21 July Update Broke Something

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

21 July Update Broke Something

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-21, 15:24

I updated the unstable build today, and for the first time - after updating it literally dozens of times in the past - I got this message when the program tried to reopen.
As you can see, I also tried to start it directly from the .exe file, but got the same result.

I know it's called "unstable" for a reason, and I always have a backup, so it's no problem.

Could someone please tell me where I could look to try to ascertain what the problem is?

Thank you.

P.S. I just tried it again starting from scratch (i.e., I used my backup); the same thing happened.

I'm going to try to download it rather than update.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: 21 July Update Broke Something

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-21, 16:29

I suppose I should emphasize here that my problem originally appeared in the unstable portable version.

To test, I decided to try a zip version.

With the vanilla profile, it worked fine. Then, I imported my "portable" profile, and the same problem appeared. Since I know the devs reject NoScript, I removed it; I also removed my third-party full theme (Red Cats Green Flavor). The problem remained.

Now I'm going to try another test with a download of the portable.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-07-21, 16:48

Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-07-21, 16:54

It may be related to some major changes done in JS engine today. Keep cool!

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-21, 17:25

Nightbird wrote:
2019-07-21, 16:48
Install AppCrashView, please
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html
I did, thanks. I'm afraid it didn't show anything.
adesh wrote:
2019-07-21, 16:54
It may be related to some major changes done in JS engine today. Keep cool!
Thanks, but as I've written, I have lots of backups, so the issue doesn't really "bother" me at all. In this regard I'm totally cool.

In fact, I actually discovered what the problem is, and something else of interest.

1. The problem is the addon "customize_titlebar_v2 0.8". Disabling it allowed today's update to start with no problem. And, interestingly, my custom titlebar title continued to work. :)

2. An issue of more general interest, I think, is related to Pale Moon Commander, v.3.0.0.

When I clicked on Tools -> Advanced Preferences, today's update crashes - every time.

I've just tried it with the unstable version from 18 July, and there was no crash.

I also went back and tried it with the zip version of today's unstable build. It crashed, too.

I hope this helps.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-07-21, 18:53

Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-21, 19:18

I should remind people that running the unstable channel version, you can obviously run into stability issues with the browser.

We are aware of one particular oversight that can cause crashes (esp when opening Pale Moon Commander 3.0.0 or visiting a webpage that throws a particular JS error). Issue #1195 (UXP)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-21, 19:46

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-21, 19:18
I should remind people that running the unstable channel version, you can obviously run into stability issues with the browser.
If you're talking to me, please see my original post.
Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-21, 19:18
We are aware of one particular oversight that can cause crashes (esp when opening Pale Moon Commander 3.0.0 or visiting a webpage that throws a particular JS error). Issue #1195 (UXP)
Any examples of the webpages in question?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-22, 01:07

JoeyG wrote:
2019-07-21, 19:46
If you're talking to me, please see my original post.
Not to anyone in particular or I would have mentioned by name.
Just in response to the general posts made here -- a reminder, nothing more.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-22, 16:21

If it's of any interest, whatever fixed the problem with Pale Moon Commander in today's (22.07) unstable update also fixed the crash caused by the addon customize_titlebar_v2 0.8
:clap:

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-07-22, 16:23

Yes, it was a single issue mentioned above.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-22, 16:46

adesh wrote:
2019-07-22, 16:23
Yes, it was a single issue mentioned above.
My sincere thanks to whomever it was who fixed it.