The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

Unread post by cartel » 2019-08-11, 14:31

satrow EDIT: Link removed, reported attack page.
2019004.jpg

Warning, likely attack/malware:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 8/11/2019 7:30:19 AM
Warning: Media resource https://www105.z.co_m/downloadM4V?key=B6hhak4v&res=ORG&time=352881 could not be decoded.
Source File: https://www105.z.co_m/v/B6hhak4v/file.html
Line: 0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-08-11, 15:44

Are you blocking anything?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-11, 16:11

"could not be decoded" i.e.: the media format is not recognized/supported.
Keep in mind this is not a dedicated media player and only common formats are supported.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-08-11, 16:28

Those type of error messages can't be trusted.
I've seen similar warnings before, which turned out to be adblock or UA related.
E.g. at GameReactor:
https://github.com/easylist/easylist/issues/3600/

However, in this case, I can confirm that the problem is not related to adblocking, nor does it seem to be caused by UA sniffing (I tried several overrides).
Toggling the MSE settings doesn't help either.
Also, the problem persists in the latest unstable (Pale Moon v28.7.0a1,x64 [2019-08-09]).

Personally, I don't like those type of streaming alternatives at file sharing sites though, which is liable to use dubious methods for tracking and spying, and might even use modified codecs that helps them to achieve those goals.
This might also be the reason why Pale Moon is unable to play the video (like pointed out by Moonchild).

I ended up blocking the damn thing all together!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-11, 17:02

Will confirm everything Tomaso said.
Console showed this:

Code: Select all

Error: TypeError: 'getElementsByTagName' called on an object that does not implement interface Element.
Source File: https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/B6hhak4v/file.html 
Line: 426
But strangely, the video played effortlessly for me in PM 28.1.0 (I happened to have a portable copy open): adblocker active and blocking heavily; using Native mode. It was set up pretty much the same as 28.6.1.

So I then opened the site in PM 28.6.1 in an empty new profile to try to see what was different, and my AV promptly blocked an attack. I won't be opening it again without blockers. Perhaps the zippyshare link can be removed, or else broken and put under hide tags with a warning...?

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-08-12, 11:19

attack malware?
ok....

I suggest a adblocker like UBO.
I'd be stunned if it was really "malware"
Off-topic:
Anyways I came to report google drive not playing either.
Not sure if related.
Off-topic:
fixed with 3rd party cookies
ImageImage

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-14, 18:59

Oh, so what, if we read between the lines, this is not a video you're attempting to play online, this is a video that you downloaded & then are attempting to drag into PM to play?

And what, you're running XP?
OS will matter.

Well... thank you for that.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-15, 11:27

not a video you're attempting to play online, this is a video that you downloaded & then are attempting to drag into PM to play
OK, actually, you are able (should be able) to do both.

@coffeebreak, what OS are you on?

I couldn't get it to play online, in PM, on Win7.
Maybe an .mp4 setting change?