ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-27, 19:09

moonshiner wrote:
2019-05-27, 17:56
It works for me too, thanks for the quick fix. It's not ematrix which creates the extension-data folder. I had this empty folder on my profile too, I deleted it and reinstalled ematrix and no new extension-data folder was created.
Well, at least it's one good news.
Michaell wrote:
2019-05-27, 18:48
I found it after restarting the browser. Before that I could have missed it. If it doesn't occur for others, just ignore.

Regarding the empty folder, it was the timestamp that indicated it had just been created minutes before. And I didn't do it.:) There's no uMatrix or uBlock installed in this profile (I don't believe I have used uMatrix except on older versions of PM, and each new install gets a new profile but I import my rules and maybe settings from earlier.) I found the below using the old-fashioned DOS command Find, so that may or may not be the cause:
(in js folder) VAPI-BACKGROUND.JS [360] path2.append('extension-data');
359 let path2 = Services.dirsvc.get('ProfD', Ci.nsIFile);
360 path2.append('extension-data');
361 path2.append(location.host + '.sqlite');
I know where the folder is called, but that shouldn't create the file. In fact, the folder is empty, but if the extension were to create something from those lines then it would also create an sqlite database. Also, moonshiner doesn't report any newly-created folder.
You should run these tests with a clean profile. It would really help both of us, as one of the possibilities is that your profile got corrupted.
So far you're the only one reporting these hard-to-reproduce issues. The keyword is "hard-to-reproduce" rather than anything else.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-27, 21:25

Updating from 1.3.2 to 2.1.0 removes the sqlite file AND updates the timestamp of the now empty extension-data folder. So it's all good.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-29, 12:04

That's good. I'll officially release the new version as soon as possible, either later today or before the end of the week (I've been a bit busy with unrelated stuff.)

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-06-11, 06:42

Is there my local bug?
MediaSource - Web APIs
frame blocked, but frame address apsent in ematrix :think:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-11, 06:48

I'm getting the normal eMatrix panel listing every domain.
From your image I see you have "*.mozilla.org" rather than "mozilla.org" followed by "developer.mozilla.org", which is probably why you can't allow the frame to load.
Do you have any particular setting? Maybe export your current settings and give them to me, so that I can try them on my machine.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-06-11, 08:37

Thank you vannilla for a quick reply.
Благодарю тебя ванилла за скорый ответ
I checked my rules, deleted the last ones I added and ... it looks like it was exactly the (?:glitch|bug) associated with my incorrect blocking rules.
я проверил свои правила, поудалял крайние добавленные и... похоже это был именно глюк связанный с моими неверными правилами

Its OK now Сейчас все хорошо
Image :thumbup:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-11, 08:46

Good to know that everything worked out fine. :)

ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2019-06-25, 01:57

Feature Wish: This is not at all essential in any way, and there is no pressure at all in implementing it. It is more of a personal wish which other people may also find desirable.

Currently "1st-party" refers to the current domain. Might it be possible/easy (or maybe it is pointless?) to have an option for "1st-party" to refer instead to the current website? The idea is that you may want to easily give a broad array of rights to the specific website one visits, without at the same time giving that same broad array of rights to its "sister" websites. This might come in handy, for instance if there are website pairs such as Useful.Domain.net and Unwanted.Domain.net. If one boldly gives rights to 1st-party (n order not to have to unbreak every website one visits), then both Useful.Domain.net and Unwanted.Domain.net will receive those rights.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-25, 11:01

I believe you can do that by operating on the blue bar with the website name.
If it's not what you are looking for, please post a detailed list of the differences.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-25, 11:32

ltcomdata wrote:
2019-06-25, 01:57
Currently "1st-party" refers to the current domain. Might it be possible/easy (or maybe it is pointless?) to have an option for "1st-party" to refer instead to the current website? The idea is that you may want to easily give a broad array of rights to the specific website one visits, without at the same time giving that same broad array of rights to its "sister" websites.
This won't work for the simple reason that a "website" is undefined from a networking point of view. A website may pull in data from dozens of domains; those same domains may be used on "sister" websites that you don't want to grant access to. A network connection or cookie does not know from which "website" it is being requested since that concept is abstract.

e.g. "Main website" is hosted on example.com, "Other website" is hosted on example2.com
Both websites pull in data from subresource.com and images.com (3rd party domains, since you don't go to those domains directly) that want to set cookies.
If you were to elevate the status of subresource.com and images.com because you whitelist "Main website" and everything it loads as a subresource, then that elevated status will persist for all other sites, including if example2.com loads resources from them. In addition, you would have to continuously add 3rd party domains to that elevated list each time example.com loads resources from a different domain, for each visit. If you happen to whitelist a website with ads, then all of the advertising network's domains in use would be whitelisted (and gein privilege on all other websites). I'm sure that's not what you want ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-19, 14:26

ηMatrix 3.0.0 beta is tentatively out:
https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/-/tags/3.0.0

While there aren't any strictly incompatible changes, there were some significant changes anyway and I think it's better to make it clear that something major happened.
This is a test release. If you want to help, please try at least the following:
  • Make a new empty profile and install ηMatrix 3.0.0
  • Check that it is installed correctly and it does block elements
  • Mess around with it as usual and see if it works
  • If you think things have slowed down or it is using more memory than the previous version, report immediately
  • Delete the created profile and make a new one (alternatively, uninstall ηMatrix and delete any ηMatrix-related file and setting, but it's faster to simply make a new profile for testing)
  • Install ηMatrix 2.1.0
  • Use it for a while (just visit a couple sites and change some settings)
  • Try to update to 3.0.0 manually
  • See if it works as intended (the settings are kept, etc.)
If you are testing it and see anything funny, report it here or on gitlab.
Thanks.

Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2019-07-23, 02:57

Sorry for the intrusion, but I need help learning to wrangle this extension, and haven't found a "user guide for idiot newbies" anywhere yet. I just switched to eMatrix from NoScript about an hour ago (as it was recommended as a Pale Moon compatible replacement for NoScript, which I've used for years) and would like to know how to re-enable videos on YouTube. Actually, I can't get GIFs to play on Facebook anymore either; but I need to access a tutorial video on YouTube ASAP so I'm focusing on that issue right now. I understand the "instructions" for eMatrix talk about pointing-and-clicking on green or red squares to enable/disable various scripts...but damned if I can figure out what script I need to enable to let videos play, or even if I understand how to enable/disable scripts correctly.

Here is a screenshot of my current setup when I'm on YouTube. The two solid green squares near the top (youtube[.]com; css and image columns) were my doing as I tried to "fix" things myself, the rest is the default settings. Page loads like normal except the video won't play and just stays in "white circle loading" mode. I have visited several different YouTube pages, and it's the same on them all.

Any help and advice as to what the heck I'm doing wrong would be great! (Don't know if it matters, but I'm also running uBlockOrigin; but I was also using that with NoScript with no issues. I did try disabling uBlockOrigin before coming here for help, just in case.)

Thanks again for any help!
eMatrix_YouTube.png
Browser: Pale Moon (29.2.0 32 bit)

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-07-23, 03:44

Youtube belongs to google, so you will need googlevideo.com. Click the field with the text googlevideo.com in the first column whre i've added a green dot, this will also enable all the subdomains (they have a lot). then reload the page. With a click on the lock symbol in the top line you can save the setting for the future, you will need it for every youtube video.

I can't see your settings in ublock but make sure that googlevideo.com is also enabled there.
Attachments
eMatrix_YouTube2.png

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-23, 11:42

Unfortunately there can't really be a more complete user guide than "make it green to enable it, red to block it". Most of the time using this extension means essentially enabling random things until the site works.
I understand if you can't put up with this, so unless you really want to commit yourself to it, just using uBlock should be fine (uBlock has an "advanced mode" which acts as a simplified uMatrix/eMatrix.)

As for "fixing" Youtube, follow kalrkracher's advice. For Facebook it's probably something similar.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2019-07-23, 14:20

I use nMatrix with YouTube and you have to greenlight that Youtube video bar. Also, that R2---- hash is a unique session ID that changes every time you close + open your browser. This is how Google tracks you from one video to the next. I assume it has to do with how its AI defines "relative content/videos"
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-23, 14:38

Zirconia Wolf wrote:
2019-07-23, 02:57
haven't found a "user guide for idiot newbies" anywhere yet.
For me the uMatrix wiki on GitHub was extremely helpful.
It's linked, btw, in the eMatrix Dashboard > About tab > "uMatrix links" > "Documentation".

You might start with these wiki sections:
Also, at the bottom of the wiki's front page is a link to this tutorial video:
How to use uMatrix to protect your online privacy & improve security | uMatrix tutorial

Zirconia Wolf
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Zirconia Wolf » 2019-07-23, 16:29

Awesomesauce. Thanks for the advice; it was all excellent and very helpful. (Link to the Wiki thing was especially good- thank you!) I'm sure it's juts a matter of getting use to the interface (which is a lot different than NoScript; not in a bad way, just different) which will take a bit for my little brain to accept...but I have faith I'll get there eventually. I hadn't realized that Google was now wrapped up with YouTube; I never would have thought to try enabling that particular entry!

Thanks again!
Browser: Pale Moon (29.2.0 32 bit)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-23, 23:29

Please always remember that eMatrix is and will always be for advanced users, so the learning curve is real.

As a side note, if no one is going to say anything about v3.0.0 (which is a good thing! If it works you don't really have to tell me), I'm going to officially release it next week (day more day less.)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-24, 03:07

vannilla wrote:
2019-07-23, 23:29
if no one is going to say anything about v3.0.0 (which is a good thing! If it works you don't really have to tell me), I'm going to officially release it next week (day more day less.)
I've noticed one issue - it actually applies to v2.1.0 as well as 3.0.0 (but isn't present in v1.4.0.).

It's not possible to remove a custom-added hosts list by clicking the trash can icon + "Apply changes". It can only be removed by returning all settings to default.

Trying to remove a list put this in the console:

Code: Select all

Error: ReferenceError: cacheRemove is not defined
Source File: chrome://ematrix/content/js/assets.js
Line: 926

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-24, 11:11

Thanks for reporting.
Can you try this one: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/-/tags/3.0.1

Make sure the list is actually deleted from the database (you might need to inspect the ematrix.sqlite file.)