just throwing out ideas.
For reference, screenshots showing I've completed the steps:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-09-22, 16:50

Make sure there is a space between the 1 and "palemoon".

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-23, 02:25

Are you using a custom build of Pale Moon? Pale Moon must be built with the GTK3 toolkit in order to use the XDG portal, but official builds use GTK2. (I forgot to mention that in my original post, my bad.)
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

xykreinov

Unread post by xykreinov » 2019-09-23, 20:11

Isengrim wrote:
2019-09-23, 02:25
Are you using a custom build of Pale Moon? Pale Moon must be built with the GTK3 toolkit in order to use the XDG portal, but official builds use GTK2. (I forgot to mention that in my original post, my bad.)
Ah, I'm guessing this is it. Could you please show me how to do that? I've followed the instructions to install Pale Moon from source successfully. But, I'm clueless on how to build it from source with GTK3.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-24, 00:27

There are build instructions available on the developer site, but be warned that custom builds - even just changing the GTK toolkit - are not officially supported. Meaning if something breaks, you're on your own with figuring it out, unless you can reproduce the same exact issue with an official build.

So in other words, you won't be able to use the XDG portal with Pale Moon in any officially supported capacity, unless PM gets an official GTK3 build for Linux in the future. You're welcome to try it on your own, just keep in mind the limited support for such a build.
a.k.a. Ascrod

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-26, 23:25

There are plans to add a GTK3 Linux64 build to the line up of Official "Generic" builds. But this requires infrastructure changes specifically with the Application Update Service to accommodate it. There is just a fuckton on my plate at the moment.

IF you can hold out for while, you will be able to switch to it when it gets out the door. Likely with Pale Moon 28.8.0. (might be next point release of 28.7.x but don't expressly count on it).