Prompt before closing multiple tabs?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Prompt before closing multiple tabs?

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-14, 09:51

Is there a setting or about:config property for this? I'm not using Tab Mix Plus or any similar extension.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

yami_

Re: Prompt before closing multiple tabs?

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-08-14, 09:58

Did you try this:
fig. 1
fig. 1

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2019-08-14, 10:42

Or if we're speaking about Basilisk (the thread is in that subforum), Preferences -> General -> Tabs -> Checkbox
Attachments
basilisk_multiple_warning.png

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-14, 11:13

Potkeny wrote:
2019-08-14, 10:42
Or if we're speaking about Basilisk (the thread is in that subforum), Preferences -> General -> Tabs -> Checkbox
Trouble is there's no such option in my Basilisk:
Preferences - Basilisk_002.png
Using the latest 2019-06-08 build, on Linux Mint 19.2.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-08-14, 12:31

Try setting browser.tabs.warnOnClose to true.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-14, 19:23

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-14, 11:13
there's no such option in my Basilisk
You probably already have that preference set to true, which is the default.

Basilisk inherited Firefox's behavior of only displaying certain of the tab preferences in the front-facing UI when their values are no longer default. If you were to change that particular preference or a few others, they would show up in Preferences after a restart. And if changed back to default they would again disappear (after a restart).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-15, 00:19

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-14, 19:23
Basilisk inherited Firefox's behavior of only displaying certain of the tab preferences in the front-facing UI when their values are no longer default. If you were to change that particular preference or a few others, they would show up in Preferences after a restart. And if changed back to default they would again disappear (after a restart).
How weird :shock:
They did this on purpose? The more I learn about post 2015 Firefox the more batshit it seems. I thought about:config like the Windows registry was not meant for ordinary users to mess around with as per Mozilla's own principles, given that they display a warning page the first time one accesses it!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-15, 03:02

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-15, 00:19
They did this on purpose? [...] I thought about:config like the Windows registry was not meant for ordinary users to mess around with [...]
It seems designed to discourage people from changing these preferences from the default, given that once they are changed the preferences become easy to discover.

I don't know why Mozilla chose this approach, but suppose that emulating Chrome figures in somehow, because AFAIK Chrome doesn't have tab preferences (I haven't ever installed actual Chrome, only certain chromium forks).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-15, 03:34

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-14, 19:23
You probably already have that preference set to true, which is the default.
In which case why doesn't Basilisk obey that preference and prompt me on closing multiple tabs?
coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-15, 03:02
It seems designed to discourage people from changing these preferences from the default, given that once they are changed the preferences become easy to discover.
I don't know why Mozilla chose this approach, but suppose that emulating Chrome figures in somehow, because AFAIK Chrome doesn't have tab preferences (I haven't ever installed actual Chrome, only certain chromium forks).
At this point they may as well save themselves and their users a lot of trouble by retiring Gecko in favor of Chromium for rendering, the way Microsoft did with Edge after seeing the writing on the wall. Lord knows they've copied every other anti-feature from Chrome already.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-15, 05:45

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2019-08-15, 03:34
At this point they may as well save themselves and their users a lot of trouble by retiring Gecko in favor of Chromium for rendering,
What happens in the UI has nothing to do with what rendering engine is being used.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-15, 06:36

Moonchild wrote:
2019-08-15, 05:45
What happens in the UI has nothing to do with what rendering engine is being used.[/offtopic]
Agreed, but if you're going to copy everything else from Chrom(e|ium) by ripping out usability and features that you (once) did better, might as well admit to being a poor clone and go all the way.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-15, 08:49

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-15, 03:34
In which case why doesn't Basilisk obey that preference and prompt me on closing multiple tabs?
It works as expected for me.

Edit: see this post below.
Does it fail to work when you just close one window (with multiple tabs) but leave the browser open?
Or does it fail to work when quitting the browser?

For the latter, set browser.showQuitWarning to true - and
Be aware that it won't show a warning if your startup preference is "Show my windows and tabs from last time" because with that setting your tabs would be saved anyway without further input from you.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2019-08-15, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-15, 10:44

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-15, 08:49

Does it fail to work when you just close one window (with multiple tabs) but leave the browser open?
Or does it fail to work when quitting the browser?

