Odd right-click behavior with links

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
MoonPie

Odd right-click behavior with links

Unread post by MoonPie » 2019-08-20, 01:30

Using version 28.6.1 - 32-bit in Puppy Linux 7.5 (Xenial Xerus)

Normally, when I right-click a link, I expect to get the standard drop-down list: Open link in New Tab, New Window, New Private Window, etc.

If I go to Walmart.com, everything works normally. Right-click, the list appears and waits for me to choose.

However, since I'm up here in Canada, eh... I go to Walmart.ca
I get some items up, right-click on one of them and....
- The drop-down list appears.
- The potential item instantly starts loading in the *current* tab without me choosing any option.
- The list is still showing, the mouse can highlight a selection, but nothing can be clicked.
- Once the item has loaded (at least partially) in the current tab, *then* I can click on an option, but most of them just close the list without actually doing anything.
- If I right-click and *instantly* pick an option (within 1/20th of a second or so), I can usually get it to "Open link in New Tab". Sadly, the item also still loads in the *current* tab, so now I have 2 tabs with the same item, and have to go back a page to get my previous list of items. Rather irritating.

Not sure if it's a Pale Moon bug, or some freaky coding on the Walmart.ca site, considering how many errors the WC3 HTML validator finds on so many web pages.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Odd right-click behavior with links

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-20, 10:34

https://www.walmart.ca/search/aspirin

Confirmed the issue.
Also happens in SeaMonkey.

Works as expected in FF Quantum.

Not sure what the issue is?
Spoofing the UA did not help.

(I'm sure I've been to other odd sites where I've seen similar. At the time, I've always taken it to be an "anti-tab" measure, which in some cases it may have been, but thinking about it more, seems like website coding incompatibility issue.)

(You've got expensive drugs up there. At least you don't have the generic [Equate] aspirin that I just bought down here; 325 mg 500 count, $3.24 USD. [Bayer would certainly be higher.] You might just have to cross the boarder to get some of our 'el cheapo drugs ;-).)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-20, 10:49

Ctrl+Click will open in a new tab. Websites intercepting context clicks will not be able to interrupt you that way.
It does, however, not guarantee that your current tab won't -also- go to the new page. That's just how these sites work as they want you to do one thing at a time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rereser
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by rereser » 2019-08-23, 08:54

tested the walmart ca site on windows.
blocking the script from adobedtm.com will stop this.
don't know how to do that on linux.
more info about adobedtm.
https://better.fyi/trackers/adobedtm.com/

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-23, 11:57

That's it :-).

(Other then a script blocker) looks like an adblocker (uBlock Origin, or whatever) is going to pick up adobetm.com, so that would also handle it.

(Sometimes you need to test in a clean Profile.
Sometimes you need to test in a dirty Profile to see why you don't see an issue seen in the clean Profile.)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-08-27, 20:45

therube wrote:
2019-08-23, 11:57
looks like an adblocker (uBlock Origin, or whatever) is going to pick up adobetm.com, so that would also handle it.
Not necessarely.
The script is actually whitelisted in 'EasyPrivacy', by the following rule (most likely to avoid breakage elsewhere):

Code: Select all

@@||adobedtm.com/launch-$script
To override that whitelisting @ walmart.ca, you can add this rule to your own list:

||adobedtm.com/launch-$script,important,domain=walmart.ca
--

This should take care of their cookie bar annoyance too (needs to be tested for potential breakage):

walmart.ca#?#div[class^="css-"]:-abp-contains(We use cookies)