captchas, captchas everywhere

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-30, 18:03

So complain again. and if they still don't care, stop going there?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-30, 19:25

I actually have a question for folks with the opposite scenario.

PCPartPicker recently implemented Google Captcha as part of their login process, but I've only ever had to answer one or two challenges with it, as opposed to many, many more on other sites. I haven't changed my interactions with Google in any conscious way, e.g. I don't stay signed in to anything and routinely block their scripts except in the case of things like Captcha.

Has anyone else seen this with PCPartPicker or other sites? Or is it Just Me™?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-07-30, 21:05

New default profile, no difference.
2019056.jpg
ImageImage

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-07-30, 21:30

Wow even googling a phone number get a captcha on whitepages.
Searching too fast? Its the first time I've used whitepages in months.
2019059.jpg
ImageImage

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-30, 22:15

cartel wrote:
2019-07-30, 21:30

2019059.jpg
Using a VPN or proxy? then that would be the cause.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2019-07-31, 11:30

Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-30, 19:25
I actually have a question for folks with the opposite scenario.

PCPartPicker recently implemented Google Captcha as part of their login process, but I've only ever had to answer one or two challenges with it, as opposed to many, many more on other sites. I haven't changed my interactions with Google in any conscious way, e.g. I don't stay signed in to anything and routinely block their scripts except in the case of things like Captcha.

Has anyone else seen this with PCPartPicker or other sites? Or is it Just Me™?
I also use PCpartpicker and have no problems logging in , I get the one captcha that you click once (I am not a robot) and get the green check mark. and I'm in, no problem for me there at least.
I did have the multiple captchas problem @ Amazon and one of their "alternate" stores, and just 86'd that page, but that was the only time I have ran into it.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-31, 12:32

Kathuluforz wrote:
2019-07-31, 11:30
I also use PCpartpicker and have no problems logging in , I get the one captcha that you click once (I am not a robot) and get the green check mark. and I'm in, no problem for me there at least.
Intersting. I wonder why PCPP's captchas are so much easier to deal with. Maybe there's an intensity setting or something the webmaster can configure for it? I wish captcha was like this everywhere.

Thanks for confirming.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-07-31, 21:40

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-30, 22:15
cartel wrote:
2019-07-30, 21:30

2019059.jpg
Using a VPN or proxy? then that would be the cause.
no vpn.
here are the errors I get:

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “https:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “http:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “https:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “http:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified
Strictdynamic false:

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Couldn’t parse invalid host 'strict-dynamic'
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src or style-src: nonce-source or hash-source specified
Content Security Policy: Couldn’t parse invalid host 'strict-dynamic'
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src or style-src: nonce-source or hash-source specified
ImageImage

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-08-07, 07:41

RJARRRPCGP wrote:
2019-06-19, 00:15
Sounds like the issue I have with Discord
Off-topic:
Why are you using Discord?
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-06-19, 11:45
I guess we all just need to complain and complain....and complain. Because this [...] won't get fixed until enough PM users say
Hang on. Who says that Google will listen? I think that they would probably think "Oh? We're bothering users of our archnemesis' browser? Great!"
Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-31, 12:32
Maybe there's an intensity setting or something the webmaster can configure for it?
Now I'm imagining some reCAPTCHA that requires one to complete some mini dungeon crawler or something in order to pass. :lol:
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-07, 09:39

Tharthan wrote:
2019-08-07, 07:41
Now I'm imagining some reCAPTCHA that requires one to complete some mini dungeon crawler or something in order to pass. :lol:
There are captcha systems out there that are visual, actually, like providing a simple "move x to y" or "adjust the slider to make the picture undistorted". Easy to solve by humans, very hard or (near) impossible for bots.

BlakeyRat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by BlakeyRat » 2019-08-07, 19:36

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-18, 12:43
BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-06-18, 03:00
The one that is a real pain in the butt is NewEgg
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-06-18, 07:15
Yeah, for me Newegg is a real bitch.
Complain to NewEgg? If they want to keep you as a customer, they really should do something about it
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're joking, right?

Let me tell you, I have complained to several companies about their stupid fucking Captcha bullshit. And you know what happens? Nothing. I get the same exact answer every time:

We can't get rid of the Captchas, it's an important security feature to protect us from bots and hackers.

When I explain that I am not a bot or a hacker, I am just a person trying to log into my account --- they don't care. I cancelled one of my credit cards because I couldn't get past the Captchas and log in to my account. They didn't care.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-07, 21:04

About a CAPTCHA test at Google search=It seems more likely to occur with Comcast than an indie ISP. I have been wondering if it's because of Comcast having extraneous connections. If that wasn't the "VPN Filter"malware! :silent:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-07, 22:32

BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-08-07, 19:36
We can't get rid of the Captchas, it's an important security feature to protect us from bots and hackers.
Captchas aren't the only ways to protect yourself from bots. Captchas also don't protect against hackers because hackers are human and can solve captchas.
...and reCaptcha isn't the only captcha system out there. Many alternatives are better at thwarting non-legitimate users than Google's captcha system WITHOUT biasing site access heavily towards Chrome.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-08, 00:15

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-07, 22:32
Many alternatives are better at thwarting non-legitimate users than Google's captcha system WITHOUT biasing site access heavily towards Chrome.
Off-topic:
Are there any alternatives that you could/would recommend to web developers? I know of a handful, but I'm not sure if they're still in development.
a.k.a. Ascrod

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-08, 03:11

BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-08-07, 19:36
Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-18, 12:43
BlakeyRat wrote:
2019-06-18, 03:00
The one that is a real pain in the butt is NewEgg
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-06-18, 07:15
Yeah, for me Newegg is a real bitch.
Complain to NewEgg? If they want to keep you as a customer, they really should do something about it
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're joking, right?

Let me tell you, I have complained to several companies about their stupid fucking Captcha bullshit. And you know what happens? Nothing. I get the same exact answer every time:

When I explain that I am not a bot or a hacker, I am just a person trying to log into my account --- they don't care. I cancelled one of my credit cards because I couldn't get past the Captchas and log in to my account. They didn't care.
You should have told them the truth in that Google discriminates with other browsers that aren't Firefox of Chrome and that they should at least look into a different captcha system rather than be a poor website Admin and use the soup du jour Recaptcha shit.

It seems like everyone and their great uncle who can throw up a WordPress site or what ever are using Recaptcha because Google has the masses by the balls.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-08, 03:13

When I'm met with a Recaptcha I just copy the link and open in my FF install. It's a major bitch to solve in PM. Like ten damn times if you can solve it at all. Ain't nobody got time for that.

If we knew the inner workings of Recaptcha, then we can try and spoof it to make it think we are using FF or Chrome. Isn't Recpatcha code at Github, or is that propitiatory?

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-14, 00:32

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-08, 03:13
When I'm met with a Recaptcha I just copy the link and open in my FF install. It's a major bitch to solve in PM. Like ten damn times if you can solve it at all.
Sounds just like the stuff I got in Pale Moon 27.x.x, at least before the very-late versions of 27x, before 28x was finally released. But I thought that even with one of the last 27x versions, I saw ReCAPTCHA go straight to a green check.
I definitely saw ReCAPTCHA go straight to a green check with 28x before!

And, heads up, it looks like Discord has the ReCAPTCHA settings real high!

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-14, 05:51

I don't use Discord. I find that platform asinine IMO. I roll my own communication platform with a Team Speak server using encryption. I can talk to my friend some 10,000 miles away in Perth via encrypted P2P using my smartphone with the Team Viewer App and my Bluetooth earpiece and it sounds like he's right here on a normal phone call. Pretty damn amazing.

For everything else I use Wire. But like Telegarm and Signal, Wire has had it's down falls. I don't trust something I have no control over so I roll my own in my own governance, i.e at home.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-08-18, 13:06

I'm using Discord, because my buddies ditched Skype and considers Discord "the new Skype".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-18, 15:49

Off-topic:
And people still continue ignoring XMPP as both a "roll-your-own" and federated, or use someone's server, option. :) It's actually kind of amusing.