Is there a control for keyboard shortcut overriding?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Is there a control for keyboard shortcut overriding?

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2019-07-30, 20:42

Hello,

I am wondering if there's a control for toggling keyboard shortcut hijacking of web pages?

An example would be with Microsoft Outlook Web App. If I press CTRL+R to refresh the inbox webpage, the keyboard shortcuts are overridden by the site and remapped to open a Reply window.

Thank-you
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Lew Rockwell Fan

Re: Is there a control for keyboard shortcut overriding?

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2019-08-15, 19:18

If this weren't old I"d leave it for somebody who knew what they were talking about, but since it is, 2 things you might try:
- Turn off javascript and see if that helps. If it does, there are all sorts of extensions that will let you selectively turn off scripts. They're all a bit hard to use. NoScript seems the easiest to me. Something like μBlock or its fork Ad Nauseum is probably more flexible, but they're bears to learn.
- I get good use out of Menu Wizard in changing keybindings but I don't know if it would work for this purpose.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-16, 07:16

EMH_Mark_I wrote:
2019-07-30, 20:42
I am wondering if there's a control for toggling keyboard shortcut hijacking of web pages?
There isn't, because this is and has been important functionality for many web applications. This will be in the hands of the web application programmers and be site-specific, if so.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2019-08-17, 04:58

Oh well, that's fine. I had recently found a similar feature in some other web browsers and didn't realize it was ever a thing until then. Thanks for the follow up!
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-08-17, 06:54

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2019-10-28, 23:24

Good advice
I should have thought to mention those. Those are easy to use. They don't have the fine grained control that μBlock or Ad Nauseum do, but they won't have you pulling out your hair trying to figure them out.