For the latter, set browser.showQuitWarning to true - and be aware that it won't show a warning if your startup preference is "Show my windows and tabs from last time" because with that setting your tabs would be saved anyway without further input from you.
Tried this, doesn't work (Test - I open the browser that had 3 tabs open when I closed it, and make sure to reload each tab before clicking the window close again. Also tested by using File-Quit in case there's different behavior). I want to guard against accidentally closing the whole browser, the way it works in PM. I do have 'show tabs from last time' and I don't use multiple windows. Another point, I noticed that the option has vanished again from the preferences tab after a restart.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-15, 11:54

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-15, 10:44
I do have 'show tabs from last time' and I don't use multiple windows.
That is why it doesn't work.
As said above, the browser won't show a warning on exit if your startup option is to "show tabs from last time."
coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-15, 08:49
[...] and be aware that it won't show a warning if your startup preference is "Show my windows and tabs from last time" because with that setting your tabs would be saved anyway without further input from you.

If you use one of the other startup options it will show a warning when you quit.
bsk-quitWarning.png
AFAIU the purpose of the quit warning is to give the user an opportunity to save tabs prior to quitting, not to protect against all possibility of accidental exits.

This behavior is the same in Basilisk and Pale Moon.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-15, 12:20

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-15, 11:54
This behavior is the same in Basilisk and Pale Moon.
Nope. PM has an explicit 'Warn me when closing multiple tabs' option. Nothing to do with remembering sessions. Like I said, dumbing down with later releases. Not Basilisk's fault since it's based off Firefox code, but would be nice if this was fixed.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-15, 14:35

moonbat wrote:
2019-08-15, 12:20
PM has an explicit 'Warn me when closing multiple tabs' option.
You're referring to the checkbox in Preferences. That checkbox simultaneously toggles two settings in about:config :
browser.tabs.warnOnClose
browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs

The same two settings exist in Basilisk, it's just that they can only be changed via about:config. They are set to true by default (warnings are on) in both browsers. And AFAICS the effect of the settings is the same in both browsers.
(For the purpose of this thread, it's the first of those settings that matters.)

I normally turn these warnings off, so what I've seen is from playing around with them just now with fresh profiles, but with that said, here is what I see in both Basilisk and Pale Moon...

One.
With all these "warnings" settings at default (so: browser.tabs.warnOnClose = true; browser.showQuitWarning = false), both browsers show a "close warning", with just one window open, provided that: 1) the window is closed with the "x" in the top R corner; and 2) the browsers are NOT set to "Show windows and tabs from last time". (Neither browser shows a "close warning" if you "close the window" with the Exit command.)
Settings in both Basilisk and Pale Moon.
close-warn-quit.png

Basilisk "close warning".
bsk-closeWarn.png

Pale Moon "close warning".
pm-closeWarn.png
Two.
If browser.showQuitWarning is changed to true, the "quit warning" replaces the "close warning" and it is shown for both browsers, no matter whether you click the "x" or use the Exit command. But for both browsers, it is only shown if the startup setting is NOT to "Show windows and tabs from last time."
Settings in both Basilisk and Pale Moon.
warn-close-quit.png

Basilisk "quit warning".
bsk-quitWarning.png

Pale Moon "quit warning".
pm-quitWarning.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-08-16, 00:46

Again with this bullshit. How many threads? HOW MANY?! Regardless of exposed gui toggles the behavior of the preferences and functionality has not changed in a decade or longer.

There is nothing to fix. Everything works as intended, as it always has. As for re-exposing the gui options in Basilisk.. Ask Moonchild if he would accept a pull request and if so then do it. Otherwise, stop.

In any event, I don't want to see this come up again. The next time will be the LAST time. I assure you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-16, 07:01

Sounds like a plan.
Re-exposing the GUI options would be "nice to have" so if anyone creates a PR for it it'll likely be accepted.

As for the base functionality: it all works as-intended and won't be changed. It caters to many different variations on a theme in the most balanced way possible, has been for years, and any change to it will have nothing but negatives at this point so won't be considered.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite