Open local HTML file in the already open Palmoon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tuxtoo

Open local HTML file in the already open Palmoon

Unread post by tuxtoo » 2019-08-16, 08:38

Operating system: Windows 10, x64
Browser version: 28.6.1, Portable
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64
Problem URL:
Theme: Default
Installed add-ons: Classic Add-ons Archive 2.0.1, Password Exporter 1.3.4, uBlock Origin 1.16.4.11, uBlock Origin Updater 1.6.6, Web Ddeveloper 1.2 13
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) No installed plugins found

I have Palemoon Portable as my default browser, however if I have Palemoon open and I double-click on a local HTML file I would expect the HTML file to open in the already open Palemoon window, but it does not and opens the HTML file in a new Palemoon window.

How do I open local local files in the already open Palemoon window?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Open local HTML file in the already open Palmoon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-16, 08:52

tuxtoo wrote:
2019-08-16, 08:38
By not using a portable as-if it's an installed version. It's not designed for it.
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tuxtoo

Unread post by tuxtoo » 2019-08-16, 18:36

Many thanks Moonchild. I was curious because this function works okay in Firefox Portable however, I find Firefox is much slower to startup although will stick with Palemoon Portable despite this minor shortcoming. :thumbup:

amymor
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by amymor » 2019-09-03, 18:20

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-16, 08:52
tuxtoo wrote:
2019-08-16, 08:38
By not using a portable as-if it's an installed version. It's not designed for it.
pls add this ability to it in the future. that's very important. thanks :)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-09-03, 18:24

amymor wrote:
2019-09-03, 18:20
pls add this ability to it in the future. that's very important. thanks :)
Pale Moon does already have this feature. Just not in the portable version.

amymor
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by amymor » 2019-09-03, 18:32

vannilla wrote:
2019-09-03, 18:24
Pale Moon does already have this feature. Just not in the portable version.
yeah, i know. but i need it for portable version.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 19:00

amymor wrote:
2019-09-03, 18:32
yeah, i know. but i need it for portable version.
If you need this, then don't use the portable version. One of the things that makes the portable version portable is not creating any file type associations.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 20:34

I think we need to stop producing and distributing the portable stub. It seems to just confuse people.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 20:50

If we do, we have to make sure other people can still release portable versions for those that need it and actually understand that portable = portable != desktop integration.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2019-09-03, 21:40

@Fedor2 solved this easily with his Portable.patch:
There are two modes

With checkbox checked during install, you get mode, where you can simultaneously launch multiple instances of the browsers and with different profiles, but default browser feature is disabled and you cannot use file associations.

Another mode (checkbox unchecked), browser launched with one profile, you can set it as default and associate with files.
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal27old/wiki/Portable

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 21:55

Then their portable build isn't truly portable. If you remove the portable browser media, the file associations would break. It doesn't really make sense.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-09-03, 22:03

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-03, 20:34
I think we need to stop producing and distributing the portable stub. It seems to just confuse people.
Please don't do that.

If I could remember the registry hack I used in XP to make the "Send To" menu show for URls and Mail links etc. in R click menu on links, I would suggest that. I'm just getting too old to remember these things. I actually don't see a reason to associate a portable program with files. There used to be programs that would do that for portable programs but I be damned if I can remember what they were.
This was one: (no longer developed)
https://portableapps.com/node/15583
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2019-09-03, 22:06

Isengrim wrote:
2019-09-03, 21:55
Then their portable build isn't truly portable.
First mode is truly portable, second one is also truly portable if you don't make it your default browser. It's about having choices, I like that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 22:33

letmeindude wrote:
2019-09-03, 22:06
second one is also truly portable if you don't make it your default browser.
But that's exactly what people want to do.
They want a portable AND want it to be the default browser/associated application. But as observed, if you take this browser away from the system, as you would with a portable application, those associations will break because the application is no longer present on the system. that is a bad situation.

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2019-09-03, 23:14

Yes, I agree with you. The second mode should be hidden, it's only for advanced users who know what they are doing and what they shouldn't do.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-09-03, 23:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-03, 20:34
Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-03, 20:50
If we do...
Please don't stop producing the portable version.

I know it's obnoxious when some individuals don't read, don't think, and make uninformed demands.
Those individuals can get so noisy and insistant that it gives the feeling that their behavior represents "everyone", but really it doesn't. It's just a noisy handful of users. I hope that you won't base decisions that affect all of us on those individuals' behavior.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-04, 01:22

Anything Fedor2 produces is suspect and almost certainly has compromising issues at a fundamental level. You would be wise to stay the hell away from whatever he or his almost-carbon-copy friend roytam1 are up to.

amymor
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by amymor » 2019-09-07, 16:28

Moonchild wrote:
2019-09-03, 22:33
But that's exactly what people want to do.
They want a portable AND want it to be the default browser/associated application. But as observed, if you take this browser away from the system, as you would with a portable application, those associations will break because the application is no longer present on the system. that is a bad situation.
You can add this feature optionally and let us choose which feature is on or off. some people want the portable browser to be default browser. also the associations cant break system because there is "default programs" in control panel and u can easily reset all.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-08, 00:59

amymor wrote:
2019-09-07, 16:28
You can add this feature optionally and let us choose which feature is on or off. some people want the portable browser to be default browser. also the associations cant break system because there is "default programs" in control panel and u can easily reset all.
Portable applications whole purpose of existence is to avoid changing operating system settings, so you can just run them off a USB stick, and nothing breaks when they're removed. If you're going to use Palemoon all the time, just install the damn thing already.
Lastly, you can just use the Windows 10 settings for file associations and manually set palemoon as the program for opening .html files.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX