'Good Twitter' Add-on

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Genny

'Good Twitter' Add-on

Unread post by Genny » 2019-07-23, 05:30

"Good Twitter" is a new add-on that allows Twitter users to revert to the original design version. The new design is awful.
This is all I know about the origin of the add-on. I tried it in Firefox and it works. I would love to be able to use it in Pale Moon, my fav browser. Thank you.

https://github.com/ZusorCode/GoodTwitter

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: 'Good Twitter' Add-on

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-23, 06:21

Okay. That's nice but what do you want anyone here to do?

Takanashi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Takanashi » 2019-07-23, 06:36

Genny wrote:
2019-07-23, 05:30
"Good Twitter" is a new add-on that allows Twitter users to revert to the original design version. The new design is awful.
This is all I know about the origin of the add-on. I tried it in Firefox and it works. I would love to be able to use it in Pale Moon, my fav browser. Thank you.

https://github.com/ZusorCode/GoodTwitter
this addon just changes user agent for twitter to

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 9.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0)
you can do it yourself in about:config page by adding new override rule

general.useragent.override.twitter.com

Genny

Unread post by Genny » 2019-07-24, 01:50

Thank you very much for your information. I'm not sure I know how to do that. Not very techie :-(
I found the about:config page, but don't see where to add the new line of code. general.useragent.override.twitter.com

update: Whoo! Hoo! I figured it out! Thank you so much!!
Last edited by Genny on 2019-07-24, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-24, 03:24

Genny wrote:
2019-07-24, 01:50
I'm not sure I know how to do that.
Read this post and adapt the instructions for Twitter.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2019-07-25, 08:22

It turns out changing the useragent for Twitter somehow disables the ability to paste links. :?

Is there a way to correct this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-25, 10:09

Daikun wrote:
2019-07-25, 08:22
Stop using social media?

Seriously though, there probably isn't a way around it. If you want full functionality, Twitter likely forces you to use their "new and improved" interface.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-26, 05:58

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-25, 10:09
Stop using social media?
I think that you made a typo there. Let me fix that for you:

Stop using social media.

or perhaps
Off-topic:
Stop using social media.

This will solve your social media problems. Seriously, folks. I would suggest that you consider this.
Genny wrote:
2019-07-23, 05:30
"Good Twitter" is a new add-on that allows Twitter users to revert to the original design version.
Why is it called "good", then? Wouldn't "old" or "previous" make more sense? ;)

As I have said elsewhere, for every person stuck in a lavatory without toilet paper whose day is saved thanks to Twitter, there are untold others whose lives are greatly harmed by it.

I'm not saying that it ought not to exist.

I am saying, however, that most people ought not to be using it. It ought to be some niche (/niːʃ/) or otherwise less used medium than it currently is.
Off-topic:
With all of that said, though, Twitter is in a number of ways probably the least objectionable social media platform, at least in theory. That's not going to change my mind about social media, but I nevertheless will admit that.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-07-31, 05:13

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-26, 05:58

As I have said elsewhere, for every person stuck in a lavatory without toilet paper whose day is saved thanks to Twitter,
Off-topic:
They wipe with their phones set to the Twitter app? :lol:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-31, 17:59

moonbat wrote:
2019-07-31, 05:13
Off-topic:
They wipe with their phones set to the Twitter app? :lol:
I'm was referring to a story that I remember from the second half of the 2000s (if I'm remembering correctly. It could have been slightly later) when a man was stuck in a lavatory without toilet paper, and sent out a tweet that was an equivalent to an "SOS" (so to speak). Someone read his tweet, and brought him some toilet paper.

It's an old story, but it was the first thing that I remember hearing about Twitter. Prior to that, I don't think that I had heard of it (if I had, I didn't know what it was).
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-08-01, 03:33

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-31, 17:59
It's an old story, but it was the first thing that I remember hearing about Twitter.
Very apt, considering Twitter for what it is.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Genny

Unread post by Genny » 2019-08-29, 16:13

Daikun wrote:
2019-07-25, 08:22
It turns out changing the useragent for Twitter somehow disables the ability to paste links. :?

I'm having the same issue with pasting after changing it back and have found no solution yet. But the original version without pasting is still better than the twitter update.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-30, 05:21

Moonchild wrote:
Stop using social media?
Says the one with a Pale Moon account.

Oh wait, it was parsed with the sarcasm BBcode...

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-08-30, 05:24

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-26, 05:58
Off-topic:
With all of that said, though, Twitter is in a number of ways probably the least objectionable social media platform, at least in theory. That's not going to change my mind about social media, but I nevertheless will admit that.
Absolutely, unequivocally NOT!

I have seen so many accounts banned for bull shit, likes and follows purged and fucked with, etc.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, they all can suxx and swallow.

Their API is a fuck over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-1RhQ1uuQ4

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-08-30, 05:39

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-30, 05:21
Businesses and the like often have social media accounts irrespective of whether or not the people who run the businesses have personal social media accounts. I don't like that, personally, as I do not like social media, but a. I don't run a business, and I am not faced with the simple fact that if I didn't have such accounts to represent and advertise my business, I would be missing out on a lot of money and potential consumers, and b. it's up to them, and it's their business, so why do I care?
And, yes, Moonchild's comments were in sarcasm tags. :D
F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-30, 05:24
Absolutely, unequivocally NOT!

I have seen so many accounts banned for [...]
That's why I said "in theory". In practice, yes, it's another story.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-30, 09:02

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-08-30, 05:21
Moonchild wrote:
Stop using social media?
I use Twitter because people expect this from software vendors. I only use it as a makeshift social media announce channel, though.
I could do without, sure, but for the moment this works reasonably well for a little extra exposure; it also allows me to reply to misinformation tweets in an official capacity which is just as important.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Zusor

Unread post by Zusor » 2019-11-20, 15:50

Hi, I'm the developer of GoodTwitter and someone asked me to look into this. I specifically don't know a lot about Pale and the people here probably know more than I do.
As for what GoodTwitter does (on Firefox). It replaces the User Agent on Twitter with "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; AS; rv:11.0) Waterfox/56.2 ";
It looks for any cookies in the header with the name rweb_optin and sets it to rweb_optin=off
And it runs this:

window.eval(`
Object.defineProperty(navigator, 'userAgent', {
  get: ()=>"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0"
})
`)
because Firefox gets confused about its own User Agent when it is changed in the header.
I don't know if Firefox addons are just compatible with Pale by default but if they are the only thing that would have to be changed is the useragent in the third part.
I personally don't have the time or motivation to learn a different addon system but this might help in making the addon work Pale

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-20, 15:55

Welcome to the fold! Glad to see another extension dev poking their head in.

Changing a useragent for any website in Pale Moon is as simple as setting a pref: general.useragent.override.{hostname} (string) -- the extension could just set-and-forget it.

So that would just leave changing cookie contents as something needed, and potentially the same hack for navigator.* (Is Twitter really still using the navigator object? Thats been deprecated for many years now).
Off-topic:
Also moved this from browser suggestions as it's about an extension.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-21, 04:23

Zusor wrote:
2019-11-20, 15:50
I personally don't have the time or motivation to learn a different addon system but this might help in making the addon work Pale
If your extension was originally made using the 'legacy' addon API (XUL overlay or bootstrap) that was deprecated in FF 57, then it should largely work unchanged. If your addon was a WebExtension to begin with, it will have to be rewritten to work with Pale Moon (it's not called Pale :) ). I couldn't find it in either of the legacy addon sources.

chiaroscuro

Unread post by chiaroscuro » 2019-11-23, 05:44

Most informative discussion

Thanks to all concerned

I am running Pale Moon Version 28.7.2

I am running Windows 7

I have found that if in about:config I put the following

general.useragent.override.twitter.com

followed by the string

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:4.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/28.7.2