cookie exceptions vanish

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
arzach

cookie exceptions vanish

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-28, 19:52

Every time I close and then reopen Pale Moon my cookie exception list is gone. EVERY time. Nothing persists. I'm using 28.6.1 on a freshly installed PCLinuxos, no extensions/addons. Any suggestions?

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: cookie exceptions vanish

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-08-28, 20:42

Did you happen to configure Pale Moon to delete (all) browsing data upon exiting it? That would also delete cookie exceptions, depending on your settings.
Have you tried it with a 'clean' profile, where you didn't adjust anything but the cookie exceptions, as well?
Such is life.

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-29, 13:32

In Settings for Clearing History all 9 options are selected. I can't tell which one is 'Delete all browsing data'...none have that name.

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-29, 13:44

update: on another machine running 28.6.1 I have the same behavior. On this machine the Settings For Clearing History has all of the History options checked and none of the data options. So...if this is where the problem is, it must be one of the History options. However, they all seem to be stuff that I want deleted! But I don't want to have to replace my cookie exceptions every time I open PM :(

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-08-29, 14:00

arzach wrote:
2019-08-29, 13:44
update: on another machine running 28.6.1 I have the same behavior. On this machine the Settings For Clearing History has all of the History options checked and none of the data options. So...if this is where the problem is, it must be one of the History options. However, they all seem to be stuff that I want deleted! But I don't want to have to replace my cookie exceptions every time I open PM :(
Did you enable the option to delete all data on exit under Privacy --> Clear history when Pale Moon closes? I believe the cookie exceptions get cleared out with the cookies - but I'm not sure to be honest. It shouldn't delete anything upon exiting the browser 'by itself', unless you tell it to do so.
Such is life.

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-29, 15:29

JesusOfSuburbia wrote:
2019-08-29, 14:00
arzach wrote:
2019-08-29, 13:44
Did you enable the option to delete all data on exit under Privacy --> Clear history when Pale Moon closes? I believe the cookie exceptions get cleared out with the cookies - but I'm not sure to be honest. It shouldn't delete anything upon exiting the browser 'by itself', unless you tell it to do so.
Yes. In the past that has only deleted cookies and browser history, not cookie exceptions.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-29, 15:51

If you tell the browser "not to remember history" then you are in what is called "permanent private browsing mode". This will toss -everything- out at the end of your session.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-29, 19:18

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-29, 15:51
If you tell the browser "not to remember history" then you are in what is called "permanent private browsing mode". This will toss -everything- out at the end of your session.
Then is there a way to clear browsing history without wiping the cookie exceptions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-29, 20:29

Yes,

Make sure to set up the browser as follows:
Set it up to remember history first to reset the settings to default.
Then set it to "custom settings" which will provide more options.
You probably want to set "Keep until" under cookies and site data to "until I close Pale Moon" to clear any session cookies.
You then want to check "clear history when Pale Moon closes" and click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens then, you probably want to only check "browsing and download history". Other items might be considered if you specifically don't want other types of data to be remembered.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

arzach

Unread post by arzach » 2019-08-30, 03:40

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-29, 20:29
Yes,

Make sure to set up the browser as follows:
Set it up to remember history first to reset the settings to default.
Then set it to "custom settings" which will provide more options.
You probably want to set "Keep until" under cookies and site data to "until I close Pale Moon" to clear any session cookies.
You then want to check "clear history when Pale Moon closes" and click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens then, you probably want to only check "browsing and download history". Other items might be considered if you specifically don't want other types of data to be remembered.
Thanks. This gave me exactly the setup I was using, which nuked my exceptions. BUT, I then incrementally (tediously) worked thru setting stuff in the Settings menu. Site Preferences appears to be the offender. I can live with that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-30, 08:59

Ehh yeah if you clear site preferences on shutdown it will also clear site cookie exceptions. That is entirely expected. I did imply that you should only check those items I indicated, not anything else -- sorry if that wasn't clear.