a guide for setting "pale moon-Portabe" as default Browser

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
amymor
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

a guide for setting "pale moon-Portabe" as default Browser

Unread post by amymor » 2019-09-07, 16:45

hello guys :)
i finally found a way to set portable version as default browser :thumbup: . it is simple and fast. just used an app called "RegisterFirefoxPortable" from https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/regi ... s-in-vista. u must choose the "Palemoon-Portable.exe" and click "Register" . also u can "Unregister" registered "Palemoon-Portable.exe".
that's it .i heard this tool also can make other portable browser (like opera) as default.
sry for my bad eng

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: a guide for setting "pale moon-Portabe" as default Browser

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-09-07, 19:13

Doesn't that negate the whole use-case for a portable version? Wouldn't you instead be easier off by using an installed version?
Such is life.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-09-07, 21:03

JesusOfSuburbia wrote:
2019-09-07, 19:13
Doesn't that negate the whole use-case for a portable version? Wouldn't you instead be easier off by using an installed version?
I've been wondering the same.
I'd really like to know why this person can't just fully install Pale Moon instead of forcing the portable version to act like the non-portable version.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-07, 21:13

For fuck sakes. What even is this thread?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-08, 00:45

The only use case I can think of is where you're using a computer you don't have administrator rights to, say at work, and you are forced to use PM off a USB stick but also want the convenience of the full featured one. :think:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-08, 09:44

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-08, 00:45
The only use case I can think of is where you're using a computer you don't have administrator rights to, say at work, and you are forced to use PM off a USB stick but also want the convenience of the full featured one. :think:
If you want to lose your job by running unsanctioned software from a USB stick that way...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-09-08, 12:52

I would think this would have always been an option simply by (manually) associating http[s]: with "Palemoon-Portable.exe".

Doing this (which I suppose is all that that utility does) would associate http[s]: with PM (in the Windows Registry).
But there would be no /palemoon/ registry "sections" (HKCU\Software\Pale Moon\ or wherever, & for whatever limited data would be written there).
Further your Profile would be confined to \...Portable...\User\Palemoon\Profiles.

Now, you could always approximate the same (except it would write to HKCU...) without going the portable route...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-08, 13:56

No dude, this is ridiculous and the OP needs to realize it. It boggles the mind.

amymor
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by amymor » 2019-09-08, 15:53

JesusOfSuburbia wrote:
nope. because installed version save all thing in windows drive. and i do not want it.so if your OS breaked or you decided to change your OS you can easily do that without worry about backing up your data. This is the purpose of using portable versions for me.

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-09-08, 16:50

amymor wrote:
2019-09-08, 15:53
JesusOfSuburbia wrote:
nope. because installed version save all thing in windows drive. and i do not want it.so if your OS breaked or you decided to change your OS you can easily do that without worry about backing up your data. This is the purpose of using portable versions for me.
You could install Pale Moon on another partition / disk altogether, rather than on the same partition / disk you installed Windows on. And you can use the profile manager to specify another location for your profiles, too.
Such is life.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-08, 22:33

amymor wrote:
2019-09-08, 15:53
if your OS breaked or you decided to change your OS you can easily do that without worry about backing up your data.
You should back up your data regardless. Shit happens.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2019-09-15, 00:22

Well, y'know, this is what I love about Linux. The endless possibilities for customization, and setting stuff up to run, and do, exactly what you want it to do. Not what somebody else (in their perceived 'wisdom'), thinks you should do.....

We run a lot of browsers as 'portables' in the Puppy Linux community. There's 'method in the madness', as far as we're concerned. Pup's is a 'special', and very unique, use-case. Unlike other 'mainstream' distros, which perform a standard, 'full' install, Puppy uses what's known as the 'frugal' install. At boot, it initializes a 'virtual, aufs union-layered file-system' in RAM, into which it copies the contents of compressed,, read-only SFS (squash file system) packages. The OS then runs in RAM for the duration of the session. (Since the average Puppy is around 250-300 MB, packed, and around 800-900 MB, 'loaded', this is easily achievable even by elderly hardware.)

At shutdown, it will save any changes to personal configurations, system configs, customizations, etc., to what's known as a 'save-file' or 'save-folder'. (The contents of this same item are layered into the aufs file-system at boot in such a way that the user simply sees what appears to be a complete, homogenous FS like would be seen in any other distro.) Puppians are almost obsessive about keeping this item as small as possible; I'm no exception. Thus, it makes sense to run larger applications such as browsers, office-suites, stuff like that, external to 'Puppy-space'.

There's a script, which has been floating around the web for ages. It's hardly exclusive to Puppy; we simply make use of existing code, in very much the same way that most of the community does. This script will work for any Mozilla-based browser; we've used it, successfully, on Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Palemoon itself. In Firefox, we label it 'ff'; in SeaMonkey, 'smky'; in Palemoon, 'plmn'. It's even been used, with complete success, to create 'portable' versions of the Thunderbird email client, since T-Bird shares much of its code-base with the current version of Firefox.

The script itself reads as follows:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
mkdir "$LAUNCHDIR/profile" 2> /dev/null
"$LAUNCHDIR/palemoon" "$@" -profile "$LAUNCHDIR/profile"
We simply add this script to the contents of the browser directory. When run, the script creates a sub-directory, within the browser directory, called 'profile'.....then at first run of the browser, creates your profile inside that sub-directory, instead of in your 'home' directory. Second and subsequent runs of the 'launch' script will start the browser always using this 'internal' profile.

From the above, it follows that the browser directory, once so treated, can be moved/copied from one physical location to another, and, if run from a flash-drive, can be 'shared' between multiple machines. Personally, I use a single copy of Palemoon, set-up in this way, from an external, remote, auto-mounted partition on my main rig.....and started from custom Menu Entry packages, which are simply click-to-install, and pointing to this location. This way, I always have my browser, set-up the way I like it, & 'ready-to-go' regardless of physical location (I have the same item on a flash-drive, always plugged-in, and always synced with rsync at shutdown.....ready to slip in my pocket when on my travels.)

When running as many Puppies as I do (around 11 currently), this cuts down on an awful lot of unnecessary extra disk-space & 'repetition'..... :D

It's a piece of cake to set the default browser to point to the location of your 'portable' version. That's how we tackle this in Puppy.

Mike. :)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D