Java libnpjp2.so not found

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
michaelbr

Java libnpjp2.so not found

Unread post by michaelbr » 2019-07-31, 14:02

I had similar problem before, was solved thanks to those who helped me out. This time the problem is different. I've installed latest Open JDK Java (only JRE not JDK), used the following commands to install it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install default-jre
Installed PM 28.6.1 by following instructions on this http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/07/16/install-pale-moon-ubuntu-16-04/
I can confirm Java is installed by running

$Java -version
and the output is

openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_222-8u222-b10-1ubuntu1~16.04.1-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.222-b10, mixed mode)
I tried to follow the steps from my last time https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=21711, but the file libnpjp2 is not there, I tried with this command and it came back empty

locate libnpjp2.so
Can I just download the libnpjp2? and where I'm supposed to save it? (the directory structure seems different from JDK. Since I messed up big time the last time, I'll be sure to make no more mistakes.
ps: I ran these commands from terminal

sudo updatedb --prunepaths='/tmp /var/spool /media /mnt'
locate libnpjp2.so
ls -al /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
the middle one came back empty and the last one returned

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 31 15:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 29 20:59 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 Jul 29 20:59 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   39 Jul 31 15:57 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-javaplugin.so

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Java libnpjp2.so not found

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2019-07-31, 19:11

I'd suggest looking for an icedtea plugin package and installing that, the plugin is a separate package. As an alternative to the openjre / openjdk (openjdk is the same but includes developer tools you don't need to just run java apps) and icedtea opensource combo you might find there are sun / oracle java packages too, probably with separate plugin packages for them, depending on what your distro provides.
Aside from packages you can get the plugin from Oracle Java direct too, download and follow the instructions, then you might end up with openjre for some java things and the oracle plugin for others, which can still work.
Sometimes not all java packages work as it's not used so much as it was.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

michaelbr

Re: Java libnpjp2.so not found

Unread post by michaelbr » 2019-08-01, 07:41

Thanks so much, this solved my problem.