Palemoon icon(launcher)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jmich

Palemoon icon(launcher)

Unread post by jmich » 2019-09-04, 14:33

The PM 28.7 icon(launcher) is not being installed in the Internet Menu In Mint 19.2 Mate. The only way to launch PM is to go to your Downloads
folder and select the launcher from the PM folder. Tried the Menu Editor but when you browse for the launcher ~/jim/Downloads/palemoon/palemoon the PM launcher is grayed out, so it can't be loaded to the Internet menu.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Palemoon icon(launcher)

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-09-04, 21:41

First, where did you download PM from, the official site, or from Steve's repo? If you got it directly from PM's site, did you follow these instructions here?

jmich

Unread post by jmich » 2019-09-04, 23:44

Moon Magic, I used this site: https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-09-05, 00:10

Okay, what about the other question? Did you follow the "install" instructions here:

http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/

Off-topic:
BTW, my user name is ron_1, not Moon Magic; that's the board rankings.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-05, 05:15

You're better off using Steve's repo if using Mint. It will install the app with full path and menu icons, and get checked for updates along with apt.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-09-05, 22:15

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
You're better off using Steve's repo if using Mint. It will install the app with full path and menu icons, and get checked for updates along with apt.
That depends on how proficient the OP is on Linux.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-05, 23:38

Ubuntu and its derivatives are quite user friendly for people coming over from Windows (as is the case), besides there are clear instructions given.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-06, 08:00

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-09-05, 23:38
Ubuntu and its derivatives are quite user friendly for people coming over from Windows
I beg to differ.
The Ubuntu out-of-the-box-experience is nothing at all like Windows. I know because I installed it not too long ago to make a Linux screenshot for Basilisk.
  • You have this mixed launcher/taskbar with large icons on the left (with no clear indication what is running and what is not; a tiny orange dot at the very edge of your screen doesn't an indicator make) instead of a taskbar at the bottom.
  • The application menu for installed applications is an unsorted mess that pretty much forces you to use search instead of categorized/grouped discovery
  • The file manager is -nothing- like explorer
  • The "Ubuntu software" shortcut is like a mobile app store
  • Window frames have likewise mobile-first design with the menu under a hamburger button
  • The bar/menu at the top is more Apple than Windows, disjoining application functions from the application window. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Attachments
Ubuntu 64-bit-2019-09-06-09-35-21.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-09-06, 08:31

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-06, 08:00
Off-topic:
  • The application menu for installed applications is an unsorted mess that pretty much forces you to use search instead of categorized/grouped discovery
  • Window frames have likewise mobile-first design with the menu under a hamburger button
  • The bar/menu at the top is more Apple than Windows, disjoining application functions from the application window. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Off-topic:
In all fairness, these are caused mainly by GNOME, as in the latest version Ubuntu has switched to using it as the default desktop environment.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-06, 08:34

AND Canonical has sunk money into Gnome to make it the defacto ubuntu experience.

It is badly infected by their bullshit and as a result everyone suffers including us via GTK.

So ye, don't blame the few remaining true gnome devs because they are likely the few keeping any small bits of stability and sanity in gnome.

It was all good before Canonical stuck their filthy fucking fingers into that particular pie. Such is the legacy of everyone's favorite distro from DE to upstream debian.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-06, 10:19

Off-topic:
@Moonchild have you tried Linux Mint with Cinnamon DE? I find it much more intuitive than Ubuntu's UI. Not totally the same as Windows of course, but there's none of the pretending to be Apple crap from Canonical.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-06, 10:33

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-06, 08:00
Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-09-05, 23:38
Ubuntu and its derivatives are quite user friendly for people coming over from Windows
I beg to differ.
The Ubuntu out-of-the-box-experience is nothing at all like Windows.
I meant in comparison to regular Linux distros, not Windows. No comparison there :D
Where Linux distros are concerned, I'm quite happy with Mint - again, using Xfce and not Cinnamon. It is much closer to a traditional desktop without giant sized 'touchscreen first' UI. Then again, one finds applications written for GNOME 3, with the same idiocy of a hamburger menu instead of a normal one as perpetuated by Firefox. Also, the people behind Mint aren't fanatic about open source, so they give you the option of installing proprietary codecs and drivers (nVidia display drivers, mostly) if your system requires them. At least that makes it accessible to regular folk (in a way that doesn't apply in the case of browser DRM, that is optional in a way hardware device drivers aren't. If a Linux distro refuses to support hardware on principle because there is no open source driver available, no one but Richard Stallman fanboys will use it).

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-09-06, 10:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-06, 08:34
It was all good before Canonical stuck their filthy fucking fingers into that particular pie.
GNOME 3.x came about with much resistance from Canonical though. They made Unity a thing for a while to try to keep away from it.

Of course that fizzled out and now they push for GNOME. I'm more for KDE myself (for you Ubuntu folks there's a spin for that: Kubuntu (or KDE Neon, depending what you prefer)) but even XFCE or LXQT would be usable for me. Maybe Cinnamon too. Though I use Manjaro so not entirely sure how those DEs act on Ubuntu-based distros.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-09-06, 11:06

Ubuntu is a dreadful distro and is now full of spyware and other proprietary crap.I tend not to use any so called high end distro except perhaps for linux lite but the problem is these distros absolutely hammer the disk drive and mint is a bstd for doing it.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-06, 11:27

Moonraker wrote:
2019-09-06, 11:06
Ubuntu is a dreadful distro and is now full of spyware and other proprietary crap.I tend not to use any so called high end distro except perhaps for linux lite but the problem is these distros absolutely hammer the disk drive and mint is a bstd for doing it.
Off-topic:
A few more rational reflections on reality like this and I might even start to tollerate you :P

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-09-06, 12:02

Off-topic:
When I first saw Windows 8 on October 26th of 2012, I instinctively knew what direction Microsoft was going to and that direction was not for me. Windows 10 confirmed my instinct was spot on. So in late December of 2012, I start researching linux distros, both rolling releases and stable versions. I found out quite quickly rolling releases were not for me. The stable distros were so I tried Ubuntu, SolydXK, Linux Lite and Mint. Mint was my final and best choice.

I tried Mint in the Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce desktop environments. I found Xfce was the best desktop environment for me. I found it more customizable than either Cinnamon or Mate with more choices. As an example under "Appearance", in the "Style" tab, there are 75 choices.

Mint has two start menus too. The Whisker Menu which, to me, reminds me of the Windows 7 Start Menu. But it also comes with the old Applications Menu which reminds me of stacked menu and this is the menu I use in Mint Xfce. I don't think the old Applications Menu is listed in either Cinnamon or Mate. I could be wrong on that.

Starting with Mint 19, Mint now comes with the default Mint-Y-Theme which I do not care for, but they still have the Mint-X-Theme which I prefer because it is easy on my eyes. Mint Xfce does not hammer my hard drives (I've got 5 Mint Xfce hard drives) either.

So for me; Mint met my three main choices of "needs, wants and likes". And I've been using Mint Xfce for almost 9 years now.

BTW, since my linux Pale Moon is "not" installed, I run it from the executable file. Since Pale Moon is not installed, it does not show up in the Mint menu or in the Synaptic Package Manager. In Xfce, I've learned how to create the Pale Moon launcher icon by using either Pale Moon's Image files or Mint's Image files. And during the last 9 years of running Pale Moon this way, I've never encountered any problems use wise.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-06, 14:30

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
2019-09-06, 12:02
And during the last 9 years of running Pale Moon this way, I've never encountered any problems use wise.
Wow, that's neat -- I didn't know there was a Linux version back in 2010.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-09-06, 16:51

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-06, 14:30
Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
2019-09-06, 12:02
And during the last 9 years of running Pale Moon this way, I've never encountered any problems use wise.
Wow, that's neat -- I didn't know there was a Linux version back in 2010.
Off-topic:
Wow! So I made a typo in dates. So if you want to check everything I type, go ahead. And you can start with my next sentence.

I started with linux Firefox back in 2012 and them moved to linux Pale Moon in January of 2014 when linux Pale Moon was officially released to the public in January of 2014.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-09-06, 17:21

I for linux mint too, i have few ignorant users who like nasty sites, they are >5 years set on linux mint and very happy. No needed to do any settings beside installing Palemoon. But not ubuntu mint and only version based on debian.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-09, 13:28

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
2019-09-06, 16:51
So if you want to check everything I type, go ahead. And you can start with my next sentence.
That snark was completely unnecessary. But fine, I'll pay less attention to anything you write from now on. :silent: