Palemoon icon(launcher)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Palemoon icon(launcher)

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-09-14, 22:51

I will confess, the remark from ron_1:-
That depends how proficient the OP is on Linux.
.....is extremely relevant here. Doubtless moonraker, and various other Puppy users on here will agree with me; for those of us who are 'proficient', there are a ton of different ways to get a launcher for Palemoon.

Pup uses the JWM/ROX-filer 'pinboard' combo. You can drag the executable directly to the 'pinboard' (desktop icon grid), tart it up with an icon, and there's your launcher. A recent feature in newer Puppies allows you to place a launcher in the Menu with 3-4 GUI clicks. Ditto for placing one in the 'Quick Launch' area. You can place custom launcher scripts in /root/my-applications/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin/, usr/local/bin.....reference any of these from the Menu, the Quick Launch area (or drag-to-desktop).....honestly, the list is endless.

I, personally, run a single instance of the current Palemoon from a remote, auto-mounted partition, and have custom MenuEntry packages which I simply click-to-install whenever I set-up a new Puppy.

Many, many ways to achieve the same outcome, though there's no getting away from the fact that Pup's 'run-as-root' user model makes doing so much of this kind of thing very much easier than more 'mainstream' distros.....

Mike. :)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-09-14, 23:39

Im using the wonderful xenial puppy linux and thankfully palemoon came as standard so i am not experiencing such an issue as this.
It does sound as though the OP is using the portable version and in this case i just open the PM folder and drag the palemoon gear icon to desktop and personalise the icon from there and that's it,job done.

Not sure about mint but it works fantastic on puppy. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-09-15, 00:33

Hi, moonraker. (Nice handle, by the way; reminds me of the remarkable 'Moonraker 36' power-cruiser that was so very popular back in the 70's... :lol: )
Absolutely, mate. Couldn't agree more..! :D (If you frequent Murga-Linux at all, you're doubtless aware that the 'portables' are a fairly recent development.....kicked-off by Fredx181 of 'DebianDog' fame. And followed-up by a small deluge of various easy-to-use browser installer scripts...)

Good to know there's other 'Puppy' users on here, besides Walter Dnes.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-09-15, 19:19

Mike_Walsh wrote:
2019-09-15, 00:33
Hi, moonraker. (Nice handle, by the way; reminds me of the remarkable 'Moonraker 36' power-cruiser that was so very popular back in the 70's... :lol: )
Absolutely, mate. Couldn't agree more..! :D (If you frequent Murga-Linux at all, you're doubtless aware that the 'portables' are a fairly recent development.....kicked-off by Fredx181 of 'DebianDog' fame. And followed-up by a small deluge of various easy-to-use browser installer scripts...)

Good to know there's other 'Puppy' users on here, besides Walter Dnes.

Hello mike and hope your well.Nice to see one of the grand wizards of puppyland here in this forum.! :D
I love your informative posts over at the puppy forums and they have helped tremendously.
I am a newbie in puppyworld and enjoying the ride so far,in fact the best distro i have used.!

Kind regards. :thumbup:
Incidentally i was watching a bond film as i was trying to come up with a forum name and moonraker seemed appropriate lol. :crazy:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-09-15, 21:45

Hi, moonraker.

Oh, yes; I forgot about the 'Bond connection' with that name, I must admit!

"Grand wizard of..." Eh?? (What balloon-juice have you been inhaling? I want some, too..!) :D

Well, I'm....speechless. (Is that really how folks see me? Crikey...) In all honesty, I only try to do what I can to ensure every Puppy-user enjoys using Puppy as much as I do. No more, no less. ("Grand wizard..." Hah! Gawd...) Now I'm embarrassed, y'know? :oops:

A-hem. Anyways..... Well, I mainly joined the Palemoon forum because

a) I'm now using it far more than I used to; with the age of my hardware, it's a lot more responsive than the Chromium-based browsers, which I've used ever since Chrome took off, a little over a decade ago.....and we've had our fair share of 'issues' with recent releases of PM in Puppy., so I wanted to see what was going on with it. And

b) Because I figured keeping up with developments wouldn't hurt.

My only niggle with Pale Moon is the lack of the WideVine modules, for watching DRM content like NetFlix. I have a NetFlic a/c, and I'm a huge sci-fi nut; if PM supported WideVine, it really would be my perfect browser; I'd junk Chrome & Firefox in a heartbeat, for definite.

Aside from that, however, it's ideal for Puppy.....which is no doubt why it's so popular, and why the Palemoon thread is always so busy..... :)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-16, 01:45

Mike_Walsh wrote:
2019-09-15, 21:45
My only niggle with Pale Moon is the lack of the WideVine modules, for watching DRM content like NetFlix. I have a NetFlic a/c, and I'm a huge sci-fi nut; if PM supported WideVine, it really would be my perfect browser; I'd junk Chrome & Firefox in a heartbeat, for definite.
You can use Basilisk for that, since PM won't support DRM as a matter of policy. Despite the ongoing trouble with the new version of Widevine, the current one (1.4.x) still works with Netflix though not Amazon Prime. I've temporarily installed Firefox as well only for the latter until it's resolved.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-09-16, 17:24

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-16, 01:45
Mike_Walsh wrote:
2019-09-15, 21:45
You can use Basilisk for that, since PM won't support DRM as a matter of policy. Despite the ongoing trouble with the new version of Widevine, the current one (1.4.x) still works with Netflix though not Amazon Prime. I've temporarily installed Firefox as well only for the latter until it's resolved.
'Ongoing trouble...' What 'ongoing trouble'? First I've heard of that, I'll be truthful. Clue me in, would you?

Mike. ;)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-09-16, 23:56

Mike_Walsh wrote:
2019-09-16, 17:24
'Ongoing trouble...' What 'ongoing trouble'? First I've heard of that, I'll be truthful.
Details here ...

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/962

... which is exactly what I posted in my response to your post in the Wildvine and DRM thread you started, so if you haven't bothered to read that there, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to spend extra time and effort to "clue you in" here. Yeesh.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.