Video content randomly freezing and stopping with Jack

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tom__

Video content randomly freezing and stopping with Jack

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-02-25, 02:16

Video content content appears to randomly start slowing down then completely stopping to a pause when using Jack Audio Subsystem. This happens consistently. I talked to a friend who knows a lot about programming with Linux audio subsystems and he said it's most likely an issue with how the program handles buffering. A lot of programs do no implement this correctly and fail like this when Jack is using an uncommon buffer size, such as used in high latency audio production setups.

Has anyone else experienced this, and also does anyone know a fix for this?
Thanks

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Video content randomly freezing and stopping with Jack

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2019-05-13, 17:40

This may be irrelevant. For one thing, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "consistently". But, FWIW, I have similar issues with Pulse. But NOT consistently. I've always assumed the problem was either at the source or in the connection in between (like maybe a bandwidth issue) because a video on another page will play just fine. I might come back to the problem page the next day & it will work fine.

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-07-26, 02:33

What I meant by consistently is that it is reproducible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-26, 08:51

You may want to create an issue on our GitHub tracker with the exact environment you're working in and steps to reproduce, so we can put it on our backlog for things to look at. Unfortunately our de facto media component owner (Travis) currently has very little time to work on UXP and priority there is to get EME updated to Google's new API. But at least it will be known and others may be able to look at it too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-09-02, 05:36

Unfortunately I do not have any Microsoft accounts so I am not able to do that, however the steps to reproduce are pretty simple. Just launch Pale Moon on a Linux machine with Jack Audio Connection Kit audio subsystem. Then go to youtube.com or invidio.us and play videos until pressing play no longer works. It will buffer but refuse to play.

Also, I thought EME support was going to be dropped is it not?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-02, 08:00

we can't do anything with a 1-sentence description.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-09-02, 08:16

I'll provide a back-trace as well as some logs if I encounter it again.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2019-09-02, 09:07

Just an FYI... I use Jack exclusively (music production) and watch a lot of Youtube videos and don't have any problems. ALSA only, no pulse (never used it).
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-02, 09:40

tom__ wrote:
2019-09-02, 05:36
Unfortunately I do not have any Microsoft accounts so I am not able to do that
You don't need a Microsoft account. I created mine fairly recently, i.e. within the last few months post the Microsoft takeover, and it is a separate Github account.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-02, 11:37

EME is not going to be dropped from Basilisk at this time no. It is, however, broken at the CDM level currently as the targeted version of Google Widevine has expired. It does remain a development consern though and hopefully will be resolved sooner or later.

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-10-27, 04:02

(gdb) run
Starting program: /opt/palemoon/palemoon
warning: File "/lib64/libthread_db-1.0.so" auto-loading has been declined by your `auto-load safe-path' set to "$debugdir:$datadir/auto-load".
warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available.
[Detaching after fork from child process 18856]
[New LWP 18857]
[New LWP 18858]
[LWP 18858 exited]
[...]
[LWP 28245 exited]
[LWP 28198 exited]
[New LWP 29275]
[New LWP 29276]
[LWP 29275 exited]
[LWP 29276 exited]
[New LWP 29645]

Thread 5 "Socket Thread" received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
[Switching to LWP 18860]
0x00007ffff7f5c77f in send () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00007ffff7f5c77f in send () at /lib64/libpthread.so.0
(gdb) bt full
#0 0x00007ffff7f5c77f in send () at /lib64/libpthread.so.0

I know this isn't much but does this mean anything to you? Probably a problem on my end? maybe I should recompile libpthread.

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-10-27, 04:17

Actually give me one second. attempting to trigger bug again with gdb set auto-load safe-path $debugdir:$datadir/auto-load:/lib64/

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-27, 04:53

Okay, gotta stop you there.. 1. We don't officially support Jack as an audio subsystem. We only support pulseaudio on the Linux. 2. We cannot support yours or anyone's build we did not produce. and C. Even if this was a build I produced, I specifically disabled debugging symbols because until Travis returned, if he returned.. I couldn't do anything with them even if I wanted to.

So I would say.. You are on your own.

steffan28

Unread post by steffan28 » 2019-11-19, 08:37

Hello there,
moonbat wrote:
2019-09-02, 09:40
tom__ wrote:
2019-09-02, 05:36
Unfortunately I do not have any Microsoft accounts so I am not able to do that
You don't need a Microsoft account. I created mine fairly recently, i.e. within the last few months post the Microsoft takeover, and it is a separate Github account.
Thank you so much but I already Microsoft account open so no problem for that but can you say that github account it's required yes either no so please tell us after that create this account and use this.

tom__

Unread post by tom__ » 2019-12-17, 06:45

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-27, 04:53
Okay, gotta stop you there.. 1. We don't officially support Jack as an audio subsystem. We only support pulseaudio on the Linux. 2. We cannot support yours or anyone's build we did not produce. and C. Even if this was a build I produced, I specifically disabled debugging symbols because until Travis returned, if he returned.. I couldn't do anything with them even if I wanted to.

So I would say.. You are on your own.
Understood, I'll take a look at the way UXP does threading on my own and post back here if I find anything significant. Preferably under a more general UXP thread than the palemoon one. I think I've come across similar issues relating to JackAudio implementation in other media programs as well. It usually has something to do with improper thread locking. And judging that gdb is telling me libpthread (POSIX threading library) is the problem I assume I'm not far off.

If there is a better forum for this like a more UXP specific rather than Palemoon specific forum you can recommend instead I'd appreciate it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-12-17, 06:56

tom__ wrote:
2019-12-17, 06:45
If there is a better forum for this like a more UXP specific rather than Palemoon specific forum you can recommend instead I'd appreciate it.
You can use the dedicated UXP sub-forum for this.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-17, 06:59

It would be redundant for this issue. The same answers still apply.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-17, 09:18

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-12-17, 06:59
It would be redundant for this issue. The same answers still apply.
That being said, if there is a concrete issue that has a solution to consider (e.g. adding mutexes or what not) then that can of course be discussed. The UXP dev board would indeed be the right place to do so.