Does Pale Moon support the VPN plugin?

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
brucelee

Does Pale Moon support the VPN plugin?

Unread post by brucelee » 2019-09-05, 06:43

Hello everyone, I am a Hong Kong native. For work reasons, I am going to work in Berlin next month.

In order to go to Berlin, I surveyed renting, communication, transportation, shopping, etc. in Berlin to prepare for going to Berlin.

At the same time, I am also a Netflix fan. I hope to continue to watch Netflix after I go to Germany, but I heard that Germany cannot access netflix.

In order to prevent access to Netflix in Germany, I am going to Germany to buy NordVPN, and then install the plug-in provided by NordVPN on Pale Moon. Just don't know if Pale Moon supports the NordVPN plugin. If not, then I can only change a VPN.

Are you a Netflix fan like me? How did you access Netflix?

In addition:
What do I need to pay attention to when I first go to Berlin?
What is fun in Berlin?

Thank you for your help!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Does Pale Moon support the VPN plugin?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-05, 07:10

If you use a proper VPN you won't need a plugin or extension to use it. If NordVPN requires one, then you would be better off getting a real VPN instead of a "vpn proxy"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-05, 07:51

First time I've heard of a VPN using a browser plugin :\
It's not really a VPN if it only works through the browser.
Ideally you should get one that supports the OpenVPN standard. Some of them use it at their core, but wrap some kind of 'user friendly' branded interface around it. At any rate, once the VPN adapter is active, all your network applications can use it, not just the browser.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-09-05, 15:14

Off-topic:
but I heard that Germany cannot access netflix.
I'm not sure where you got this information from - Netflix is accessible in Germany. Maybe not all shows that may be available in other countries (due to licensing), but most of it should be. Just be prepared for German overdubbing ;)
Such is life.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-09-05, 17:23

Netflix also blocks a lot of VPNs so make sure whichever one you choose is NF friendly.

person45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by person45 » 2019-09-05, 20:47

You don't need a VPN to watch Netflix in Germany. The service was opened in the year 2014 over there.

https://www.thelocal.de/20140915/netfli ... -this-week
"Users with an existing account from another country will be able to access German as well as their country's content".

http://stationedingermany.com/living-in ... in-germany
"If you do not want to deal with the hassle of a VPN, you can still use your Netflix account and watch via Netflix.de. Surprisingly, there is still a really good amount of quality content and everything filmed in English can be watched that way. You just have to change the language once you start the program."

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivit ... irefox.htm
NordVPN allows a proxy connection. You don't need to download an extra add-on.
Go to Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Network and click on the Settings button.
You can select the "Manual proxy configuration" option. This will make just Pale Moon connect to NordVPN.

https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/Setup-t ... rsions.htm
NordVPN has their own program that can make the VPN connection. This is an alternative to using Pale Moon's proxy setting. It says, "Note: you don't have to set up a proxy if you are already using NordVPN app." This works for all your programs and not just Pale Moon.

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivit ... -above.htm
Another option is to use OpenVPN. This will work to make a VPN connection for all of your programs and not just Pale Moon.

MickelC

Unread post by MickelC » 2019-09-25, 14:41

Here is a quick solution for you:
1- Netflix is not blocked on Germany, but they have their own version of Netflix
2- A VPN has nothing to do with which browser you are using. so yes every VPN will work with Palemoon.
3- If you want to access American Netflix in Germany than you need a VPN. American Netflix is the biggest and best Netflix library in which you can access everything.
I hope you will find your answer.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-09-25, 16:32

Off-topic:
Right now, there have been severe DDoS attacks to Halo CE servers and the top admins are expected to block many VPNs as a result. This could be the reason more VPNs are getting blocked today for other services.

Kargo

Unread post by Kargo » 2020-03-26, 19:24

As mentioned, Netflix is indeed available in Germany. You don't want to use the company branded VPN clients - stick with OpenVPN. Use a VPN provider that lets you switch to American Netflix and gives you the option of installing ovpn-profiles in OpenVPN. Then you have a VPN for Netflix and a stable solution.