Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Unread post by illiad » 2019-07-07, 21:56

any browser should play webm, plus lots of convertors out there , include a 'not online' one... :)

billmcct: It depends on how much 'work' you want to get mp4's.. (I am guessing you do not have a samsung TV, that will play ANY format, even .VOB!!)

If you only want 360 or 720 vids, you can switch off MSE, and save as .MP4 by right-clicking the YT vid twice.. then you have to rename it to the proper title... :zzz: :crazy:

me, I can save from yt up to 2160 (4K!!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: PM for link..
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2019-07-07, 23:34

You could also question yourself why you want to bloat your browser to improve experience for ONLY ONE website, while there are other standalone applications (who I won't mention to keep this answer future-proof) who do the same thing for MORE websites.

Oh, and don't look that keen on file extensions. You rather want to look at the used codec settings of that video file rather than decide on the three or four last characters after the dot.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-08, 02:28

Still illegal :wave:

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-07-08, 20:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-07-08, 02:28
Still illegal :wave:
MANY things are illegal, but there are many manufactured devices made to do those illegal things.... eg tape copying is illegal, but there are more than 3million ways to do it...
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-07-08, 21:48

RoestVrijStaal wrote:
2019-07-07, 23:34
You could also question yourself why you want to bloat your browser to improve experience for ONLY ONE website, while there are other standalone applications (who I won't mention to keep this answer future-proof) who do the same thing for MORE websites.
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about..
RoestVrijStaal wrote:Oh, and don't look that keen on file extensions. You rather want to look at the used codec settings of that video file rather than decide on the three or four last characters after the dot.
I am sure many don't believe all they see.. especially when their media player says it cannot play it..

there is a tool called 'mediainfo' available separately or as part of 'klite codecs' that is very useful.. :)

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2019-07-10, 23:11

illiad wrote:
2019-07-08, 21:48
RoestVrijStaal wrote:
2019-07-07, 23:34
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about..
There are tools like youtube-dl and jDownloader which could also grab the video from Youtube's competitors, instead of only Youtube. And often comes with more features. Which makes it unnecessary to install an extension for scooping up video's from YouTube only.
illiad wrote:
2019-07-08, 21:48
RoestVrijStaal wrote:Oh, and don't look that keen on file extensions. You rather want to look at the used codec settings of that video file rather than decide on the three or four last characters after the dot.
I am sure many don't believe all they see.. especially when their media player says it cannot play it..

there is a tool called 'mediainfo' available separately or as part of 'klite codecs' that is very useful.. :)
Positive. MediaInfo is a good tool. Although Phil Harvey's exiftool is a good alternative.

tonyburgos

Unread post by tonyburgos » 2019-07-15, 02:57

Other youtube downloader online is https://en.savefrom.net/ and you do not need an extension in the browser to make the conversions you want.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-07-16, 22:44

tonyburgos wrote:
2019-07-15, 02:57
Other youtube downloader online is https://en.savefrom.net/ and you do not need an extension in the browser to make the conversions you want.
yes, no extension, but have you tried the website??

1) copy yt link
2) goto website
3) select resolution
4) click download..... You do not get a save prompt! it take you straight to 'subscribe to this website for $$$ '

and then you notice 'save at slow speed' - same number of steps..

with the extension I use, ONE click will get a fast download at the resolution already set in YT... :shrug:

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-07-18, 20:53

tonyburgos wrote:
Thanks, but that's not what I want. I DO want an extension with fast download after 1-2 clicks, no copying and pasting, no going to other sites or other software. I do have downnloader programmes that work, but I find them to tedious for everyday use.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-18, 23:53

Crying because stealing content you don't own and have no rights to, save viewing it online, is too hard eh? SO SAD!

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-19, 01:08

Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-07-18, 20:53
Thanks, but that's not what I want. I DO want an extension with fast download after 1-2 clicks, no copying and pasting, no going to other sites or other software. I do have downnloader programmes that work, but I find them to tedious for everyday use.
Youtube and other such sites purposely make downloading their videos very difficult. As long as this is the case, there will never be a quick and easy magic silver bullet solution that will "just work".
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-07-19, 11:59

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-07-18, 23:53
Crying because stealing content you don't own and have no rights to, save viewing it online, is too hard eh? SO SAD!
I 'steal' content for a friend, because of circumstances, has no internet. I also 'steal' music content which I don't already have for use of in my car. Shoot me I'm breaking the law :roll:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-19, 12:07

So stealing is ok because it isn't for yourself. K.

How about this: I start reporting you to content owners, your ISP, and local or national authorities.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-07-19, 12:31

:clap: :clap: ok I'll stop immediately.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-07-19, 17:31

of all the things to get self-righteous about..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-19, 17:43

fillerup wrote:
2019-07-19, 17:31
of all the things to get self-righteous about..
What? Not being a casual open public filthy scum sucking thieving pirate championing and promoting the fact that they are a criminal violating the rights of others all around the world while bitching how difficult it is when they have to work for it not to mention violating the law?

Yep, sure is strange to advocate for people's rights and the rule of law. OH and calling out the same degenerate people that helped scare a bunch of corporations concerned with your stealing to allow GOOGLE to push DRM into the html standard. Thanks for that by the way! Yep, no doubt you can be a criminal and think it is alright, it is your choice after all.

However, don't EVER expect you won't catch shit if you tell everyone.. constantly.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-07-19, 17:49

the premise that all forms of video downloading is content-theft kills any desire i might have to get into a shouting match with you, let alone address the hilariously pompous and over-the-top manner in which you vilify this practice

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-19, 17:55

If the site does not give you a method of downloading the media it is reasonable to assume that you are only allowed to stream the content. But sure.. Let's use the times when it is ok to justify doing it across the board. What a flawed argument. Did you ask the content creator of the last video you downloaded from youtube if you were allowed to? Have you ever asked anyone? Then what makes you think what you are doing is right let alone legal? Hmm? Because you have thus far faced no actual consequences? WELL even if you don't personally face them THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES. EME is one of them AND it is YOUR fault cause YOU contributed to this culture of theft of intellectual property.

HELL it is even worse than that.. But I will let you respond first.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-07-19, 18:04

You're aware of course that yt hosts copyright material that the uploaders have no rights to.

So even viewing it is a bit naughty.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2019-07-19, 20:47

Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-07-18, 20:53
tonyburgos wrote:
Moving & clicking with your mouse and/or pressing an arbitrary amount of keys on your keyboard to pass and process an url from one application to another ...is tedious? How?